Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FNQ

Levein Out?

Levein Out?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Levein Out?

• Yes
    • No

I think most people rate Sheehan, just don't think he's quite ready for the first team yet.

I'm all for giving him another chance when he returns from suspension, but that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism if he doesn't play well.

I'm all for giving him another chance when he returns from suspension, but that doesn't mean he's immune from criticism if he doesn't play well.

Come on Anish. I've all the time in the world for your viewpoint. I conceded much of what you said about Sheehan's performance because you were right. But, the fact still remains that, no matter how many of your friends inevitably rush to your defence, you (and others) tore the lad apart and indicated, quite clearly that he wasn't ready for first team football.

There's nothing wrong with that opinion, just don't make out anything's changed in a couple of weeks because it's not. Consequently, by the standards of his critics, he's still not ready.

The verbal assassination you and others meted out will almost certainly have blasted his confidence. Imagine you were the victim.

And consequently I can't believe there'll be any early return for Sheehan (unless out of desperation) because he'll be scared to make a mistake now and would probably go negative. Why? Because, unlike others, he knows he'll get instant and vigorous condemnation.

We don't want people playing scared, we don't want Sheehan nervous about backing attacks or trying a tricky pass because everyone's waiting to pounce on his every error and that BEFORE he's had the chance to find his feet.

And, if he's nervous of playing his natural attacking game there's no point in picking him anyway.

I've never claimed he's a defensive colossus cos he's still learning. Just that he's as good as all others defensively and much, much better in attack. The man's a footballer not a makeweight.

Some I know disagree vehemently but I believe, (his bookings and his error for the goal apart), that Sheehan played well against Crewe, making lots of positive passes and having several decent shots. I also think he will have learned from his errors. But he won't have achieved the flawless mental perfection so obviously required in just a few days.

We've collected four points from his two appearances and the team has played generally well.

But, if you think I believe he should be immune from criticism then you don't know my way of thinking.

I just said that he should be given a fair chance to adjust to first team football like so many before him, rather than having isolated incidents used to crucify him before he has had that chance. I said that BEFORE the Crewe game but no-one took any notice. He was lambasted. Plain and simple and I see no point in pleading his case further.

Why? Because some people are naturally given extended leeway and understanding by the fans (Nils, who was diabolical against Millwall, Douglas, Hammond, Sylla for sure). Others, sadly, are not. That's the way it has always been.

So lets not be hypocritical and talk about "another chance" for Sheehan. The damage has been done and, for some if not you, the antagonism, the ready condemnation, remains not far beneath the surface. Thank God he can't play against Reading. Let someone else stand as sacrificial lamb.

Shame though. The phrase "they know not what they do" springs to mind.

Come on Anish. I've all the time in the world for your viewpoint. I conceded much of what you said about Sheehan's performance because you were right. But, the fact still remains that, no matter how many of your friends inevitably rush to your defence, you (and others) tore the lad apart and indicated, quite clearly that he wasn't ready for first team football.

There's nothing wrong with that opinion, just don't make out anything's changed in a couple of weeks because it's not. Consequently, by the standards of his critics, he's still not ready.

The verbal assassination you and others meted out will almost certainly have blasted his confidence. Imagine you were the victim.

And consequently I can't believe there'll be any early return for Sheehan (unless out of desperation) because he'll be scared to make a mistake now and would probably go negative. Why? Because, unlike others, he knows he'll get instant and vigorous condemnation.

We don't want people playing scared, we don't want Sheehan nervous about backing attacks or trying a tricky pass because everyone's waiting to pounce on his every error and that BEFORE he's had the chance to find his feet.

And, if he's nervous of playing his natural attacking game there's no point in picking him anyway.

I've never claimed he's a defensive colossus cos he's still learning. Just that he's as good as all others defensively and much, much better in attack. The man's a footballer not a makeweight.

Some I know disagree vehemently but I believe, (his bookings and his error for the goal apart), that Sheehan played well against Crewe, making lots of positive passes and having several decent shots. I also think he will have learned from his errors. But he won't have achieved the flawless mental perfection so obviously required in just a few days.

We've collected four points from his two appearances and the team has played generally well.

But, if you think I believe he should be immune from criticism then you don't know my way of thinking.

I just said that he should be given a fair chance to adjust to first team football like so many before him, rather than having isolated incidents used to crucify him before he has had that chance. I said that BEFORE the Crewe game but no-one took any notice. He was lambasted. Plain and simple and I see no point in pleading his case further.

Why? Because some people are naturally given extended leeway and understanding by the fans (Nils, who was diabolical against Millwall, Douglas, Hammond, Sylla for sure). Others, sadly, are not. That's the way it has always been.

So lets not be hypocritical and talk about "another chance" for Sheehan. The damage has been done and, for some if not you, the antagonism, the ready condemnation, remains not far beneath the surface. Thank God he can't play against Reading. Let someone else stand as sacrificial lamb.

Shame though. The phrase "they know not what they do" springs to mind.

I didn't go the game so i don't knwo if he was booed or anything, but he wasn't slated that much on here was he? And i doubt he reads these boards, so i can't see his confidence being knocked too much.

I think he may have been built up too much before he got this game and then when the goal came from his side and he got his sending off, after expecting to see a great performance from a great young player people were left dissapointed.

I'm just hoping he or someone else will make that left back position their own as it is a position that needs filling by just one person and soon

lol @Thrac.

A bit melodramatic, no?

Sheehan won't have read these forums so won't know the slating he received. And anyway, if he takes it to heart so much to affect his confidence and performance, then he should question whether he's mentally strong enough to be a professional footballer. Every player in our team has come under a lot of stick at one point or another during their spell here, I don't see why Sheehan should be different.

God I didn't realise the power of my words ;)

lol @Thrac.

A bit melodramatic, no?

Sheehan won't have read these forums so won't know the slating he received. And anyway, if he takes it to heart so much to affect his confidence and performance, then he should question whether he's mentally strong enough to be a professional footballer. Every player in our team has come under a lot of stick at one point or another during their spell here, I don't see why Sheehan should be different.

God I didn't realise the power of my words ;)

Words are powerful. My (male) form master burst into floods of tears once because of something I said to him in front of the class.

Most of these threads are inconsequential in the wider world but every word on here gets back one way or another, at least that has been my distinct impression, and for good reasons that I won't labour.

It was not the criticism of Sheehan which annoyed me it was the condemnation. He was pilloried. It wasn't the truth of the words, it was the verbal savagery (yours and others).

As for Sheehan being treated the same as others don't even start me down that road. Take Monday. Everyone on earth was hammered for Millwall's goal except the biggest culprit .....Nils. And I cannot remember anyone getting such a vicious caning on their first or second League appearance.

In calling for a bit of understanding was I being so unreasonable?. Everyone who starts a new job - even in work of low public exposure - can expect a little leeway and understanding for a few weeks when they start. Prime Ministers call it their honeymoon period, a time when errors are reported but basically underplayed. Sheehan just got a hammering.

right this is probably a stupid question but could someone who was at the game tell me what actually happened to sheehan because I missed the game cause i was on holiday?

I voted for levein to stay as although there have been a couple of rubbish performances reecently i do see some hope. spread the love :wub:

Archived