Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mistyblue

TEAMS INVOLVED IN EUROPE VS LEICESTER

I think in terms of results, it matters little. The teams in Europe have good enough squads and depth to not be that affected to make people think it's guaranteed negative result in the matches that precede and follow a European game.

Last season:

Arsenal beat us before they beat Sporting Lisbon away in the EL.

Spurs beat us before they drew with Barcelona in CL

Spurs beat us before they beat Dortmund in CL

We beat Arsenal before they beat Valencia in EL

We only drew with Chelsea after they went to extra-time against Frankfurt in EL

17/18 season:

Liverpool beat us before they drew with Spartak Moscow in CL
Man City beat us before they beat Feyenoord in CL 

Man City thrashed us before they beat Basel away in CL

I may have missed some games but I don't think it matters as much as people make out. Teams like Man City & Liverpool have so much quality in their squads, especially with the latter as shown last season, that they can manage 2-3 games a week for the whole season much better than the rest of the the league.

Having said that, Liverpool come back from Qatar just before Xmas and therefore just before our game with them on Boxing Day. Dare I say it'll be moved to the 27th though to give them an extra day so may be that'll have a bit more of an effect. 

Think we just need to focus on what we do and play our own game instead of worry too much about how teams will be affected by their own games in Europe.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Arsenal will be moved to Sunday (if it hasn't been already) because of their Europa League games on Thursday.

Newcastle will be moved to Sunday if Man City are playing on Tuesday 1st October.

Arsenal is fixed for Sunday November 10th.

15 minutes ago, Mistyblue said:

Yes fully agree with size of squads and just focussing on our game....but from your post StanSP majority of those games were playing us before Euro games, 3 of the four games are after they have played. I will take any help minimal or not.

Sounds a bit desperate mate lol 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Newcastle will be moved to Sunday if Man City are playing on Tuesday 1st October.

The Newcastle (home) match is provisionally scheduled for Sat 28th Sep 5.30pm

The LCFC web site ticket info says:

"This match will move to Sunday 29 September (4:30pm BST kick-off) should Manchester City be scheduled to play in the Champions League the following Tuesday."

Isn't that the wrong way round?   Surely if Man City have to play on the following Tuesday, it would STAY as a Saturday KO?   Otherwise moving it to Sunday, would reduce their gap to only 2 days?

30 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

The Newcastle (home) match is provisionally scheduled for Sat 28th Sep 5.30pm

The LCFC web site ticket info says:

"This match will move to Sunday 29 September (4:30pm BST kick-off) should Manchester City be scheduled to play in the Champions League the following Tuesday."

Isn't that the wrong way round?   Surely if Man City have to play on the following Tuesday, it would STAY as a Saturday KO?   Otherwise moving it to Sunday, would reduce their gap to only 2 days?

At the moment, Man City are scheduled to play Everton on Sunday as Sky chose it for their fixture.

If their CL game gets scheduled for Tuesday (1st Oct), their game moves to Saturday and swaps with our game against Newcastle.

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

At the moment, Man City are scheduled to play Everton on Sunday as Sky chose it for their fixture.

If their CL game gets scheduled for Tuesday (1st Oct), their game moves to Saturday and swaps with our game against Newcastle.

Of course.  Ignore my post above.  Brain wasn't engaged!

I think it’s got to matter a bit. Spurs and Man U really don’t have good enough squads to be unaffected, Arsenal are ropey in any case and even Liverpool will probably rest at least one of their three following CL-it has to make a difference. 

It’s really only Man City where you wonder where their best XI ends and their back-ups begin...

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

I think in terms of results, it matters little. The teams in Europe have good enough squads and depth to not be that affected to make people think it's guaranteed negative result in the matches that precede and follow a European game.

Last season:

Arsenal beat us before they beat Sporting Lisbon away in the EL.

Spurs beat us before they drew with Barcelona in CL

Spurs beat us before they beat Dortmund in CL

We beat Arsenal before they beat Valencia in EL

We only drew with Chelsea after they went to extra-time against Frankfurt in EL

17/18 season:

Liverpool beat us before they drew with Spartak Moscow in CL
Man City beat us before they beat Feyenoord in CL 

Man City thrashed us before they beat Basel away in CL

I may have missed some games but I don't think it matters as much as people make out. Teams like Man City & Liverpool have so much quality in their squads, especially with the latter as shown last season, that they can manage 2-3 games a week for the whole season much better than the rest of the the league.

Having said that, Liverpool come back from Qatar just before Xmas and therefore just before our game with them on Boxing Day. Dare I say it'll be moved to the 27th though to give them an extra day so may be that'll have a bit more of an effect. 

Think we just need to focus on what we do and play our own game instead of worry too much about how teams will be affected by their own games in Europe.

Your post raises a good point, but It only gives your OPINION as to whether it is good or bad to play a team immediately after a euro match.

It must be pretty easy to go back and work out whether it is actual fact over say 5,or 10 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, treer said:

Your post raises a good point, but It only gives your OPINION as to whether it is good or bad to play a team immediately after a euro match.

It must be pretty easy to go back and work out whether it is actual fact over say 5,or 10 years.

Go on then :D

I think my post gives my opinion as you say. It does also literally give the facts as to what's happened whenever we've played a team before/after their European game in recent history... 

More important imo that teams go deep into European competitions rather than the impact of individual matches. I think we need Wolves to do well in Europa so they are less focussed on 6th/7th, plus other Englush teams to cascade Euro spots down as far as possible by winning the damned things, if we are to have a chance.