Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chiltern Fox

Driveway contractor

Hello everyone 

As the title suggests, I'm after a contractor to do some driveway work for my parents.

I've had very little luck with the people I've contacted so far. They either don't get back to me or quotes are stupid.

Can anyone recommend someone ?  Need to be reliable and reasonable in terms of cost. Job would be in Loughborough. 

Thanks.

Just now, Raj said:

Elaborate on what they want doing?

Tarmac, block paving etc?

Either block paving or tarmac. It's dependent on price. I have a small lawned area next to a tarmacadam double drive. I want the grass area converted into an additional parking space. Area is approximately 3m by 4m.

On 28/08/2023 at 14:13, Chiltern Fox said:

Either block paving or tarmac. It's dependent on price. I have a small lawned area next to a tarmacadam double drive. I want the grass area converted into an additional parking space. Area is approximately 3m by 4m.

Twelve sq. m, that's a relatively small area. That lawn will need to be excavated to a depth that will allow for granular stone sub-base (say 100mm), bitumen basecourse (40mm) and a top wearing course (19mm). That equates to about 2 cubic metres of lawn and soil to be dug up and carted away.

The boundary that abuts the remaining lawn or garden will need to be retained with paviors or precast edging.

Block paving will not require so deep an excavation and the 'edging' is a part of the block process.

Raj's recommendation looks very good to my eye.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Twelve sq. m, that's a relatively small area. That lawn will need to be excavated to a depth that will allow for granular stone sub-base (say 100mm), bitumen basecourse (40mm) and a top wearing course (19mm). That equates to about 2 cubic metres of lawn and soil to be dug up and carted away.

The boundary that abuts the remaining lawn or garden will need to be retained with paviors or precast edging.

Block paving will not require so deep an excavation and the 'edging' is a part of the block process.

Raj's recommendation looks very good to my eye.

Thanks both. 

I'm getting quotes ranging from 2.5k to 2.9k (excluding vat). Does that seem right?

Does the area need drainage channels dug in? Also, what about weed block in the foundation course?

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Thanks both. 

I'm getting quotes ranging from 2.5k to 2.9k (excluding vat). Does that seem right?

Does the area need drainage channels dug in? Also, what about weed block in the foundation course?

Thanks.

I would ask for an itemized quote. That way you will be able to judge exactly what it is you are paying for and at what cost per item. This is standard practice on large contracts but not so much on this type of work so you may get some resistance. 

As to drainage that depends on all manner of things but basically if it's holding standing water now, it will in the future. The question to ask is how will they alleviate this problem. If you choose their solution make sure they guarantee that it will work, otherwise you paying for nothing that helps.

I would certainly advise a weed barrier. Inexpensive, or should be and gives a certain peace of mind