Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lester LXXIV

1970/71 Leicester City squad - This one is for DavieG!

Alan Woollett doesn't often get mentioned. Outstanding man-to-man marker, like a limpet.

Rodney Fern too - all action with an eye for goal.

And Lenny Glover (front row second right) one of the best and most positive wingers we ever had.

Rating alongside Sylla?. Glover 10, Sylla 2. He'd have been a revelation in today's team, Fryatt and Hume would have scored for fun.

Graham Cross (he played cricket for Leicestershire too) was a favourite and next to him centre-back John Sjoberg was a good servant and at the left end of the top row Stevie Whitworth was one of our top full-backs ever and Mike Stringfellow (next to him) something of a legend).

Nishy's in front of Shilts and the picture shows how dramatically times have changed because so many of those players were locals, Shilts, Cross, Nish, Fern, Cross and even Malcolm Manley (I think) - and there was hardly a foreigner to be seen.

Whitworth, Stringy, Partridge, Fern, Shilts, Woollett, Sjoberg, Cross, Manley

Kellard, Farrington, Carlin, Nish, Glover, Brown.

Not 100% of Kellard & Carlin may even have them mixed up. With those hairstyles they all looked the same :)

Funny enough I found that easier than the 80's /90's ones.

Not 100% of Kellard & Carlin may even have them mixed up. With those hairstyles they all looked the same :)

I think Foxile's just put this one in to emphasise how old we are :whistle::whistle:

Carlin little bloke to the left of trophy as you look at it, dark hair, parting. front row! :thumbup:

What do you take me for Thrac?? :whistle:

I just thought i'd supply some fun for the 'more mature' members of this forum thats all! ;)

When water was scarce the groundsman used to lie him out flat oernight to collect so his ears caught enough rain to water the ground. :):)

Some team though. Albert Cheeseborough was another in a long line of wingers who who have just shook their head at Sylla and "Chopper" Chalmers was not so named as competition for Dion Dublin (at least not as far as I know) but for the legendary status he acquired for his customary hospitality towards his invariably highly skillful opponents.

One of the bets around in those days was how long Chalmers opponent remained on the field...(second half didn't count!)

The spirits of the skilled paid him back, I guess, come the Cup Final.

"Chopper" Chalmers was not so named as competition for Dion Dublin but for the legendary status he acquired for his customary hopsitality towards his invariably highly skillful opponents.

One of the bets around in those days was how long Chalmers opponent remained on the field...(second half didn't count!)

The spirits of the skilled paid him back, I guess, come the Cup Final.

One of my workmates is married to Len Chalmers' daughter!

Alan Woollett doesn't often get mentioned. Outstanding man-to-man marker, like a limpet.

Rodney Fern too - all action with an eye for goal.

And Lenny Glover (front row second right) one of the best and most positive wingers we ever had.

Rating alongside Sylla?. Glover 10, Sylla 2. He'd have been a revelation in today's team, Fryatt and Hume would have scored for fun.

Graham Cross (he played cricket for Leicestershire too) was a favourite and next to him centre-back John Sjoberg was a good servant and at the left end of the top row Stevie Whitworth was one of our top full-backs ever and Mike Stringfellow (next to him) something of a legend).

Nishy's in front of Shilts and the picture shows how dramatically times have changed because so many of those players were locals, Shilts, Cross, Nish, Fern, Cross and even Malcolm Manley (I think) - and there was hardly a foreigner to be seen.

Frank Worthington said that the fun went out of it at City for him when Lenny Glover stopped playing for City. :cry::cry::( <_<

As a kid used to watch this lot sitting on the low white wall that ran round the pitch. Any one remember that, you could literally touch the players...tho looking at that lot you wouldn't want to! Good side tho...Lenny Glover on the wiiinnggg!

As a kid used to watch this lot sitting on the low white wall that ran round the pitch. Any one remember that, you could literally touch the players...tho looking at that lot you wouldn't want to! Good side tho...Lenny Glover on the wiiinnggg!

you could also move right around the ground from the Kop to the Filbert St end - who remembers the chants/

Alan woolet, woolet what a bullet bullet

Lenny Lenny Glover Lenny Glover on the wing

tip toe thru the Trent End with a sawn off shotgun - tiptoe thry the Trent End with me!!!!!

And just look at the old west stand , behind the players in that pic. A standing area in front of the seats!

Quality !!!

As I remember it , last game of the season was Portsmouth away, we went there already having secured the title (div 2 champs) after the game , we all invaded the pitch singing , and generally going mad in front of the tv cameras set up at the r send of pompey on scaffolding . (they are still with that set up i believe)

Oh and yes , little Willy Carlin sat to left of the trophy as you view.

Archived