Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Disillusioned

Leicester & Nottingham

Posters on this board with memories slightly better than the average goldfish (about 1% of you) may be able to remember our last promotion season in which all sorts of records were broken. That season there were probably three teams that were more talented than LCFC. Porstmouth (who went up as champions) Sheffield United (who lost out on promotion because of their League & FA Cup runs) and F****t.

What did it for a very talented F****t side was their appalling away form. By contrast, LCFC gathered more points on the road than at any time in its history. Things have not changed at F****t. They are currently ninth in Division One because of their atrocious away form.

Unfortunately things have changed at Leicester and our away form is just as bad as our rivals. What was very odd was that the change was virtually instantaneous once Adams left. Under him we knew that any purple period of possession by LCFC would almost always end with our scoring and that if we conceded that we could hit back quickly. Now, any lengthy periods of LCFC possession are more likely to lead to the opposition scoring.

If you look at how good teams go into decline you will notice that home form may dip slightly but the real crash comes on the road (look at Arsenal's away record this season - do you remember when they were regularly 3 or 4 goals up by half time?) Poor away form is much harder to correct than poor home form as the away side has much less control over things.

A good club confronted with this problem has two options. One is to effectively accept that it is in decline by doing little out of the ordinary to correct it. In this context 'little out of the ordinary' means adhering to the usual budgets, retaining failing personnel etc. The other is to gamble and shock the patient out of its coma.

I concede that it is just possible that LCFC might just duck the sabre's swing this season if things remain as they are. What I don't accept is that if we succeed in keeping our Championship status and reward current team management by keeping them on there will be a significant improvement next season. So don't be tempted by Paddy Powers promo odds.

History shows that the most reliable way to improve away form is to either bring great players in (which we can't do) or get a poor manager out (which we can).

Posters on this board with memories slightly better than the average goldfish (about 1% of you) may be able to remember our last promotion season in which all sorts of records were broken. That season there were probably three teams that were more talented than LCFC. Porstmouth (who went up as champions) Sheffield United (who lost out on promotion because of their League & FA Cup runs) and F****t.

What did it for a very talented F****t side was their appalling away form. By contrast, LCFC gathered more points on the road than at any time in its history. Things have not changed at F****t. They are currently ninth in Division One because of their atrocious away form.

Unfortunately things have changed at Leicester and our away form is just as bad as our rivals. What was very odd was that the change was virtually instantaneous once Adams left. Under him we knew that any purple period of possession by LCFC would almost always end with our scoring and that if we conceded that we could hit back quickly. Now, any lengthy periods of LCFC possession are more likely to lead to the opposition scoring.

But Adams isn't here any more, so why keep going on about it?

We got promoted because we had the best squad and the players had 1/3 of their wages deffered until we got promoted (I'd try harder if there was a £400,000 carrot at the end of the season), administration and high wages meant that no-one could come in or go out.

Get over it Chandler, a monkey could have got city promoted that season (and he did!).

What was very odd was that the change was virtually instantaneous once Adams left. Under him we knew that any purple period of possession by LCFC would almost always end with our scoring and that if we conceded that we could hit back quickly. Now, any lengthy periods of LCFC possession are more likely to lead to the opposition scoring.

Sorry are we on about the same Leicester and the same Micky Adams as you must of been in cloud cuckoo land if you believed that's how we were playing the season he "walked out".

Sorry are we on about the same Leicester and the same Micky Adams as you must of been in cloud cuckoo land if you believed that's how we were playing the season he "walked out".

It's also interesting to note that whilst we started the season winning the majority of games, as the season wore on, we began to draw more than win. It's also interesting that once we were promoted, results and performances dropped considerably. I would have thought that going on to win the Championship would have really stuck two fingers up at the FL, but it obviously wasn't, and backs up onlyme's comment about the wage deferral.

You're right. It all becomes so clear. SO this explains why teams would come at us in the last few minutes, knowing that we wouldn't have time to hit back. This explains all the collapses that we endured, conceding countless numbers of last minute goals.

Now before you hit back, I do agree that our away form is a massive worry and I am not defending Levein's current record. I am merely trying to remove the rose-tinted spectacles that you seem to have, although I am sure it is an impossible job.

[..] Unfortunately things have changed at Leicester and our away form is just as bad as our rivals. What was very odd was that the change was virtually instantaneous once Adams left. Under him we knew that any purple period of possession by LCFC would almost always end with our scoring and that if we conceded that we could hit back quickly. Now, any lengthy periods of LCFC possession are more likely to lead to the opposition scoring.[..]

