Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moseeds

It has to be Sheehan?

How can anyone now say Maybury should still be preferred to Sheehan after the last few games, well the whole of the season so far actually. Maybury is being played out of position and it is blindingly obvious it is not in his repertoire to play as a left back. I am sure Sheehan cannot do any worse. I still don't understand how Levein and many other posters on various message boards can consistently believe there is no alternative to Maybury at left back. I think putting Sheehan at left back will take the "What We Are Doing Right Levels" upto 95%.

There is a huge gaping hole in that left-back position and it needs a fix sooner rather than later. I believe any miraculous upturn in fortunes is largely dependent on that left-back position.

Maybury's a TNUC, get rid. Just as bad as Kisnorbo, de Vries, Douglas, Hamill, etc.

Infact name one player from the SPL that's been consistently any good? I'm even starting to question Stephen Hughes. Sweaty's

I still think he should give Kisnorbo another game at left back. He does look better in defence. Other than that play Sheehan.

How can anyone now say Maybury should still be preferred to Sheehan after the last few games, well the whole of the season so far actually. Maybury is being played out of position and it is blindingly obvious it is not in his repertoire to play as a left back. I am sure Sheehan cannot do any worse. I still don't understand how Levein and many other posters on various message boards can consistently believe there is no alternative to Maybury at left back. I think putting Sheehan at left back will take the "What We Are Doing Right Levels" upto 95%.

I was think of doing a very similar thread...folk moan about maybury, but then pick him for the next game, bizare. We dont need maybs at RB, but we do need maybury`s experience in a confidence battered team and squad.

Maybury's a TNUC, get rid. Just as bad as Kisnorbo, de Vries, Douglas, Hamill, etc.

Infact name one player from the SPL that's been consistently any good? I'm even starting to question Stephen Hughes. Sweaty's

It shames me to say it being a Scot but yes all the SPL players he has bought look shockingly average at best. Only 3 teams in Scotalnd, Celtic, Ramgers and Clyde.

There is a huge gaping hole in that left-back position and it needs a fix sooner rather than later. I believe any miraculous upturn in fortunes is largely dependent on that left-back position.

I couldn't agree more. Maybury just seems to run around like a headless chicken. Sheehan has played well on the whole and deserves another chance. He certainly can't do any worse, so long as he doesn't go and do anything daft like get sent off.

I couldn't agree more. Maybury just seems to run around like a headless chicken. Sheehan has played well on the whole and deserves another chance. He certainly can't do any worse, so long as he doesn't go and do anything daft like get sent off.

The header of this thread is 'it has to be Sheehan'. IMO, it had to be Sheehan from about November-time.

Johansson, Maybury and Kisnorbo all seem incapable. Not that i would mention these names before Sheehans anyway, but Stearman has shown with his fantastic performances what happens when a raw player with bags of ability gets a run in the side. Now he seems almost irreplacible. Sheehan is raw and has lots of ability and if you gave him a run in the side, like Stearman, he will become a valuable asset.

CL's views on Sheehan taken from the January edition of the Fox Forum Magazine, if you want to read the full interview you can by it here.

I appreciate most wont give a damn now but it's is quite interesting.

Any way - The Sheehan View by CL::

TF: That more pacey approach seemed to scare the hell out of Sheffield United...

CL: Yes, well that was one thing I was intent on doing — playing higher up the pitch. You need a fit side to do it: McCarthy is fit, so is Maybury and so are Stearman and Sheehan.

That is how I want to play and with the right combination we can do it. Though if Dion is in defence then we get dragged back towards our own goal again. The left back position has caused me the most difficulty.

TF: You seemed to be quite happy to let Peter Gilbert go after a few weeks

CL: yes, well he didn't settle in and I don't think he really bought into what we were trying to do as quickly as we would have liked. So I made a mistake. I'll put my hands up to that and then move on, you know?

