Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best Pub or Bar in and around Leicester City Centre

Which pub or bar is the best in and around Leicester City Centre?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which pub or bar is the best in and around Leicester City Centre?

• The Black Horse (Braunstone Gate)
    • The Western (Western Road)
    • The Globe (Silver Street)
    • Rutland and Derby (Millstone Lane)
    • Blue Boar (Millstone Lane)
    • Firebug (Millstone Lane)
    • Kings Head (Kings St)
    • Bruxelles (High St)
    • Orange Tree (High St)
    • Revolution (Kings St)
    • Soar Point (The Newarke)
    • Bowling Green (Oxford St)
    • Robert Peel (Jarrom St)
    • Bricklayers Arms (Welford Road)
    • Swan and Rushes (Infirmary Square)
    • Brewdog (Market pl)
    • Royal Standard (Charles St)
    • Ale Wagon
    • Queen of Bradgate (High St)
    • parcel Yard (train station)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/20 at 18:42

Unfortunately pub culture seems to be dying on its arse. Pre-millennium there were any number of boozers dotted around the city each with their own vibe - some great, some not so, but all interesting and varied - and with a wider less precious and more mixed, in terms of age, type and background, clientele than seems to apply now.

Used to like the Magazine, Town Arms & Charlotte myself. Places like that don't really exist any more (though the TA still struggles on in some pale incarnation).

RIP the English boozer. When I was a kid I thought they'd last forever. Turns out forever was roughly thirty years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Unfortunately pub culture seems to be dying on its arse. Pre-millennium there were any number of boozers dotted around the city each with their own vibe - some great, some not so, but all interesting and varied - and with a wider less precious and more mixed, in terms of age, type and background, clientele than seems to apply now.

Used to like the Magazine, Town Arms & Charlotte myself. Places like that don't really exist any more (though the TA still struggles on in some pale incarnation).

RIP the English boozer. When I was a kid I thought they'd last forever. Turns out forever was roughly thirty years...

Totally agree, add to the list the Tudor, Pump & Tap, Richard the Third (up to 2016) off the top of my head.

52 minutes ago, boots60 said:

Totally agree, add to the list the Tudor, Pump & Tap, Richard the Third (up to 2016) off the top of my head.

Yeah - remember the P & T when it was still called The West End (going back a bit I admit). Had some great times in there. The Mag in particular was a great boozer - really wide mixture of people (and Tjinder Singh from Cornershop working behind the bar).

4 hours ago, Stoopid said:

It's dying on its arse in Leicester - loads of places still have a great pub culture.

43 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It's dying on its arse in Leicester - loads of places still have a great pub culture.

Not really my experience - have some knowledge of Manchester where many pubs of my youth no longer exist. Plenty of bars etc - very different thing. 

Pubs as such are pretty much done - bars tend to be more youthful more anodyne - and their decline is national.

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Not really my experience - have some knowledge of Manchester where many pubs of my youth no longer exist. Plenty of bars etc - very different thing. 

Pubs as such are pretty much done - bars tend to be more youthful more anodyne - and their decline is national.

Times are changing and some pubs dont change with them. The majority of pubs need to serve decent food to do well. The pubs which do serve decent food do seem to quite well though. 

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Times are changing and some pubs dont change with them. The majority of pubs need to serve decent food to do well. The pubs which do serve decent food do seem to quite well though. 

Yeah - bit like football - very different crowds wanting very different things. Pubs - at least the back street boozers I grew up with - like standing on the Kop or smoking on buses - pretty much died in the twentieth century.

Seems a pity, that's all...

• Like 1

I'm hugely unadventurous when it comes to pubs, but the R&D is probably my favourite overall - decent food, nice atmosphere and, for me, very well situated for a pint after work. Not cheap though.

I tend to go to the Bowling Green for a pre match pint. Its OK there - decent value, actually a half decent set of ales. For some reason, my kid, who hasn't really grown up going to pubs, thinks its the most exciting place in the world.