Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Sekiro

Anyone else played this yet? Spent the last few days on this and developed a predictable love hate relationship with this game as I did with all the Souls games. 

Very very challenging causing many rage quits but also immense satisfaction when you clear an area.

There's an interesting discussion within the community about the games difficulty (it only has one setting) and whether it being so hard is excluding members of the community. Personally it's the challenge that I love and makes the game rewarding but do sympathise, as there are people (my 58 year old dad who likes games), who'd never progress past the intro area. 

Like to hear if anyone else has got it and how they're finding it as I'm hooked. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally completed it last week and have some very positive and negative experiences which kind of reflect the queries above.  Probably the last game I've played through without distraction from any other game since Witcher 3, I really enjoyed it.  There are four endings and not sure I have the stamina to go through this again however.

On 23/04/2019 at 13:21, Kyuubi said:

I'm picking this up soon, absolutely love the souls series! How do you find this one compared to the others?

I found the combat a lot more fast paced and challenging than the Souls games which was a positive.  However, the "skill" progression and equipment is way short of what I was used to on Souls games.  This goes two ways, yes it's nice to not faff about grinding for items and it's good to just play the game (reminds me of Jade Empire and it's fantastic lack of any items, what a game...segway) but I do feel this game missed out by not having the collecting element.  Yes there are upgrades to your prosthetic tools, but I didn't find this an adequate substitute.  They have just issued a patch to make the skills easier to unlock which might make this lack of items less of an issue.

The world is so much nicer than the Souls world and it's nice to actually play this type of game in a bright environment as Dark Souls was rather dark (no sh**t).  The story is typical with the series ie not really having a clue what's going on similar to Dark Souls the first play through.

Really enjoyed it, not as much as Dark Souls 3, my favourite, but I found it challenging, fun and one of the few gaming experiences where you felt really pleased when you beat a boss.  Not throwing shade, but I gave up on Red Dead recently as it was so easy I lost interest completely.  The challenge was what kept me on this.  I would have said if you like Dark Souls games then you'll love this, but I've seen a few people who didn't get into it so hard to advise either way.

On 23/04/2019 at 15:45, Carl the Llama said:

I'd heard this one's more forgiving then other Souls titles, is that wrong?

Bit of a mix, the last boss (whom I won't name as it's a spoiler) was significantly harder than anything I've fought in any of the Souls games or Bloodborne.  As with these games, once you've figured out the mechanics to beating the boss, it's just a matter of execution which is significantly easier said than done.  Where it is easier, is that levelling up and obtaining new items doesn't really slow you down.  As a result, you can tackle almost anything from the off which is something you can't really get away with in Souls. I'd probably nudge Sekiro as harder, as I'm re-playing Dark Souls (I picked up the remastered version) and found it surprisingly slow and easy to boss dodge.  Another thing edging Sekiro on difficulty is that it's quite tricky to lure enemies away like you could in Souls to get group fights down to 1 on 1.  Saying that, the stealth element of the game means you can execute someone and then hide for a minute and then repeat.

43 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Is this worth sticking with?

I love the Souls series, but I'm not a bit fan of platforming games, or games where I spend ages getting lost. Started this, but put the game down after only about 10 minutes - not sure whether to stick with it.

I'd definitely stick with it, I only really got into this game after the first boss (the guy on the massive horse following the chase by the huge snake).  It was also quite a good game to pick up and put down again.  I'd usually just do an hour or so a day or whenever I cleared a mini-boss or found a new checkpoint.  With regards to the platforming, I wouldn't worry too much about that.  It's a means to an ends of traversing the world and isn't really an integral part of the game so isn't a key thing to get good at or do too often.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Bit of a mix, the last boss (whom I won't name as it's a spoiler) was significantly harder than anything I've fought in any of the Souls games or Bloodborne.

I

Harder than Freide? Her, and the twin demons, took me forever (with Nameless King being a close third).

Might give it another go then. I only got to the part where I got the prosthetic lol 

On 24/04/2019 at 16:52, Zear0 said:

So I finally completed it last week and have some very positive and negative experiences which kind of reflect the queries above.  Probably the last game I've played through without distraction from any other game since Witcher 3, I really enjoyed it.  There are four endings and not sure I have the stamina to go through this again however.

I found the combat a lot more fast paced and challenging than the Souls games which was a positive.  However, the "skill" progression and equipment is way short of what I was used to on Souls games.  This goes two ways, yes it's nice to not faff about grinding for items and it's good to just play the game (reminds me of Jade Empire and it's fantastic lack of any items, what a game...segway) but I do feel this game missed out by not having the collecting element.  Yes there are upgrades to your prosthetic tools, but I didn't find this an adequate substitute.  They have just issued a patch to make the skills easier to unlock which might make this lack of items less of an issue.

The world is so much nicer than the Souls world and it's nice to actually play this type of game in a bright environment as Dark Souls was rather dark (no sh**t).  The story is typical with the series ie not really having a clue what's going on similar to Dark Souls the first play through.

Really enjoyed it, not as much as Dark Souls 3, my favourite, but I found it challenging, fun and one of the few gaming experiences where you felt really pleased when you beat a boss.  Not throwing shade, but I gave up on Red Dead recently as it was so easy I lost interest completely.  The challenge was what kept me on this.  I would have said if you like Dark Souls games then you'll love this, but I've seen a few people who didn't get into it so hard to advise either way.

Bit of a mix, the last boss (whom I won't name as it's a spoiler) was significantly harder than anything I've fought in any of the Souls games or Bloodborne.  As with these games, once you've figured out the mechanics to beating the boss, it's just a matter of execution which is significantly easier said than done.  Where it is easier, is that levelling up and obtaining new items doesn't really slow you down.  As a result, you can tackle almost anything from the off which is something you can't really get away with in Souls. I'd probably nudge Sekiro as harder, as I'm re-playing Dark Souls (I picked up the remastered version) and found it surprisingly slow and easy to boss dodge.  Another thing edging Sekiro on difficulty is that it's quite tricky to lure enemies away like you could in Souls to get group fights down to 1 on 1.  Saying that, the stealth element of the game means you can execute someone and then hide for a minute and then repeat.

I'd definitely stick with it, I only really got into this game after the first boss (the guy on the massive horse following the chase by the huge snake).  It was also quite a good game to pick up and put down again.  I'd usually just do an hour or so a day or whenever I cleared a mini-boss or found a new checkpoint.  With regards to the platforming, I wouldn't worry too much about that.  It's a means to an ends of traversing the world and isn't really an integral part of the game so isn't a key thing to get good at or do too often.

Did you get the Ringed City dlc for 3.

If it's harder than Gael I am out. lol 

• 11 months later...

I've just picked this up.  Does anybody know how to use the ceramic shards correctly?  The game introduced them as a way to distract enemies but I can't for the life of me get anyone to respond to them unless I lob it right in their face which kind of defeats the purpose so I've just not been using them.

10 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I've just picked this up.  Does anybody know how to use the ceramic shards correctly?  The game introduced them as a way to distract enemies but I can't for the life of me get anyone to respond to them unless I lob it right in their face which kind of defeats the purpose so I've just not been using them.

They're meant to be used to lure single enemies away from groups. As you said though, they only work by locking on and chucking at their faces. I never successfully used them either as it always ended in a fight.