Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scow

Hillsborough and the Taylor Report

I'm doing this for my dissertation for my last year at uni. The dissertation should be around 13k words, so I've got to find a way of being able to write that much. :w00t:

Anyone who knows any good websites or literature for this would be greatly appreciated. :)

The dissertaion will also focus on the impact the Taylor Report has had on football, and how other's view the recommendations/regulations implemented.

I'm gonna fail this. ;)

I'm doing this for my dissertation for my last year at uni. The dissertation should be around 13k words, so I've got to find a way of being able to write that much.  :w00t:

Anyone who knows any good websites or literature for this would be greatly appreciated.  :)

The dissertaion will also focus on the impact the Taylor Report has had on football, and how other's view the recommendations/regulations implemented.

I'm gonna fail this.  ;)

26874[/snapback]

You'll do fine, just remember every now and again to take your footballing supporters cap off to ensure you get some objectivity into it. :)

By the way 13K words is not that bad, your match reports are 500 odd words so think of it as 26 match reports, just over half a season's reporting - see it's easy.

Best of Luck. :thumbup:

You could try to include an international perspective by focussing on countries such as Germany where standing is allowed - and say whether all-seater stadia was really required in view of the lack of trouble in such countries. This would enable you to see what other countries have done to make football stadia safe, and allow you to compare and contrast that with the Taylor Report.

You could try to include an international perspective by focussing on countries such as Germany where standing is allowed - and say whether all-seater stadia was really required in view of the lack of trouble in such countries. This would enable you to see what other countries have done to make football stadia safe, and allow you to compare and contrast that with the Taylor Report.

26899[/snapback]

Thanks Anish. :)

Thanks to Buzzer, Ash and BM aswell. :thumbup:

26899[/snapback]

27068[/snapback]

And I shall thank Davie for you :ph34r::thumbup:

26899[/snapback]

27068[/snapback]

27083[/snapback]

Ooooops, cheers Davie. ;)

26899[/snapback]

27068[/snapback]

27083[/snapback]

Good job it's a forum because I'm not SPEAKING to you ;)

Ooooops, cheers Davie. ;)

27084[/snapback]

http://hillsborough.mlm-heaven.com click on "learn more"

Also worth reading this weeks Spectator Magazine which refers to the Liverpool "victim" mentality. (their opinion, not mine)

Also, assume you are at Leicester Uni but this is a great link for facts

http://www.le.ac.uk/footballresearch/resou...sheets/fs2.html

Good luck Scowy, you'll need to remain focussed and work to deadlines. Also get somebody to sanity check your work so you remain objective.

Scowy,

I had a friend and his brother, Nick 16 and Carl Hewitt 17 from Oadby, die in the crush at Hillsborough while I lived in Oadby. Nick was a good friend and was in my class in Beauchamp. I almost thought about going to the FAC semi-final with them, I'm glad I didn't..

The funeral to this day still haunts me - still the most harrowing funeral I'm ever likely to attend in my life. The two coffins were brought in with all the flowers on top, some shaped as 'LFC'. It was a sight I'm never going to forget. Part of me felt like they were heroes the other part just terrible victims and someone had to take the blame.

Sadly Nick and Carl were the victims of their own good timekeeping, they used to tell me they loved getting to the games early to take in the atmosphere, getting a prime spot at the front behind the goal. I had bad dreams for nights on end after the crush, imagining myself with them and trying to push them out to safety over those monstrous 9 foot metal fences..

I still don't buy the The Sun to this day after the shocking things I had seen and heard about that the reporters had wrote. I wish I hadn't seen the TV CCTV footage of the pens near the front as I kept thinking I could see them.

I kept loads of newspaper cuttings which are somewhere stored away back at my mums in Oadby (I've lived in London now 13 odd years) as I had to keep them.

Scowy, I've still got the black book with the red writing which was the official eyewitness reports. It makes difficult reading for me I must say as it is very detailed and takes a lot of different peoples view points. Its called "The Day of the Hillsborough Disaster"

Check it here -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...6501671-6545429

Nick and Carls dad was a quiet man and he had the task I would never wish on anyone, to go to Sheffield looking to find out if all your children are still alive.

The helplines were jammed so off he went..

God can only imagine what it must have been like for him to suddenly see both his sons in body bags in the makeshift mortuary. There are parts described in the book later on which were difficult to read, people could have been describing my friends lying there in the mortuary disfigured beyond recognition.

I still have the Jimmy McGovern Hillsborough ITV dramatisation on VHS by the way, well worth a watch. I'd never heard of Christopher Ecclestone before this and I thought he played Trevor Hicks brilliantly. It really hits home. It was weird to see the judge was played by Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor from Star Wars!)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/tv/100/list/prog.php3?id=54

To this day when I think my luck is out, I think back to Nick and Carl and realise things could be a lot worse.

