Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

Is it healthy for teams to win the league with 100 plus points

It is bad for the game.  I mentioned this on another forum as well.

I cant see how its good for the game if a team is unbeaten and not even getting many draws, liverpool were kinda like this in the 80s too dominant and many didnt like it.

I dont think they will clear 100, as they wont need to, once they have won mathematically they will back off, and they may even drop off a bit before then due to nerves.  But they will win it comfortably.

Pool fans I spoke to seem to think they need to be this relentless as they keep thinking man city will come back at them, but that team isnt the same and man city will struggle to clear 80 points this season.

Edited by Chrysalis

On 05/12/2019 at 09:09, Xen said:

Championship record is indeed held by Reading - 106. We're joint-second with Newcastle on 102.

Not quite.  Joint 3rd, I think.   Sunderland got 105 points in 1998-99.

(and Fulham got 101 points in 2000-1.   Those are the only ones to get 100+ points in the 2nd Division)

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Not quite.  Joint 3rd, I think.   Sunderland got 105 points in 1998-99.

(and Fulham got 101 points in 2000-1.   Those are the only ones to get 100+ points in the 2nd Division)

It wasn't 'The Championship' back then, so the wiki page I referenced didn't go back that far. I thought there might've been another, but was too lazy to check :)

As a one-off then it becomes a talking point but if it becomes a regular thing then no it is very bad for the game. Just the same as having a so-called big 6 is bad for the game. I've said elsewhere that this type of football hegemony needs to be broken up or our game will become stale and dull.

Sadly though it is all about money. As soon as anyone starts to do anything to disrupt it their manager, players, backroom staff become targets for the so-called big teams. Here the media must take some of the blame who along with agents who encourage players to leave their so-called smaller clubs.

I'd prefer a league where 12-15 clubs could win it each year.

Edited by reynard