Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

For The Medical Foxes

1 hour ago, Parafox said:

Just an addendum to this Your gallbladder is not an essential organ. This means you can live a normal life without a gallbladder. When a surgeon removes your gallbladder, bile will flow out of your bile ducts directly into your digestive system instead of being stored in your gallbladder first.

Just as we don't need our appendix. 

I wouldn't say you were misdiagnosed but, the first course of action will usually be to prescribe ACE inhibitors like Lansoprazole or Omeprazole to see if they have any effect on your condition before recommending surgery. Unfortunately you had an acute event which fortunately, was treated quickly.

@Bryn @z-layrex I think I'm about right but feel free to correct me. :thumbup:

Depends how he presented, I can't comment on weller 54's specific case.

You can live without a gallbladder and appendix but the days of whipping them out by default are gone, the appendix in particular seems to have an important role in the immune system.
You mean proton pump inhibitors not ACE inhibitors.

If weller presented with symptoms of heartburn and mild, short-lived abdominal pain which is predictable (for example after heavy alcohol intake or spicy food) a trial of PPI before investigating further might be reasonable depending on age and medical history.

An US abdomen would be fairly routine test if things aren't settling quickly and that in combination with blood tests will generally lead to any diagnosis meriting a cholecystectomy.

An MRI scan or endoscopic investigations (camera into the gut) would also be a common part of the work-up.

I would also say there's a difference between misdiagnosis and negligent misdiagnosis. I think more misdiagnoses are made by diligent and conscientious doctors more often than through negligence.

Edited by Bryn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MPH said:

I work for a surgical department at my local hospital here in North Carolina and  it’s fairly standard to have an ultrasound for unexplained abdominal pain/ problems. From the  first time you go to your Doctor with the ailment, to the time of operation is less than 3 months.

Now I’m not Anti NHS, but I do think it needs to be funded properly.

I wouldn't expect the NHS to drastically deviate from this.

The other thing I'd add is the evidence is in favour of not removing a gallbladder at a time of acute infection unless it cannot be avoided - the outcomes are much worse. Standard care is antibiotics and time first and removing the gallbladder once the dust has settled.

Edited by Bryn

2 hours ago, Bryn said:

I wouldn't expect the NHS to drastically deviate from this.

The other thing I'd add is the evidence is in favour of not removing a gallbladder at a time of acute infection unless it cannot be avoided - the outcomes are much worse. Standard care is antibiotics and time first and removing the gallbladder once the dust has settled.

Weller mentioned it took him 9 months to get an ultrasound.

also I’d add the antibiotics might work for an inflamed lining or gall bladder sludge  which would fall under the cholecystitis but wouldn’t be effective for gallstones which 3 million Americans suffer from each year. Safest and quickest way to determine difference would be the ultrasound.

Edited by MPH

On 17/07/2022 at 19:29, Parafox said:

Just an addendum to this Your gallbladder is not an essential organ. This means you can live a normal life without a gallbladder. When a surgeon removes your gallbladder, bile will flow out of your bile ducts directly into your digestive system instead of being stored in your gallbladder first.

Just as we don't need our appendix. 

I wouldn't say you were misdiagnosed but, the first course of action will usually be to prescribe ACE inhibitors like Lansoprazole or Omeprazole to see if they have any effect on your condition before recommending surgery. Unfortunately you had an acute event which fortunately, was treated quickly.

@Bryn @z-layrex I think I'm about right but feel free to correct me. :thumbup:

Yep but you don't mean ACE inhibitors you mean proton pump inhibitors.

• Like 1