Scowy,

I had a friend and his brother, Nick 16 and Carl Hewitt 17 from Oadby, die in the crush at Hillsborough while I lived in Oadby. Nick was a good friend and was in my class in Beauchamp. I almost thought about going to the FAC semi-final with them, I'm glad I didn't..

The funeral to this day still haunts me - still the most harrowing funeral I'm ever likely to attend in my life. The two coffins were brought in with all the flowers on top, some shaped as 'LFC'. It was a sight I'm never going to forget. Part of me felt like they were heroes the other part just terrible victims and someone had to take the blame.

Sadly Nick and Carl were the victims of their own good timekeeping, they used to tell me they loved getting to the games early to take in the atmosphere, getting a prime spot at the front behind the goal. I had bad dreams for nights on end after the crush, imagining myself with them and trying to push them out to safety over those monstrous 9 foot metal fences..

I still don't buy the The Sun to this day after the shocking things I had seen and heard about that the reporters had wrote. I wish I hadn't seen the TV CCTV footage of the pens near the front as I kept thinking I could see them.

I kept loads of newspaper cuttings which are somewhere stored away back at my mums in Oadby (I've lived in London now 13 odd years) as I had to keep them.

Scowy, I've still got the black book with the red writing which was the official eyewitness reports. It makes difficult reading for me I must say as it is very detailed and takes a lot of different peoples view points. Its called "The Day of the Hillsborough Disaster"

Check it here -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...6501671-6545429

Nick and Carls dad was a quiet man and he had the task I would never wish on anyone, to go to Sheffield looking to find out if all your children are still alive.

The helplines were jammed so off he went..

God can only imagine what it must have been like for him to suddenly see both his sons in body bags in the makeshift mortuary. There are parts described in the book later on which were difficult to read, people could have been describing my friends lying there in the mortuary disfigured beyond recognition.

I still have the Jimmy McGovern Hillsborough ITV dramatisation on VHS by the way, well worth a watch. I'd never heard of Christopher Ecclestone before this and I thought he played Trevor Hicks brilliantly. It really hits home. It was weird to see the judge was played by Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor from Star Wars!)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/tv/100/list/prog.php3?id=54

To this day when I think my luck is out, I think back to Nick and Carl and realise things could be a lot worse.

27844[/snapback]

Goodlongfox, a work colleague of mine also knew the two lads from school (this means you may know her), and she has always said exactly the same things about the disaster. I think she stopped watching City at about that time, as she was so upset and shaken by what had happened.

I remember the ITV docudrama, and it was very emotive and thought provoking.

Have you been to the memorial at Anfield?

Whilst I didn't know anybody at the game, it is still harrowing to read the list of names of people who only wanted to do what I do every week; that is watch my team play football.

Lisa,

She might recognise me - although I've aged a bit since my Beauchamp days as you might expect..

http://www.ukscreen.plus.com/imagedir60/tonyb_2.jpg

I've still never been to Liverpool or to the memorial, I will one day. In St Peters Church in Oadby there is a plaque and a tree to remember them by.

Tell your friend if she knew Kristian Bradley from Beauchamp, he was one of my best friends who sadly died from a brain haemorrage 18 months later. His plaque sits alongside Nick and Carls.

Was a very odd time as he was in the same small group of mates as Nick and Carl.

Sometimes it puts things into perspective and that football is only a game after all..

After the crush I couldn't even think about watching a football match for a long long time, but as with all things, eventually with time people get back to their normal way of life.

Cheers

Tony

GLF (Tony)

I'm at work, and our printers are naff, plus we aren't supposed to use the net (naughty me).

She doesn't remember anyone called Tony or Kieran, but then again, that doesn't mean she wouldn't recognise you if she was able to see you! She's called Rachel, by the way.

Thanks Tony for your insight.

It's obviously a very emotive subject for you and I greatly appreciate the fact you've taken time out to let me know of your pesonal experiences regarding Hillsborough.

Its not a problem at all Scowy, its over 15 years ago now and a lot of memories have faded a bit but still remain.

It is sad that a disaster like that has to happen for stadium safety regulations to be changed and my friends are just a statistic in that turning point.

Anything you need you to know about the day of the disaster can be found in that Rogan Taylor book.

At the time I found out about the other major stadium disasters some not so well known but just as tragic.

I still find it shocking the state of affairs with stadium safety in African football there was another fatal crush this year. Perhaps bring that into your essay, the differences between football safety regulations across continents, most of Europe seem to have things controlled whereas the same can't be said for other continents.

Archived