Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JayTheFox

Should VAR be introduced to the lower leagues?

As the title suggests really do you think it’s something that should or need to happen at some point?

I am really enjoying not having VAR this year personally but considering promotion to the premier league is worth its weight in gold should this not be introduced into the championship at the very least in the future?

Fine margins and a wrong offside call or penalty could sway promotion for example towards the end of the season especially. 

I know VAR isn’t perfect but do we think it would be a good idea or not?

VAR requires having a lot more refs. Based on our current Championship games, they don't have enough decent refs to actualy referee the games they are already playing. If you have to scrape the barrel even lower to find an extra 3 VAR officials per game - can you imagine the calibre of officials they'll be deploying? We'd be lucky if the get through a weekend's fixtures without half of them choking on their whistles.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JayTheFox said:

As the title suggests really do you think it’s something that should or need to happen at some point?

I am really enjoying not having VAR this year personally but considering promotion to the premier league is worth its weight in gold should this not be introduced into the championship at the very least in the future?

Fine margins and a wrong offside call or penalty could sway promotion for example towards the end of the season especially. 

I know VAR isn’t perfect but do we think it would be a good idea or not?

If they had a system that worked efficiently and accurately, then yes.  But since they don't have that system, then no.

As I'm sure you're finding out this season, it's more fun celebrating a goal than it is celebrating the opposition kicking off.

[edited for weird typo]

Edited by dsr-burnley

I thought everyone wanted it scrapped !?

Not used more.

Actually think that is the problem.

Managers, fans and players in the EFL probably hate it but as soon they think it could have given them a decision suggest it’s needed .

It’s never was supposed to be perfect anyway but obviously the system is still very subjective and relies on the opinion of another ref who will have a different view to another .

I dread to think what inconsistencies you’d get if the supposed elite are bad at it !

Edited by Super_horns

No. VAR does a lot of things right but I don't like not being able to celebrate a goal like mad as soon as it hits the back of the net. For me, that little delay takes away the immediate joy and relief of celebrating a goal - arguably the best thing that can happen during a football match. Casadei's winner against Cardiff the primary example I can think of this season. It was so nice knowing that no idiots in a little caravan were gonna examine it to death. 

Iheanacho vs Everton a few seasons back is probably the counter argument to this, since VAR pretty much gave us that moment. But as I said, it does a lot of things right, but ultimately, it's not for me. As Stan said, don't implement it throughout until the Premier League have got it right. 

The traditionalist in me says no, and I really do think football would just be better without it, however, you look at instances like the glaringly obvious one between Ipswich and Plymouth at the weekend and it brings you back round to saying yes

No. Yes there will be mistakes, and perhaps costly ones, but I would rather just accept (and probably whinge) about the on-field decision then mess around waiting to find out if goals are allowed. 

Yes it would mean the most glaring errors are corrected but you can't have that without all the other negative aspects. But now it's been implemented, I can't see it ever going away. Are there even enough referees to have it all through the EPL? 

14 hours ago, StanSP said:

Not until they sort the implementation out in the top leagues. 

Literally coming to say this. 

I've always been very pro technology. I'm for VAR in concept but it's been absolutely butchered by PGMOL, the FA, The Premier League and everyone else with a finger in the pie. 

It needs to be fixed and made fit for purpose before it's rolled out elsewhere. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Well that is us told .

Fans cannot listen to live audio as it’s too chaotic and unsafe for officials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67265837

Why on Earth can the TMO system work so well in terms of such communication in rugby, but they evidently make such a dogs breakfast of it in VAR/football?

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Well that is us told .

Fans cannot listen to live audio as it’s too chaotic and unsafe for officials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67265837

It doesn't seem to occur to him that if it;s chaotic, then it ought to be made non-chaotic.

You hear the video official in rugby league, and it's not chaotic at all.  It's calm and clear, and it almost always gets it right.   And, incidentally, the ref gives a clear signal to the crowd when it is being used and gives another clear signal when the result is in.

• Like 3

The biggest annoyance for me is how it's used in the FA Cup.

If your ground is equipped for it, it's implemented, otherwise, it isn't. 

To me, that isn't a level playing field.

It's the same competition, so should be used by everyone, or no-one. 

And for the amount we moan about VAR, justifyingly so, can I take you all back to the afternoon of May 15th 2021?

It was alright then, weren't it? lol

• Like 1