Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

For those who travel to the game by Bus

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/bus-rides-cheaper-easier-underground-5553561

Leicester bus rides 'cheaper and easier' with London Underground-style payment system
'Tap on Tap off' means people only pay for the distance they travel

ByTom MackSenior Reporter
10:03, 21 JUN 2021UPDATED11:45, 21 JUN 2021

First Leicester buses are introducing London Underground-style payments where people simply put their phone or cash card against a payment machine when they get on and off.

Not only is it designed to make travel easier, the bus company is promising that passengers will never pay more than the lowest possible ticket, calculated automatically for them.

For example, if someone takes a large number of rides in one week, they will pay no more than the cost of a discounted seven-day ticket.

The system will eventually be introduced for all Leicester buses, along with a ticket cap to keep travel costs low.

First Leicester is working in partnership with Leicester city council on the initiative with cash from the Department for Transport's Transforming Cities fund to purchase the ticket machine readers and for the instillation of the equipment on its 92 vehicles.

First is also benefiting from the ongoing rebuilding project at St Margaret's Bus Station in the city centre.

Bus rides 'cheaper and easier' with Underground-style payment system

Nigel Eggleton, managing director at First Leicester said: ”Ticketing technology has taken a major step forward with the introduction of the Tap on Tap off function.

"Simplification of ticketing is a key ingredient in our plan to welcome back existing customers and encourage people who don’t presently choose to use buses to give them a try.

“With the Tap on Tap off function it couldn’t be easier as a customer can now have the peace of mind knowing that the best value fare will be charged for a single journey or multiple journeys over a full day."

Leicester City Mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: “It’s great to see First Leicester buses launching this new ticketing scheme, which will ensure passengers get the best fare available on the day, and will reduce the amount of time it takes to board the bus.

“This is the first stage to having a capped fare across all bus operators in the city, who will also be installing this technology, which means there will be much more flexibility for bus passengers.

“The scheme is one of a number of initiatives we are working on with bus operators through the Leicester Bus Partnership, and along with our new fleet of electric park and ride vehicles and building of a brand new bus station, will hopefully encourage many more people to use this form of transport.”

4 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

How is the city only just getting this? 

A good question, seeing as london has had the Oyster card now for years which then morphed into tapping your debit/credit card and never paying more than the day rate for that zone however many journeys you take.

Here we are still paying for single or return trips and getting a little paper ticket.

Certainly could’ve introduced it years ago but didn’t, cost, getting it up and running, new machines who knows but it is poor it’s only just coming in.

But the last time I went on a bus it was a lot more expensive than the train from my village and only every 30 minutes which I’m told is now one an hour due to bat flu, yeah I’ll be straight on the bus then. That and going around half the village before it starts tramping into the city, no wonder no one uses it.

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

How is the city only just getting this? 

Probably because we have multiple providers of Bus Services all supposedly in competition with each other. But like the railways and Televised football the privatisation/anti-monopoly policies has done nothing to provide a competitive edge to keep prices down. 

• Like 1

I live approx 6 miles from the stadium. On a match day (remember them) I get an arriva day pass for £4.20 which gets me anywhere in or around the City including the village where I live. That is not bad value for money.

It also enables me to leave the motor at home & attempt to drink my own weight in lager without having to worry about driving home.

6 hours ago, boots60 said:

I live approx 6 miles from the stadium. On a match day (remember them) I get an arriva day pass for £4.20 which gets me anywhere in or around the City including the village where I live. That is not bad value for money.

It also enables me to leave the motor at home & attempt to drink my own weight in lager without having to worry about driving home.

Arriva does a "family pass" for £7 on weekends and school holidays that covers the county, plus Rugby, Derby, and Burton. Covers two adults, three kids. 

• Like 1