:laugh:

Unfortunately for you Chandler, many of us do have memories longer than a goldfish, we especially remember the many, many games where rather than capitalising on a lead we capitulated and went on to lose the match.

The points mentioned above about deferred wages and the results after gaining promotion say a lot as well.

And for the rest of your post? Why does it take you 400 odd words to say 'I think we should sack the manager'?

We got promoted because we had the best squad and the players had 1/3 of their wages deffered until we got promoted (I'd try harder if there was a £400,000 carrot at the end of the season), administration and high wages meant that no-one could come in or go out.

Get over it Chandler, a monkey could have got city promoted that season (and he did!).

You complete idiot. Craig Levein would have had us scrambling for survival.

Another load of t*ss from FNQ, like I said the team didn't need a manager and it didn't really have one. Go watch Cov if you love thicky so much.

Another load of t*ss from FNQ, like I said the team didn't need a manager and it didn't really have one. Go watch Cov if you love thicky so much.

Oh to be a Coventry city fan. Sadly I'm not so I wont be watching them.

I agree, many people here seem to think the players affect results more then the manager I disagree. A good manager can make a poor team win games and a bad manager can make a good team do some big howlers. Also to note that that lisa may have done a home goal with we was winning games early on that season before any kind of wage defferal kicked in. Obviously our results were going to dip once the aim had been achieved the same thing happened to portsmouth both teams had a dip in form once they accrued the needed points for promotion and we will see the same thing this year with reading.

I agree, many people here seem to think the players affect results more then the manager I disagree. A good manager can make a poor team win games and a bad manager can make a good team do some big howlers. Also to note that that lisa may have done a home goal with we was winning games early on that season before any kind of wage defferal kicked in. Obviously our results were going to dip once the aim had been achieved the same thing happened to portsmouth both teams had a dip in form once they accrued the needed points for promotion and we will see the same thing this year with reading.

Both Mickeh and Levein have proved to be poor appointments but for different reasons.

PS. Portsmouth carried on after confirming promotion to beat us by 6 clear points.

I think his point was the away form collapsed over night when adams left. You also avoided the point where he mentioned typically what solves away form on past history.

And I think you missed the point of my post. It was directed at someone who keeps harping on about Mickeh, either in this guise or under the previous alias if the hype is to be believed. Therefore, to say I was avoiding a point is a bit fruitless, n'est pa?

Also to note that that lisa may have done a home goal with we was winning games early on that season before any kind of wage defferal kicked in. Obviously our results were going to dip once the aim had been achieved the same thing happened to portsmouth both teams had a dip in form once they accrued the needed points for promotion and we will see the same thing this year with reading.

Why do you have such a problem with me? I didn't originally mention the point, did I (rhetorical question there).

The players were certainly up for it, until promotion looked a certainty. At one point we were comfortably ahead of Sheff Yoo, only to see them catch up. Once the carrot looked to be uncertain, the form picked up, we were guaranteed promotion, then we didn't perform, and haven't since.

Pompey's dip wasn't as great as ours. They won the Championship comfortably in the end, but until promotion was guaranteed, we were breathing right down their necks.

Given the records Reading could break, and with Steve Coppell in charge, I would be surprised to see Reading ease up once they are promoted. To be honest, I would be disappointed in them, and i don't like Reading.

Like him or not, I cannot for the life of me understand why people can't see that we were a better team under Micky Adams. We won more games and we were higher in the league. Isn't that what you supposed to try and do.

Like him or not, I cannot for the life of me understand why people can't see that we were a better team under Micky Adams. We won more games and we were higher in the league. Isn't that what you supposed to try and do.

Unfortunately you can't qualify those statements. MA left some 10-12 games into the season which didn't give any kind of indication as to whether City would have maintained the same form, improved or got worse through the rest of the season with him in charge.

Sadly, we'll never know what MA's purchases, team selections and tactics would have achieved that year as he didn't give us the chance to judge.

Unfortunately you can't qualify those statements. MA left some 10-12 games into the season which didn't give any kind of indication as to whether City would have maintained the same form, improved or got worse through the rest of the season with him in charge.

Sadly, we'll never know what MA's purchases, team selections and tactics would have achieved that year as he didn't give us the chance to judge.

Not if we have to judge by your criteria. I prefer to judge by the scientific method of what did happen and has happened since. Therefore I don't really think it's necessary to qualify anything.

Not if we have to judge by your criteria. I prefer to judge by the scientific method of what did happen and has happened since. Therefore I don't really think it's necessary to qualify anything.

