Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Rate the England Team vs Argentina

What a surprise! What a wonderful game.

But will someone explain to me why:

a) Manager's take off their best players near the end of a game they are winning thus risking disrupting the team's rhythm - as happened today and probably cost Argentina the game.

b) Teams persist in playing a game down from 10-12 minutes from time, again risking their rhythm and the game, instead of continuing to press forward in the way that has earned them the lead. Changing the style of play, the personnel and with it the structure may waste time but is just asking for trouble.

c) There is so much criticism of Peter Crouch. He may not have scored - Owen will rightly take the accolades - but Crouch took men to the near post for the second England goal (the equaliser) and kept the defender away from Owen when he headed his winner. Like Heskey his value is underrated although I much prefer him as a change player rather than a starter.

On top of all that didn't Gerrard, playing at right back, demononstrate in capital letters the importance of full-backs linking play and the importance of having someone in those positions who can actually cross a ball properly?.

The cross for the equaliser was fast, aggressive and accurate. It was almost bound to cause trouble.

I just hope we avoid Argentina in the World Cup proper cos they looked a super side and they surely won't make the same mistakes again.

Meanwhile I'd seriously develop Gerrard's ability as a full back. His presence in midfield always threatens Joe Cole's place and I believe that a team plays best with attackers (or genuinely skillful players) who can adapt to play full back.

So long as they can do the defensive work it adds so much potency. Skillful full-backs offers a much better chance of scoring and sustaining attacks.

England's selected full-backs didn't impress greatly at all.

Why does a team with so much ability and talent have to resort to spending a large proportion of the game feigning injuring and waving imaginary yellow cards at every minor altercation. Often not even when a foul has taken place with the sole intention of trying to get someone sent off.

Leopard's can't change their spots and neither can the Argentinians. I blame them for a lot of the cheating that has infiltrated English football in the last decade.

Apart from that it was a cracking game, the first international, even being a friendly that I've enjoyed since welI can't remember when.

What a surprise! What a wonderful game.

c) There is so much criticism of Peter Crouch. He may not have scored - Owen will rightly take the accolades - but Crouch took men to the near post for the second England goal (the equaliser) and kept the defender away from Owen when he headed his winner. Like Heskey his value is underrated although I much prefer him as a change player rather than a starter.

Got to agree with the first point. they obviously wanted to perform against Argentina and they showed what they are capable of. Hopefully this will shut some of the doubters up, until the next time we draw a friendly atleast.

It looked to me like he scored inspite of the fact Crouch was trying to rugby tackle him to the floor. I do agree that someone like him is useful, though i prefered Heskey as he didn't score but did set goals up. Far too often Crouch is just a nuisance, something intimidating, which is useful but not match winning often enough.

Got to agree with the first point. they obviously wanted to perform against Argentina and they showed what they are capable of. Hopefully this will shut some of the doubters up, until the next time we draw a friendly atleast.

It looked to me like he scored inspite of the fact Crouch was trying to rugby tackle him to the floor. I do agree that someone like him is useful, though i prefered Heskey as he didn't score but did set goals up. Far too often Crouch is just a nuisance, something intimidating, which is useful but not match winning often enough.

If it was a toss up between Heskey and Crouch for the last strikers spot i'd have to go for Heskey because

He scores more than Crouch

He's stronger than crouch

He's faster than Crouch

Has world cup experience

the only thign Heskey loses on is height, but he isn't to small now is he?

If it was a toss up between Heskey and Crouch for the last strikers spot i'd have to go for Heskey because

He scores more than Crouch

He's stronger than crouch

He's faster than Crouch

Has world cup experience

the only thign Heskey loses on is height, but he isn't to small now is he?

You missed one out:

He falls over more :thumbup:

I just can't see Heskey getting a chance now, Crouch seems to be the number one 'big man' and Sven will stick with him.

Heskey is a far better striker than Crouch.

Crouch is laughable , how on earth he is in the England squad I do not know.

He has'nt scored a goal all season. He had one good season at Southampton and because of that he is in the national squad.

Heskey is much stronger and knows how to finish. All Crouch is there for is to be chucked on in the last 10-15 minutes if we need a goal. Just because he's a lanky get. He's never gonna score a goal for England , and I was one of the many England fans booing at Old Trafford when he came on against Poland.

In answer to Thracian:

1. Riquelme was taken off for any number of reasons - injury, exhaustion, Villa Real bellyaching. Remember it was a friendly.

2. Time wasting when in the lead is as hard a trait to eradicate in the latin game as kick and rush is in the Anglo Saxon one. Except that time wasting is more successful.

3. I've noticed that Joe Cole is more effective when he comes on as a sub. Brilliant at creating in tight situations (Owen's winner). Has he Gerrards legs, heart and agression though? To me he would be a waste at full back.

My own thoughts:

4. What's Sven got against the god-fearing Jermaine Defoe? (well, that's what I was saying whilst Owen was strolling around virtually anonymously for 90 minutes and then look what happens). Owen is looking more and more like Lineker in his latter days - goalhanger extraordinaire (but at least the shrimp can head a ball properly unlike 99% of modern players).

5. How about the smallest shrimp of all at right back - Sean Wright Phillips. Let's face it most backs are clueless at defending, and can't pass or dribble. SWP can actually tackle too...

A very enjoyable match and full marks to the prem managers for making all the players available. Full marks to Sven for reacting promptly to change non-performing personnel and to change a system to deal with threats posed by the Argies.

The strength of the English game is the resilient defence of corners and other set pieces which with the likes of JT should be no problem whatever and yet we consistently leak goals in this area (remember Portugal). Could this be down to the fact that McLaren apparently coaches the defence ?. Presumably he instructs these world class defenders to play like Middlesborough

I think a few people are getting carried away here. We were 5 minutes away from defeat until Owen's intervention. Before that, we were exposed by Argentina's incisive attacks, with Riquelme floating around and causing all sorts of problems. Although King did well aganst Poland in that holding role, he was found wanting at times against Argentina, which is understandable given the movement and quality of the opposition.

What do you think the reaction would have been if we had lost? What about Sven's mistake of playing a blatantly not match fit Waybe Bridge at left back? What about his replacement Koncesky, who wasn't much better and doesn't have the required quality at this level? What about Gerrard being asked to play at right back? What about playing a central defender (King) in front of the back 4 against the quality of Riquelme?

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a great game to watch, and it's encouraging to see Owen and Rooney causing the second best team in the world so many problems. We still have major problems in defence and midfield though.

Luke Young and Paul Koncesky are simply not good enough at this level - although they won't be regulars come the start of Germany, it's not encouraging that they're seen as our back ups.

I'm not totally convinced by the partnership of Ferdinand/Terry. I think the option of either Woodgate or Campbell would be better suited alongside Terry. Hopefully Woodgate and Campbell can have trouble free seasons between now and the start of the World Cup.

We still haven't sussed out the balance in midfield. I think we need someone like Carrick to hold the midfield and retain posession with his excellent distribution. Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham can play a 3 man midfield, given license to get forward, with Beckham occupying a more right sided version, with Ashley Cole bombing down the left in the absence of a left sided midfielder. Ideally, it would be nice to see a balanced midfield 4, but the quality of Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham cannot be left out.

well done to the guy that booed peter crouch along with many others at OT. You must be really proud of yourself. I mean, booing one of your own countrys players, someone who has worked hard his entire life to get that chance to play for his country, only to have his own fans boo him before he has even had a chance. I shall send you a blue peter badge <_<

Archived