Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City of Leicester & Leicestershire - The Good and Historical Stuff

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

438793013_845834464237631_18174138222988

My dad used to take me there when I was a kid. I remember sitting on a wooden board placed across both arms of the chair so that I was at the right height for the barber comfortably cut my hair.

One of those Leicester legends, much like Brucciani's.

Edited by Parafox

1 minute ago, davieG said:

404938127_856934152883997_90704673941380

Used to go there to use the Slipper Baths when I first started work as an Engineering Apprentice and was living as a lodger in a house on Victoria Road East where you had to wash in the kitchen sink.

Some old days weren't so good.

Plans for new viaduct to reunite heritage Great Central Railway line

Plans for a new viaduct to reunite two halves of a heritage railway line have been announced.

The Great Central Railway line ran between Leicester and Nottingham until the 1970s, when old bridges and an embankment were removed.

Plans to create an 18-mile stretch of railway to link the Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire branches are set to be submitted "in a matter of weeks".

Organisers are appealing for funding to help them complete their efforts.

More here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-68856376

• Like 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/big-second-hand-record-fair-9240115

Big second-hand record fair coming to Leicester this weekend
Hundreds of music fans will be at Aylestone Leisure Centre for the event on Sunday

Bookmark
Comments
NEWS
ByTom MackSenior Reporter
04:00, 25 APR 2024

Enter your postcode for local news and info
Enter your postcode
A record fair is coming to Leicester this weekend – and entry is free.
A record fair is coming to Leicester this weekend (Image: Getty)

Music fans will be flocking to a free record fair that takes place at Aylestone Leisure Centre in Saffron Lane, Leicester, this weekend. The event takes place from 9am until 3.30pm with store-holders selling second-hand records to collectors.

The stalls are all booked for the event, which has been organised by VIP Records in Whetstone, near Leicester. The fair is one of two the company is holding this weekend, with the other on Saturday at the Horticultural Halls in London's Victoria.

Entry costs £3 for regular tickets for entry at 9.55am or £6 to get in an hour earlier at 8.55am. The events are attended by professional dealers and local people selling their collections.

As well as records, there will be CDs and memorabilia on sale. Click here to book tickets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/big-second-hand-record-fair-9240115

Big second-hand record fair coming to Leicester this weekend
Hundreds of music fans will be at Aylestone Leisure Centre for the event on Sunday

Bookmark
Comments
NEWS
ByTom MackSenior Reporter
04:00, 25 APR 2024

Enter your postcode for local news and info
Enter your postcode

Music fans will be flocking to a free record fair that takes place at Aylestone Leisure Centre in Saffron Lane, Leicester, this weekend. The event takes place from 9am until 3.30pm with store-holders selling second-hand records to collectors.

The stalls are all booked for the event, which has been organised by VIP Records in Whetstone, near Leicester. The fair is one of two the company is holding this weekend, with the other on Saturday at the Horticultural Halls in London's Victoria.

Entry costs £3 for regular tickets for entry at 9.55am or £6 to get in an hour earlier at 8.55am. The events are attended by professional dealers and local people selling their collections.

As well as records, there will be CDs and memorabilia on sale. Click here to book tickets.

Dammit. I gave away my vinyl singles only a few weeks ago as my research suggested there was little value in selling the job lot. I had around 2000. Not all pristine or in original sleeves, which is what the online buyers wanted. 

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

In that area I'm sure.

Hotel Street?

Nope the other side of the city centre.

On 25/04/2024 at 10:51, davieG said:

I wonder which one it is?