Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
City Fan

Is it really the attack thats a problem?

Even though CL has said in the press that he is on the lookout for a new striker in the transfer window, I think it is the defence that needs sorting.

Our recent results:

Leicester 2-2 Watford

Leicester 4-2 Sheff Utd.

Bolton 2-1 Leicester

Leeds 2-1 Leicester

Stoke 3-2 Leicester

So thats 10 goals scored in the last 5 games, which is an average of 2 goals a game, bearing in mind we had an average of 1.7 goals a game in our last promotion season. The attacks a problem? Err I think not.

And thats 11 goals conceded in the last 5 games, which works out at a whopping 2.2 goals a game, when we had an average of 0.9 conceded in our last promotion season.

I think Levein lived up to his word about a month ago when we had the international break. At that time we had been firing blanks and couldn't score for love nor money, but were keeping clean sheets for fun.

The heady days of 0-0 (Brighton, Preston, Southampton) look to have ended but now we're far too sloppy at the back instead.

I think Levein lived up to his word about a month ago when we had the international break. At that time we had been firing blanks and couldn't score for love nor money, but were keeping clean sheets for fun.

The heady days of 0-0 (Brighton, Preston, Southampton) look to have ended but now we're far too sloppy at the back instead.

Statisticians can correct me but I'm not sure we're giving teams any more chances now than we used to. It's just that we were pretty lucky to escape with a clean sheet in some games and have been hit by teams taking a high proportion of their few chances in more recent ones.

This is one of the frustrating things. No-one is tearing us to bits and winning. Indeed (Leeds, Stoke, Watford, and others) we are having the better of matches, conceding few chances yet we're still losing or failing to win.

It appears to be more about concentration and ruthlessness rather than just personnel although the weaknesses we have seem generally agreed upon by posters.

There may be discussions about who their best replacements might be but generally, Douglas, Sylla and Kisnorbo are cited as being The Weakest Links.

One poster said there's no replacement for Sylla but you could play Smith on the right and Hammill left to maintain the 4-4-2 with two wingers. Not ideal but better.

Henderson may well be a goalkeeping improvement and Stearman, I am sure, would be a better prospect than Kisnorbo in defensive midfield. So all three problems can probably be solved or, surely, improved upon.

I still think we need a new striker, Hume and Hammond have been doing well up front together but neither has shown himself to be a prolific goalscorer yet. De Vries is good for a different option but after those three we have no-one (Dublin is past it up front and no matter how good some of the kids are none of them will get us 15 goals in their first season). Although we've scored more recently (six of the last ten goals we've scored have been scored by midfielders.. that isn't a bad thing of course but the stat 10 goals in 5 games does flatter our strikers) we've still missed quite a few chances.

I don't think we have a problem in defence as such, for the Stoke game specifically I think we missed Paddy, not just because it would have enabled us to be a bit quicker but because Gerrbrand and Dublin had never played together before and didn't have that understanding (and Dublin particularly had a poor game). We've changed our playing style completely over the last few games, it's been more entertaining but it must have been quite a shock for our [mostly inexperienced] defence as before they'd had 3-4 players helping them out and suddenly those players are gone... I do think we'll get better but unpopularity it'll take more time.

I agree with some things others have said on other threads about the lack of stability in the back line. There are bound to be a few moments in a game where players aren't on the same page when there's no stability--a poor backpass, a missed marking assignment and just simply getting beat on the third goal ruined what was a good away performance last Friday.

Hume and Hammond work hard, have decent speed and aren't afraid to take their chances. They're not 20-goal scorers but they're good value. They're not the problem.

CL doesn't need to make a huge overhaul to fix this team--Gerrbrand and Paddy are good, Joey G is giving the team a huge boost with his offensive production, and if Smith sticks around through May, that'll be a huge help. I think they'd do a lot better with a new right wing midfielder--Sylla doesn't really do much but push the ball ahead of him and run. If Levein can't bring in new blood, Richard Stearman could probably do a better job than Sylla on the right wing, Maybury can slide in at right back and Sheehan/transfer target/a returning inspired Peter Gilbert :P/etc. can have a regular spot at LB. Once that is settled, all CL has to do is get Hughes healthy and focused or teach Kisnorbo how to pass and they'd have a good starting 11 (though I don't know if Leicester plan to sell in January).

If the money isn't there, I bet Levein will really, really hope that Lee Morris can finally get healthy if only just to have another option off the bench.

We've scored a few, yes, but look at the chances missed, and worse still the amount of possession we have without managing to create any chance at all.

Goal scoring isn't just about the man who gets the last touch, it's what we do before that matters most, and to be honest, I still don't think we're good enough.

Archived