Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

For The Medical Foxes

8 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

I am 41 and so often find myself losing something I have just said. Anything from a name of something to a word. It has vanished completely.

Is 41 a normal age for this to occur or is it early?

Thanks

Have you had  covid lately?

Seriously.

I had it in November and I've got a foggy brain where Im Like the above.

If not then you definitely  need to see a Doctor for guidance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

I am 41 and so often find myself losing something I have just said. Anything from a name of something to a word. It has vanished completely.

Thanks

Like Raj said, you need to see a Doctor mate. Ask for a referral to get some tests or a scan if you're still unsure.

Hopefully it's nothing serious but you need to explain it to a professional and take their guidance. Best of luck.

10 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

As others have said, best to see medical advice. You'd probably considered the following already but it might help any professionals in their assessment.

- is your memory usually decent?

- is it worse for you now than it would have been for you normally?

- does it happen more frequently now?

- what sort of level are we talking Simple words and common people in your life? Or are we talking the memory of our right winger's name in 2005?

I had pneumonia several years ago ( pre covid) and I had the exact same problem.

we could all name different names as to what it could be but we might end up scaring you unnecessarily. It could be something very simple like you are lacking in omega-3s.

without all the facts it’s hard to comment further - speak at length to a Dr about it!

in the mean time if you could cash app me that 5,000 you borrowed last week that would be great!

:D:kissing:

hope you get some answers soon!

• Haha 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate

I'm 41, and yes often forget simple things.

Busy life, stress, kids and age mate, it all adds up.

I wouldn't worry, but as with all things, trust your instincts.

• 6 months later...

Last week I had my gallbladder removed.

The surgeon told me it was in a mess and had been perforated. He had to scrape it out I was told.

Last July I had a very bad acute gallbladder attack, ended up at A&E but they failed to diagnose it!!

Took 9 months before I had an ultrasound and even that just showed gallstones not a perforation!

Thing is, a perforated gallbladder could have been fatal and I waited over a year to finally have it removed.

Post surgery I'm feeling pretty awful and completely drained.

Anyone else on here had gallbladder surgery?

1 minute ago, weller54 said:

The surgeon told me it was in a mess and had been perforated. He had to scrape it out I was told.

Last July I had a very bad acute gallbladder attack, ended up at A&E but they failed to diagnose it!!

Took 9 months before I had an ultrasound and even that just showed gallstones not a perforation!

Thing is, a perforated gallbladder could have been fatal and I waited over a year to finally have it removed.

Very best wishes to you sir. 

6 minutes ago, weller54 said:

My friend had something similar. She was actually in hospital but they failed to realise how serious it was until the change of shift of doctors. New doctor came in and looked at her stats and was like 'I don't like this' and took her straight to theatre. Turned out it had all gone septic inside and she was heading for organ failure. Bit of a spell in ICU and a lengthy recovery and I don't think she's quite recovered from how touch and go it could all have been.

Hope you make a quick recovery - sounds nasty. 

Edited by rachhere

4 minutes ago, rachhere said:

My friend had something similar. She was actually in hospital but they failed to realise how serious it was until the change of shit of doctors. New doctor came in and looked at her stats and was like 'I don't like this' and took her straight to theatre. Turned out it had all gone septic inside and she was heading for organ failure. Bit of a spell in ICU and a lengthy recovery and I don't think she's quite recovered from how touch and go it could all have been.

Hope you make a quick recovery - sounds nasty. 

My goodness!..

Yes, sepsis is the danger of this condition!...

So pleased she is still around to tell the story!!

It's bloody scary to think you got so close to dying and all because the NHS can't function in the way it should.

On 29/12/2021 at 01:33, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

If it’s bad enough that you’ve felt a need to reach out it’s worth some professional advice but the differential diagnosis for poor short term memory is very broad and this doesn’t mean you have dementia. Stress, a post-viral syndrome, low testosterone, anxiety/depression, fatigue, there’s lots of reasons you might not be on your game. But if you or someone else has noticed a marked difference I would go see your GP and ask for a referral to memory clinic.

How’s your sleep hygiene?

• Like 1

On 12/07/2022 at 12:36, Bryn said:

If it’s bad enough that you’ve felt a need to reach out it’s worth some professional advice but the differential diagnosis for poor short term memory is very broad and this doesn’t mean you have dementia. Stress, a post-viral syndrome, low testosterone, anxiety/depression, fatigue, there’s lots of reasons you might not be on your game. But if you or someone else has noticed a marked difference I would go see your GP and ask for a referral to memory clinic.

Hi Bryn,

Not sure what you mean by sleep hygiene but my sleep has been bad for most of my adult life as I have a very active imagination but my hygiene is good.

thanks 

On 12/07/2022 at 12:36, Bryn said:

Great post. 👍 

9 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Bryn,

Not sure what you mean by sleep hygiene but my sleep has been bad for most of my adult life as I have a very active imagination but my hygiene is good.

thanks 

Sleep hygiene is things like only being in your bed when it's bedtime, not using your phone before sleeping, eliminating any light, having a routine at bedtime that properly relaxes you like reading a book.

