Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best Pub or Bar in and around Leicester City Centre

Which pub or bar is the best in and around Leicester City Centre?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which pub or bar is the best in and around Leicester City Centre?

• The Black Horse (Braunstone Gate)
    • The Western (Western Road)
    • The Globe (Silver Street)
    • Rutland and Derby (Millstone Lane)
    • Blue Boar (Millstone Lane)
    • Firebug (Millstone Lane)
    • Kings Head (Kings St)
    • Bruxelles (High St)
    • Orange Tree (High St)
    • Revolution (Kings St)
    • Soar Point (The Newarke)
    • Bowling Green (Oxford St)
    • Robert Peel (Jarrom St)
    • Bricklayers Arms (Welford Road)
    • Swan and Rushes (Infirmary Square)
    • Brewdog (Market pl)
    • Royal Standard (Charles St)
    • Ale Wagon
    • Queen of Bradgate (High St)
    • parcel Yard (train station)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/20 at 18:42

18 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The Salmon should be on the list in all.

QOB was great just after it had reopened in 2014 after being a tip beforehand, but it's crap now.  

Yeah thought the same about QOB.

The beer selection when it first opened was banging. Still good but not as exciting as it was.

It’s all a bit jeans and shuex meets bistro live on a Saturday night now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah thought the same about QOB.

The beer selection when it first opened was banging. Still good but not as exciting as it was.

It’s all a bit jeans and shuex meets bistro live on a Saturday night now.

Lucky if you walk past on a Saturday and there's not a Verve tribute act or Peaky Blinder themed night on now - bloody pricey in all. 

Salmon for me but like TTL and Tonne. The music they play in Tonne is pretty good which floats my boat more than beer selection..Unfortunately Leicester is dogshit for pubs /bars with a good soundtrack in the background.( My taste anyway) The Lansdowne used to be great  for music but since the new owners it's gone downhill. 

I use Babalas on Queens Rd 2 or 3 times a week. Easy vibe and a good local bar. 

Edited by Soup

Tried to change a few of the options but too late to edit now. Wonder if I could restart and change the options - Is it possible to change this or would I have to re-post?

I don't dislike Tonne but always thought it's not actually doing what it's supposed to. Not really a craft beer drinker but most of the stuff is very entry level and the decor is like what I thought was cool when I was 15

This is a pretty interesting thread. Finding out what different people like about certain pubs etc. Lots of folk go on about the beer which is fair enough but as I said in my post that is way down the list for me. 

A good chat with people and a general buzz for me is what a good pub/bar should be. If the beer is good then that's a bonus but the main reason is social interaction. 

4 hours ago, Soup said:

This is a pretty interesting thread. Finding out what different people like about certain pubs etc. Lots of folk go on about the beer which is fair enough but as I said in my post that is way down the list for me. 

A good chat with people and a general buzz for me is what a good pub/bar should be. If the beer is good then that's a bonus but the main reason is social interaction. 

My perfect pub is the mix between something decent on tap (doesn't have to be incredible) and that proper pub feeling. I think TTL isn't far off it and the Salmon just needs a couple of differing choices to fit that as well. 

It's why Ship and Mitre in Liverpool, Marble Arch in Manchester and Fountain in Shoreditch are my favourite pubs in the country. Variety of beer but still in the atmosphere you'd associate with a pub. 

Equally It's why I dislike the likes of Brewdog, I feel like I am in an industrial unit and have to sit on a stool. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My perfect pub is the mix between something decent on tap (doesn't have to be incredible) and that proper pub feeling. I think TTL isn't far off it and the Salmon just needs a couple of differing choices to fit that as well. 

It's why Ship and Mitre in Liverpool, Marble Arch in Manchester and Fountain in Shoreditch are my favourite pubs in the country. Variety of beer but still in the atmosphere you'd associate with a pub. 

Equally It's why I dislike the likes of Brewdog, I feel like I am in an industrial unit and have to sit on a stool. 

Yeah agree.. However it was a better pub before it started showing live football and rugby. 

That was a while ago mind and if I remember correctly it used to.close at 7 or 8pm which was strange to say the least 

Just now, Soup said:

That was a while ago mind and if I remember correctly it used to.close at 7 or 8pm which was strange to say the least 

For a long while, it was used by coppers for their own lock-ins after finishing at the Mansfield House station 

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

For a long while, it was used by coppers for their own lock-ins after finishing at the Mansfield House station 

Yeah I think I've heard that. The Stuff that used to go on in various pubs around the city is so interesting. 

2 hours ago, Soup said:

Yeah agree.. However it was a better pub before it started showing live football and rugby. 

It was superb when the last landlord before Black Country took over was there, the beer was incredible. He's got a micropub in Rugby now which is more than decent, by all accounts.

Still great though - think the new landlord has only been there a couple of months after someone came and went in a matter of weeks, but there's a noticeable difference in the place, the Geordie couple that ran it for a while were alright but made it feel a bit like their front room rather than a boozer.

-----

I've never been impressed with Tonne at all for one reason or another.

48 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It was superb when the last landlord before Black Country took over was there, the beer was incredible. He's got a micropub in Rugby now which is more than decent, by all accounts.

Still great though - think the new landlord has only been there a couple of months after someone came and went in a matter of weeks, but there's a noticeable difference in the place, the Geordie couple that ran it for a while were alright but made it feel a bit like their front room rather than a boozer.

-----

I've never been impressed with Tonne at all for one reason or another.

I lived in.town 2005 to.2010 and the Salmon was as close as I got to having a local. Loved it in the winter with the fire on. 

As for Tonne it's the music more than anything else. Once upon a time you'd have a stack of gaffs playing decent tunes at a good volume. Not so much now though. Saying all that I've not been in at all so far this year.

• Like 1

Don't go often but Wyggeston house is grand and lovely outside in the summer. Soulsby gets a lot of stick (some justified) but Jubilee Sq is a million times better than what was there before.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Blue Boar and Ale Stone are offering takeaway pints and bottles instead of opening. Hope more follow suit and people continue to patronise them in this way if they can.

I know you’ve used the word patronise perfectly adequately in the dictionary sense but I still keep reading it in the other meaning in my head :D

8 hours ago, Wymsey said:

What has gone wrong The Swan and Rushes?

It used to be the go-to bar for pre-match/post-match drinks etc, and now some are saying it's not as good as it used to be.

What it is now is a million miles away from what it was.

Proper soulless excuse of a boozer now.