Ah, but there's no way of knowing what has happened wouldn't have happened under MA now is there. hence, this is a pointless argument. He's gone. Get over it.

:)

Ah, but there's no way of knowing what has happened wouldn't have happened under MA now is there. hence, this is a pointless argument. He's gone. Get over it.

:)

In which case we might as well all go home and play fantasy football. I agree it's a pointless argument. Can't think why you would want to have started it!!

FNQ, Chrysalis. 1444ry,

You can't reason with unreasonable people. These posters are up to their tits in guilt and denial. Only two sceptics make any points worth answering so I'll get them out of the way first.

1) Yes we did lose leads, but this was a hallmark of our time in the Prem. The only significant lead we lost in the Championship under Adams was a 2-0 at QPR after Connolly was harshly sent off having had the shit kicked and elbowed out of him for an hour.

2) Draws... This was a feature of our last campaign when we were, along with Wolves, the draw bores of the entire league. Towards the end of the promo season we did start to draw a few but considering by then we were down to the bare bones of a small squad that was hardly surprising.

And now to that fool who reckons that any idiot (including Levein, I take it) could have got us promotion a couple of seasons back as we had the best squad in the division. I find this utterly hilarious. Don't you remember HOOFBALL you Twat? Is Hoofball a sign of a great squad then? And can't you remember moaning constantly about the age of the squad?

I suppose the £10 million firesale before the promo season never happened did it or were the likes of Savage, Rowett, Piper et al just 'deadwood'? Oh yes, we did get rid of 'deadwood' but not before but rather after the job was done. And it wasn't just the fringe players who left, it was also the regulars in that promo side.

Or do you conveniently not remember that nearly half this squad had to be released because it was not considered good enough to survive a Prem campaign? Or don't you remember Junior Lewis (Cult Hero), Tricky Trev (not considered good enough by GILLINGHAM) Rogers and Impey? I could go on. Only one player in that side commands a guaranteed berth in The Prem at the moment (Izzet) and he missed half the promo season through injury.

As for the wages deferral; don't you remember the hullabaloo when it was first mooted just before we were forced into administration? Don't you remember that idiot Walker saying that we were filling the stadium and that the club shouldn't have a problem paying players in the normal way? Don't you? And don't you remember the rumours that were circulating that even if the team got promotion that players still wouldn't got their moolah back?

As for administration being a booster for promotion... how comes then we were the only team to have got promotion (up until that time) during an admin season? If it was that easy why didn't clubs go for the 'soft' option and do that? Maybe because they would not have come out the other side (we were less than an hour from extinction)?

There is no doubt that both last season's and this season's squad is at least as good, if not better than the promo winning side. But not only did we not get autoprom, play-off prom or even mid table mediocrity - we got two relegation dogfights. And the current regime managed to do this last season from a berth just two wins of a play-off spot. Oh yes, any idiot (except the current idot) could get us promotion alright.

Think before you write such unadulterated crap in future you feckin' jerk.

FNQ, Chrysalis. 1444ry,

You can't reason with unreasonable people.

Were those three here backing Adams up last season? I'd like to know. A few people were including myself, HullFox and you chandler. I got called every name under the sun for sticking up for the guy because of the job he HAD done.

Had he stayed we may well have finished higher than we did under Levein. We may well of not been in the bottom three (I did warn this would happen when people wanted him out) But there was no real future under him if i'm honest. Looking back I don't really regret him going as the football was the worst I have honestly seen. We've seen some rubbish this year but nothing like I felt after watching a MA's game.

What I do regret is the appointment of Levein. I have backed him as much as humanly possible but I have always stated if we touched the bottom three after this amount of the season then the board have a serious decision to make!!!

Anyway back on topic...

I just disagree with you making MA out to be some kind of messiah. I mean to say "Under him we knew that any purple period of possession by LCFC would almost always end with our scoring and that if we conceded that we could hit back quickly" it's ludicrous.

Well, the keys to the promotion season were:

1)paul dickov - signed by DAVE BASSET, not adams

2)brian deane - signed by DAVE BASSET, not adams

3)solid defence - Taggart, Elliot, Davidson, Sinclair, Walker. all good sides build from a solid defence, and adams couldn't go too far wrong with that back line really.

4)midfield legend - izzet, made everything tick in midfield, and it showed when he was missing. such class at adams disposal there.

fair play on adams for getting us promotion, but with the players he had, it wasn't exactly a miracle, we would have expected to be up around the top.

Archived