20 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Hi Bryn,

thanks 

Sorry, yes as z-layrex says sleep hygiene is your sort of, behaviour and practices regarding sleep. Like having a regular bed time and wake time, having a cool dark room with comfortable clothing and bedding, not eating and drinking too close to bed time, no screen time for at least 1 hour close to bed time (ideally longer). Makes an enormous difference to memory and also cardiovascular health.

Edited by Bryn
  • Like 1

Thanks Bryn. I will take this on board. I do keep a cool dark room but don’t limit screen time before hand. Usually watching something or reading kindle. Probably eat and drink quite close to sleep time also. I have heard that you sleep better if you go to bed about 11pm as the body knows this is time to go to sleep. Any truth in that or is it all relative to what time you get up? 

On 12/07/2022 at 07:12, weller54 said:

I had "stomach" pains for a few years, which a couple of physicians misdiagnosed: they prescribed acid blockers which didn't do a thing.  Numerous sleepless nights just trying to manage the pain.

One night it blew up so bad I had to go to the ER.  It was a blocked gall bladder.  The surgical team came in at 6 am and took the damned thing out.

It healed fast, and within a few months I forgot I ever had it.  I can eat whatever I used to (well maybe not a whole pizza).

Best thing that ever happened to my quality of life.  Should be the same for you I hope!

12 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I had "stomach" pains for a few years, which a couple of physicians misdiagnosed: they prescribed acid blockers which didn't do a thing.  Numerous sleepless nights just trying to manage the pain.

One night it blew up so bad I had to go to the ER.  It was a blocked gall bladder.  The surgical team came in at 6 am and took the damned thing out.

It healed fast, and within a few months I forgot I ever had it.  I can eat whatever I used to (well maybe not a whole pizza).

Best thing that ever happened to my quality of life.  Should be the same for you I hope!

Good that you had it done when you visited ER!... that's what should have happened with me.!!

I had another 12 months of problems and pain. Then finally, when I had the surgery a couple of weeks ago, the gallbladder was in a mess and not straightforward to remove!

.... Very poor really!

But our NHS is completely f**ked so it doesn't surprise me!

Assume you don't live in the UK?

Glad you're feeling so much better.

23 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Good that you had it done when you visited ER!... that's what should have happened with me.!!

I had another 12 months of problems and pain. Then finally, when I had the surgery a couple of weeks ago, the gallbladder was in a mess and not straightforward to remove!

.... Very poor really!

But our NHS is completely f**ked so it doesn't surprise me!

Assume you don't live in the UK?

Glad you're feeling so much better.

I was 1,000 miles from home in a small Texas city -- but yes, care was available when I needed it.  Our US system is expensive and wasteful.  But as long as you have insurance, it tends to work.

Your recovery is slower than mine, but with luck will be as complete.  It should change your life for the better.  Patience and good luck!!

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

Just an addendum to this Your gallbladder is not an essential organ. This means you can live a normal life without a gallbladder. When a surgeon removes your gallbladder, bile will flow out of your bile ducts directly into your digestive system instead of being stored in your gallbladder first.

Just as we don't need our appendix. 

I wouldn't say you were misdiagnosed but, the first course of action will usually be to prescribe ACE inhibitors like Lansoprazole or Omeprazole to see if they have any effect on your condition before recommending surgery. Unfortunately you had an acute event which fortunately, was treated quickly.

@Bryn @z-layrex I think I'm about right but feel free to correct me. :thumbup:

Edited by Parafox

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Just an addendum to this Your gallbladder is not an essential organ. This means you can live a normal life without a gallbladder. When a surgeon removes your gallbladder, bile will flow out of your bile ducts directly into your digestive system instead of being stored in your gallbladder first.

Just as we don't need our appendix. 

I wouldn't say you were misdiagnosed but, the first course of action will usually be to prescribe ACE inhibitors like Lansoprazole or Omeprazole to see if they have any effect on your condition before recommending surgery. Unfortunately you had an acute event which fortunately, was treated quickly.

@Bryn @z-layrex I think I'm about right but feel free to correct me. :thumbup:

Thanks Parafox!..

Before my acute attack last July my medical records would have shown that I was diagnosed with gallstones many years before!...

When I went to A&E in July last year, despite my symptoms pointing heavily towards a gallbladder problem!... pain in the classical areas, high temperature, vomiting and I was in and out of consciousness on the way to hospital!!.... I told the Doctor all of this... did he listen?...No!!

Forward on 12 months and my eventual surgery. Rather than having a straightforward removal, my gallbladder was wrecked and had to be scraped out!...

I still think I was negligently misdiagnosed!!

I could have died... I find that hard to dissect.

I work for a surgical department at my local hospital here in North Carolina and  it’s fairly standard to have an ultrasound for unexplained abdominal pain/ problems. From the  first time you go to your Doctor with the ailment, to the time of operation is less than 3 months.

Now I’m not Anti NHS, but I do think it needs to be funded properly.