Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Museums

54 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're going again on Sunday, and taking the other half's Dad for the first time. He's YouTube'd the beam engines and can't wait lol

See if you go on the underground tour (gets oily!!!).…. Some old duffer took me the maintenance bay underneath the engines…. It was sooooo cool…. I’m excited for you!!!

Viktor Wynd's Museum of Curiosities in Dalston is great. 

If you're into things like a jar of Amy Winehouse's poo, the mummified boner of an auto-asphyxiated man, two-headed cats, and a giant gold-plated hippo skull once owned by Pablo Escobar... Then it's a great place.

I love all that stuff (and I like the posh cocktails they serve) so it was 5* from me. 

Thank you everyone for your contributions.

Did the one in Maidstone today - just a small museum but does have a mummy in there which is fascinating, as well as quite a lot of world war stuff.

I get up to the City quite a bit now, so when I have a gap between meeetings (which I may deliberately create) I'm desperate to do the Imperial War Museum again.

No one has really commented on the V&A museum... is it any good?

National Railway Museum in York. So many iconic steam engines. Actually, York is fantastic for anyone who likes a bit of history.

Crich tram museum is equally good.

I enjoy pottering around New Walk every other year or so.

On a side note, managed to notice that my auto-correct had changed "pottering" to "littering", just as I was about to press submit. Would've cast me in an entirely different light. lol

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

National Railway Museum in York. So many iconic steam engines. Actually, York is fantastic for anyone who likes a bit of history.

Crich tram museum is equally good.

I enjoy pottering around New Walk every other year or so.

On a side note, managed to notice that my auto-correct had changed "pottering" to "littering", just as I was about to press submit. Would've cast me in an entirely different light. lol

Living here I take it for granted and can't remember the last time I went to a museum. I have some time off next week before starting a new job so was thinking of going to some of the lesser known museums.

Going to the Minster on Saturday and hopefully up the tower. Don't think I've done that since I was about 5 years old!