Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Frustrating

We got a point against Preston today, but I feel we could have done so much better by taking the game to Preston. We played two defensive central midfielders, and that was the main problem, as we didn't create much. Not many of you like Williams on here, but he can pass a ball, and is creative (when he feels like it).

The midfield I feel that should have started today should have been:

Hammond--Gudjonsson-Williams--Smith

Hammond and Smith would strike fear into the Preston full backs, and Williams would create the chances.

But unfortunately, Levein decided to stick to the same midfield that beat Cov, who are a poor team.

Coming up to the end of the match, hopefully havng scored a couple, we could bring off the two wingers who would have ran ther socks off, and put Sylla and Hammill on.

And obviously, I would lke to see Sheehan in the side :)

As bad as Hamill was on Saturday, and as many moments of genius we saw from Smith the odd time a player looked to see how much space he was in and passed the ball to him, i'd still be suprised to see Smith start on Tuesday. Why? Because it'll completely ruin Leveins defensive gameplan. 60+ minutes of braindead football cancelling each other out, and then throw on Smith to change the game once it's opened up a little more. We can expect a lot from him but not that every game. He's potentially an England international, we've got him for the next 2 months we MUST make the most of it. Southampton are making the most of Walcott at 16, he's coming up with the goods every game now he's starting games.

I'm all in support of Craig I just wish he'd play to our strengths more.

As bad as Hamill was on Saturday, and as many moments of genius we saw from Smith the odd time a player looked to see how much space he was in and passed the ball to him, i'd still be suprised to see Smith start on Tuesday. Why? Because it'll completely ruin Leveins defensive gameplan. 60+ minutes of braindead football cancelling each other out, and then throw on Smith to change the game once it's opened up a little more. We can expect a lot from him but not that every game. He's potentially an England international, we've got him for the next 2 months we MUST make the most of it. Southampton are making the most of Walcott at 16, he's coming up with the goods every game now he's starting games.

I'm all in support of Craig I just wish he'd play to our strengths more.

Yeh so do I we have a chance to win away against a team that are yet to win at home and we play 2 defensive midfielders :blink:

I think what Levein needs to learn is that to win games in the championship, you have to go out to win, not go out to avoid losing.

Instead of watching videos of previous games played this season.

Maybe he should start looking at videos of our last promotion season.

I'm not saying we should start playing like MA's team, but at least take a look and see what it takes to win games in this league.

He'll soon realise that this is not the SPL.

Instead of watching videos of previous games played this season.

Maybe he should start looking at videos of our last promotion season.

I'm not saying we should start playing like MA's team, but at least take a look and see what it takes to win games in this league.

He'll soon realise that this is not the SPL.

If he's gonna watch film footage of old matches he should watch the 60's team of Matt Gillies with McLintock, King, Appleton, David Gibson.

Then he would understand what some of us old timers consider to be good football.

I feel that many young supporters put up with mediocrity because they've been brought up on it.

Believe me the future of football is at stake here in the end. Unless you young fans DEMAND positive, attacking football, they will keep dishing up the sort of goalshy rubbish served up against Preston, Wolves, Burnley, QPR. Cardiff (League game) etc, etc, spectators will drift away from the game and so will the backers and the television people.

However, if you're willing to shout loud enough and long enough there WILL be a change of emphasis. Just as at Middlesbrough and I for one loved that. Football with a bit a uumph.

But it IS down to you. If you want excitement and entertainment you have to refuse to put up with anything else. I praised Levein for his tactics in the Cardiff Cup match because I didn't see logical alternatives but there was no need for negativity at Preston.

The home side must have loved seeing Smithy sitting the first half on the bench. I reckon Levein would have made a teenaged George Best wait for his chance - and if Bestie was a left back he'd never have got in at all while Nils was around.

CL is a big fan of defensive football, and his instincts tend to favour a defensive stance in matches. It's very difficult for a manager to go against his instincts but if results/performances go against his team/instincts then he may change. The problem I have is that this may take along time and there is no guarentee of success!

Archived