Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JayTheFox

Should VAR be introduced to the lower leagues?

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

The biggest annoyance for me is how it's used in the FA Cup.

If your ground is equipped for it, it's implemented, otherwise, it isn't. 

To me, that isn't a level playing field.

It's the same competition, so should be used by everyone, or no-one. 

And for the amount we moan about VAR, justifyingly so, can I take you all back to the afternoon of May 15th 2021?

It was alright then, weren't it? lol

I can't see how it's unfair on Leicester v Liverpool if West Ham have a decision settled by VAR.  If Leicester had it and Liverpool didn't (or vice versa) then yes, it would be unfair, but not if a match the other end of the country has it.

• 2 months later...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12982829/Leicester-manager-Enzo-Maresca-calls-VAR-introduced-Championship.html

Enzo Maresca sent shivers down the spines of English football fans by calling for VAR to be introduced in the Championship.

After working on the coaching staff at West Ham and Manchester City, the Leicester boss has seen both sides of the coin and believes technology improves the game.

Yet many supporters in the second tier would reject VAR, with its stoppages and controversies. Maresca has an axe to grind with officials following recent games at Ipswich and Coventry, where he felt big calls went against the Championship leaders.

‘It’s a little bit of a mixed feeling,’ he said. ‘In the Championship when you see a goal you can celebrate because you know nothing will happen to change it. Last year and in the years when I used VAR, you are always waiting, waiting, because you don’t know if there is something (to disallow it).

‘In terms of the immediate reaction, yes, it’s more enjoyable. In the end though, you can see more things with VAR and it’s much better for the game.

‘They have VAR in the second division in Spain, the same in Italy. Here we don’t have it and I don’t know the reason why. In my opinion it helps.’

VAR has been used in Football League play-off finals and in some Carabao Cup matches but has still not been brought into regular fixtures in the Championship or Leagues One and Two.

Championship clubs considered whether to bring in a slimmed-down version of VAR for this season but decided against, due to the dissatisfaction it has caused in the top flight.

However some EFL managers agree with Maresca. Last October Stevenage boss Steve Evans said: ‘The EFL needs VAR at the earliest opportunity as the officiating is not at the level it needs to be.’

I would like to see a basic version of VAR…

no involvement in fouls. Refs / linesman calls.Give refs experience in picking up

on fouls,and how to work around the players.

linesman must have more recognition.

Time also,no players allowed,let me repeat allowed within 5 metres of ref,when descision is made except captain,and 30 seconds chat time and finish.

if players don’t retire,sin bin yellow/ or letter from tribunal delivering delayed ban.

plus once ball is placed,oppo players must retire the acquired 10 metres within 5secs.refs call.

offside..

Goalmouth incidents.

Goal checks..

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Sorry Enzo, but you've got to go. It's been a good run.

24 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Worst thing he's ever said.

Only saying that as you had a couple of decisions go against you last week isn’t he ?

Which is where all this started - the likes of Wenger and Big Sam in particular calling for extra assistance as they thought their team were wronged against .

And TBH I doubt VAR would have changed them .

Edited by Super_horns

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Only saying that as you had a couple of decisions go against you last week isn’t he ?

And TBH I doubt VAR would have changed them .

We've had some go for and some go against. Seem to remember Faes getting away with a big one against Sunderland. VAR wouldn't have changed any decision from the Coventry game either.

I'm completely baffled how anyone can want more of this. I'd understand if we had a working version such as semi-auto offside but this half-baked rubbish? The Championship has been a view into better times in this regard, where bad decisions happen and as a general rule it's moved on from quickly.

So much of football discourse today is about VAR, FFP etc... it's just so mundane.

• Like 3