Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
twister

Premier League B Teams in the EFL?

On 08/10/2020 at 08:11, urban fox said:

Back in the day there were reserves leagues before the rules were changed to U23 (under 21s had their own separate leagues).  Crowds were never massive but as most games were midweek, many clubs, LCFC included,  used to do discounted prices for familys/kids (remember the family night football games).

These second string games gave developing players the chance to play competitive games, alongside the senior players who were not selected for the first team for whatever reason that week. It gave clubs the opportunity to bed new players in, give game time to those recovering from injury and generally keep everyone match fit. Players could be interchanged (promoted/demoted) between reserve and first teams. There was a clear progression from youth to U21, reserves and eventually the first team (obviously some bypassed some stages if good enough)The system worked for many years until the PL and era of "super clubs" (ie moneybags) meant that certain clubs could simply hoover up all the best players and stick them in the reserves, which is one of the reasons it was scrapped/changed to U23 with limits on over age players etc.

The very same clubs that brought about the death of the reserves leagues due to their avarice are now the ones who want to gatecrash the lower leagues with their so called "B" teams. I just do not see how it would work unless they had totally different squads, with no interchange of players allowed within a season (and why would players go to clubs if they are not going to be considered for the first team). Rather than this, if the FA are serious about developing a competitive system, why not a return to the old reserves leagues but maintain a maximum senior squad of say 30 players, with an overall salary cap. entry to these leagues would be optional but if not entering a team, then clubs senior squad would be limited to the current 25.

Never going to happen of course.

It never made sense to me why that system was scrapped.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

What an awful idea. As others have said, a Reserve Team league (which includes senior players) would be much better for development. What football really needs is a way to transfer some of that gobshit load of money at the top of the pyramid down below. That would probably have to involve legislation though (perhaps allowing the Football League to own a portion of the Premier League? Don't know, not a lawyer, nor an accountant.)

Spot on!

I find it ironic that soriano bitches so much despite choosing to come to england to work.

Our pyramid works and I will protest to my last drop  of energy if they dare try and force feed it down the lower leagues to suit some shiekh or crown princes wishes.

On 07/10/2020 at 18:32, The whole world smiles said:

Shame on this slimey foreign cvnt for trying to push through his own super rich, state sponsored, torture endorsing sham of a clubs agenda through when lower league football is on its knees. Community's and livleyhoods are on the line fuch your b teams. 

I love your sentiment

At the risk of bringing politics to the wrong place, I feel I should point out that if state-sponsored torture precludes a country from being involved in football then the UK can also kiss it goodbye...

Abu Dhabi has spent $24bn on imported weapons in the last 10 years. The UK is the second-biggest arms dealer in the world, and over half of our arms exports go to the Middle East

Edited by Bourbon Fox
  • Like 1