Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jammie82uk

Xbox or PlayStation

People complaining about modern console noise obviously never owned a Dreamcast.

I loved my Dreamcast. For me, it was so much more advanced than the competition. Though I also owned a PS2 at the time, because of exclusives.

I’ve got a problem with my PS4 pro at the moment. About a year ago a drink was spilt on the unit and quickly dried off. A day later, it still worked so I just assumed the liquid didn’t really get in to cause any problems. Fast forward a few months and an update came out and I started to get the error code SU-42118-6. Apparently any firmware updates Sony send out do some sort of hardware check and the error points to a blu ray drive error. So at this point I’m unable to update the machine because of a faulty blu ray drive, of which I don’t use anyway because most of my games are digitally acquired.

I’ve since sent it off to PlayStation and they refused to touch it because of water damage which is understandable but it’s so frustrating that an insignificant part of the machine is not working and stopping me updating and therefore getting online to play. 

Earlier this week I bought a new blu ray drive to see if replacing it would fix it. It didn’t as the problem appears to be with the connector on the motherboard which would require some soldering work to replace.

I’ve saw a few people on twitter complaining of similar issues on the back of a more recent update so hopefully Sony will put an update out which doesn’t rely on the blu ray drive working. 

Anyway, rant over - I’d probably go back to Xbox based on this is experience.

54 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

I’ve got a problem with my PS4 pro at the moment. About a year ago a drink was spilt on the unit and quickly dried off. A day later, it still worked so I just assumed the liquid didn’t really get in to cause any problems. Fast forward a few months and an update came out and I started to get the error code SU-42118-6. Apparently any firmware updates Sony send out do some sort of hardware check and the error points to a blu ray drive error. So at this point I’m unable to update the machine because of a faulty blu ray drive, of which I don’t use anyway because most of my games are digitally acquired.

I’ve since sent it off to PlayStation and they refused to touch it because of water damage which is understandable but it’s so frustrating that an insignificant part of the machine is not working and stopping me updating and therefore getting online to play. 

Earlier this week I bought a new blu ray drive to see if replacing it would fix it. It didn’t as the problem appears to be with the connector on the motherboard which would require some soldering work to replace.

I’ve saw a few people on twitter complaining of similar issues on the back of a more recent update so hopefully Sony will put an update out which doesn’t rely on the blu ray drive working. 

Anyway, rant over - I’d probably go back to Xbox based on this is experience.

Before you replace anything on the motherboard, grab some isopropyl alcohol and clean the entire board with that and a toothbrush. Amazing how many times water damaged boards can be brought back to life with a little corrosion cleaning. :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Before you replace anything on the motherboard, grab some isopropyl alcohol and clean the entire board with that and a toothbrush. Amazing how many times water damaged boards can be brought back to life with a little corrosion cleaning. :thumbup:

I’m willing to try anything before I bin the thing.

Do you reckon a can of Holts electrical cleaner will do?

On 20/04/2020 at 08:23, stripeyfox said:

My PS4 sounds like you're standing next to Concorde about to depart Heathrow.

The Xbox runs the same game with no noise at all

Caveat - the xbox is newer (although I'm sure the PS4 was always noisy)

Silent and in pieces on the back of a flatbed lorry? :)

3 hours ago, Wet Trump said:

I’m willing to try anything before I bin the thing.

Do you reckon a can of Holts electrical cleaner will do?

Possibly, it's a wd-40 right? As long as it doesn't leave residue in should be fine.

6 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

I think the pins are fried and that’ll be the problem, but I’m no electrical engineer.

4B288BA2-4052-48D0-B314-5F7CDDC4E3D7.jpeg

Me neither, I'd try posting it somewhere else where you'll find people more qualified than me. :D

To me it just looks like some corrosion on the pins, don't really hear of ribbon connectors frying. But honestly I could be barking up a tree. :dunno:

18 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Possibly, it's a wd-40 right? As long as it doesn't leave residue in should be fine.

Me neither, I'd try posting it somewhere else where you'll find people more qualified than me. :D

To me it just looks like some corrosion on the pins, don't really hear of ribbon connectors frying. But honestly I could be barking up a tree. :dunno:

Really appreciate the advice!

I’ve set the Oral B on it with a clean brush head, full power and it’s currently looking much better. Maybe it is just dirt and stickiness... the drink was orange juice.

:nigel: