Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

How many times has Vardy touched the ball since the restart?

2 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

Challenge with Vardy is that he’s never been a great technician. Explosive, aggressive and a great finisher. But when there’s a lack of space, he’s simply not effective. 

Nacho has far better close control, and can play with the ball into feet, on the half turn. 

We are trying to evolve our style of play, but unfortunately Vardy doesn’t have the technical ability to do that. With teams sitting a bit deeper, the ball in behind is getting more and more difficult. 

We looked a different team with more support up top last night. But I do worry Vardy is untouchable. If I was Nacho I’d be thinking what have I got to do...

It’s not so much as Vardy is untouchable, it’s more the fact that we are struggling not due to him but due to our awful defending and creativity.

Nacho deserves a game but it should be with Vardy in a 4312 with Maddison behind.

We ****ed it vs Brighton because in a game like that with a team parking a bus, you have to create and open up - we played 2 DMs and played our most creative player as LM.

We ****ed up vs Everton because we gave them a 2-0 head start with poor lazy defending.

Vardy is the scapegoat because he’s not banging in any currently but the reality is the tactics are wrong, the players lack confidence and movement off the ball and we’re looking static.

Vardy didn’t play vs Norwich away - A team who are the worst in the league by a mile, yet we put in , what I’d say is worse than any we’ve produced. Nacho was that lone Vardy role that day and just as I defend Vards I’ll defend him that day, he wasn’t great and looked toothless but again the reason is far beyond whose the Icolated front man, but more ‘why are we not controlling games anymore’.

I see it as teams have worked us out so this is when BR has to ajust.

Time for 2 up top, the only game we have done it recently was Brighton but he also played 2DMs!

2 Up to, YT WN and DP a 3 man tight CM where Wilf sits and the other 2 box to box it and support the top 2 with Madders in the hole is the way to go.

Just now, adam95581 said:

BR has told him to do exactly this. He’s said it in various interviews previously - he basically wants Vardy to stand as high as possible in order to stretch the game for the likes of Maddison, Tielemans, Barnes etc to create in that space. Issue is that it just leaves him isolated, especially when Maddison isn’t playing or isn’t getting on the ball 

Exactly so it’s not Vardys fault it’s BR tactics. It worked when the team was in control of games but doesn’t work when teams know we huff and puff vs a low block so just sit on him all game.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

I disagree with dropping him or using him as a wide forward but agree about him ‘moving around’ more and dropping deeper.

Also saying Vardys touch is non league is also over dramatic. I actually think he has a great first touch usually, but agree his touches have been poor since the restart.

Even if he don’t hold it up or link much, I’d like him to move around, drag the centre backs and let runners go past him. However this requires Madders, Youri , Barnes etc running past him and using the space, which I’m not sure there capable of currently.

Barnes looks like a fish up a tree since the restart, Madders has been awful in and around the goal, he’s had a few half chances from the edge of the box both vs Brighton and Everton and has been closer to hitting my house than the net, absolutely embarrassing for someone whose supposed to have good technique!

Im confident we can beat palace but we need to be patient and not give teams stupid head starts 

Agree with all the above. And we just haven’t got out the blocks, hopefully we will take then2nd half performance in to Saturday’s game. Would be gutting to not get champions league 

3 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Agree with all the above. And we just haven’t got out the blocks, hopefully we will take then2nd half performance in to Saturday’s game. Would be gutting to not get champions league 

We have been poor but the 2nd half vs Everton was encouraging but ultimately will count for nothing unless we can put it together vs Palace.

It will be a disaster to not get it but it’s somehow still in our hands. West Ham have given us a lifeline by beating Chelsea. Let’s hope BR can finally get it right!

• Like 1

He is off the pace, which is making the problem been highlighted, 6 months ago vardy would get a touch or two and get one goal from it.  Now he probably needs at least 5 more chances to score.

But our problem isnt just an out of form Vardy, the team has a formation that has been found out, players not pressing forward, lack of runs forward, players sitting too deep, too many sideways and backwards passing.

Analysing the Everton game I seen several occasions backwards/sideways passing been done when we had unmarked players in forward positions, I seen hard passes been attempted when was easy ones available, I seen Everton almost score an own goal, and then instead of applying more pressure we then start another 3 minute spell of passing round the midfield allowing them to regain focus and shape.

These are the problems.

I can see it as light as day, the question is why the manager cannot.

I fear with Brendan we have the old "stubborn manager" problem, when their way of playing fails, they persist and are in the mode "we almost there", "we just need one win and we will explode", "its almost there", they fail to see we in a downward spiral and 10-20 matches into a bad run.  He changed the formation second half probably finally realising the situation we in, but even then he did a tactical change to reduce our intensity before the end of the game, its as if he was uncomfortable with it.  He has done this 3 times in the past 3 games, done tactical changes whilst we on top and on each occasion we dropped off.

I think we done for this season barring another freak change of form like the great escape season.

28 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

We have been poor but the 2nd half vs Everton was encouraging but ultimately will count for nothing unless we can put it together vs Palace.

It will be a disaster to not get it but it’s somehow still in our hands. West Ham have given us a lifeline by beating Chelsea. Let’s hope BR can finally get it right!

Ironically Chelsea is the only team I can see us finishing above, Wolves, and Manchester United will overtake us, so our hope is we just have to match or exceed Chelsea's results.  This is assuming Man City ban is upheld.

Not sure what's going on at the minute. His header back to Kelechi yesterday was good, and when he actually took Keane on to get a cross in, but other than the basics have been poor even down to his first touch. Tielemans did great when he took two on then played Vardy basically in, right on the edge of the area, but Vardy's touch was shocking. 

14 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Ironically Chelsea is the only team I can see us finishing above, Wolves, and Manchester United will overtake us, so our hope is we just have to match or exceed Chelsea's results.  This is assuming Man City ban is upheld.

I think wolves fixtures are tricky and they will draw to many games. I can see them getting 60-62 range.

Chelsea will get 65-67 range and depending how we do this is what we need to target.

Utd will get 66-68 minimum and will probably finish 3rd.

I think we will finish 5th but I hope 4th is possible. We need to target 65 points to have a chance, 3 wins 1 draw 2 losses. It’s possible. We must beat Palace I think to give ourselves a chance.

• Like 1