Sheehan will play there, without a doubt; it's just a matter of when. He is almost ready but still just a bit young. He is the one I have marked for that position and if we were playing well then it would be an easy decision, I would just put him in and say go ahead, get on with it. But the way things are just at the moment I am a bit reluctant to throw him in there. I have been dealing with emerging players of that age for a good few years now and you have to be careful with them. First you start them training with the first team and that step up sees an improvement in their game and their confidence grows. When you think they have reached a certain stage of maturity you can give them the odd game. But if you start playing them regularly and they have a nightmare then you can set their confidence back by months. Sheehan has been catching my eye in training for a while and I know that, when he is ready for the step up, he will give us that balance in defence.

I fear, rather like Gordon Brown's economic conditions for joining the Euro, these conditions set by Levein will never materialise and lead to Sheehan leaving sooner rather than later. I'm sure the boy has ambition too.

Doesn't mean they'll be realised though.

On this issue, for once I fear the manager may be right.

With two youngsters already in the back four (and three teenagers already in the squad) I don't think the time is right for him to be brought back at the moment.

We need players who can do a man's job. And I'm not convinced Sheehan's ready for that just yet.

No, Mayburys crap at left back, he's not too bad on the right.

I wonder whether or not we should try stearman on the left for a bit. He can use his left foot and he's a great defender ;)

With two youngsters already in the back four (and three teenagers already in the squad) I don't think the time is right for him to be brought back at the moment.

We need players who can do a man's job. And I'm not convinced Sheehan's ready for that just yet.

You may well be right but I've watched a hell of a lot of football this season and I haven't seen Nils, Maybury, Kisnorbo, Hughes or Hamill doing a man's job. I've also seen a hell of a lot of defeats. So I'd sure like to see, just to find out because a) Stearman has developed brilliantly and b) City's record with Sheehan in is a damned sight better than when he's out.

Maybe not buthe can't be worse than Maybury. I'm that if you compared the side of the pitch that most conceded goals come from it would be the left. Maybury isn't that bad a player, but there's no way he can keep Stearman out the side. If Sheehan were played on the left with (initially) Dublin then I think he could do really well. Even if he doesn't start he shouls at least be on the bench most games, so that Maybury knows there's pressure and hopefully performs better, but at this rate he has to be dropped.

It's really got to the stage now, where it's time he gets back into the squad. I gave the lad a hard time after the Crewe match, but Maybury just isn't good enough at LB, Nissa can be alright but he can't play intelligent balls he just wacks it foward looking for De Vries, or looks inside for Gerrbrand or Mcarthy if De Vries isn't in the team. Fine for a Centre back, a bit more variety is needed in a left back. It's been over a month since Crewe and to be honest he can't do much worse then what we have at the minute.

Ultra is right about the amount of teenagers in our team though, this isn't a ideal situation for young heads to be in, espically when the older members of our team are having their confidence destroyed by either the management ( Dublin, Wilcox, ) or the fans ( Sylla, Kisnorbo, Tiatto, De Vries, Soon to be followed by Maybury ) whos going to give the younger players the lift they need?

You can see the confidence leaking out players who once had a spring in their step, Smith definately, Stearmen in the last 20 mins of Saturday also.

Maybury was played at left-back by Levein at Hearts as he wanted to accomodate an 'up and coming' right-back in Robbie Neilson (who you're welcome to, by the way :D) and it simply did not work.

I don't understand why he persists in doing this as I've heard you've got one or two decent left and right backs.....?

One of whom isn't Paddy Kisnorbo, by the way.

CL: yes, well he didn't settle in and I don't think he really bought into what we were trying to do as quickly as we would have liked. So I made a mistake. I'll put my hands up to that and then move on, you know?

Well, it's the first time I've seen his explanation re: Gilbert. I just find it a little baffling that he's revealed this in a Fanzine rather than go more public. However, I suppose Barber and co didn't bother asking him the question beforehand.

Despite his explanation, it seems a bit vague. What exactly was he not doing as quickly as Levein liked? What particular strengths did Levein see in him in the first place?

I still maintain he wasn't given a proper chance. He played 4 games at the start of the season when he was blatantly not match fit. Too late to dwell on it now. He admitted to a mistake (Which is not usual) so you have to give him credit for that.

Archived