Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

It serves you right for being fancy

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp:

"Lua Lua went off and did his treble back somersault with pike and twisted his ankle. It wasn't the cleverest thing he's ever done.

"But no danger, he will be fit for the weekend. It was a great point - to go behind against Arsenal and come back.

"It's been a big turn around but there's still a lot to do."

Portsmouth Drew 1-1 with Arsenal to help them in their battle against relegation but dented Arsenal's champions league hopes.

Lomana Lua Lua's second-half header gave Portsmouth a valuable point in their Premiership relegation battle.

He nodded home Andres D'Alessandro's free-kick on 66 minutes after Sol Campbell, making his comeback, had fouled the DR Congo striker.

Thierry Henry broke the deadlock on 36 minutes, shoving Sean Davis off the ball and shooting past Dean Kiely after swapping passes with Emmanuel Adebayor.

Arsenal would have won but for two bad misses by striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

The first one came at the end of the first half, when the Togo-born frontman scooped the ball wide after being set up by Henry and Jose Reyes.

Adebayor came up with a miss to rival his first one after the break, heading a cross well wide while unmarked.

But if the young Arsenal striker endured a night to forget, two of his colleagues had happier evenings.

Henry scored a goal which would have been a fitting winner for any game, while Campbell made a reasonable comeback after a long lay-off.

There were times when Campbell looked ill at ease against Lua Lua's searing pace, not least when Kolo Toure had to make a last-gasp saving tackle on the DR Congo man.

But the England defender did manage to keep Benjani Mwaruwari safely shackled all evening, so much so that the Zimbabwean lost his cool and was booked for a very late challenge on Johan Djourou before later being withdrawn.

Benjani also drew blood from above Campbell's right eye before going off, connecting with the defender's face with an elbow.

Campbell also got a bloody nose and was substituted himself, but the big centre-back would have been pleased with his pre-World Cup return to action.

Arsenal, enjoying the opportunity to display their trademark passing game on Fratton Park's relaid pitch, looked almost like the home team on occasion.

For their part, Portsmouth seemed happy to play the role of counter-attackers, especially given they had Lua Lua's pace to utilise.

It was Lua Lua who had the first clear shot of the game, although his seventh-minute effort was a mile high of Jens Lehmann's goal.

Arsenal had an outlet of their own in Henry, who almost capitalised on a long through ball from Reyes on 16 minutes only for Dejan Stefanovic to clear.

Matthew Taylor's clumsy challenge on Freddie Ljungberg might have led to a penalty, but no foul was given and the Swede was booked for complaining to referee Uriah Rennie.

Pompey did have chances, Stefanovich heading wide from a decent position and Pedro Mendes hitting a long shot straight at Lehmann.

But, after Henry had given Arsenal the lead, it was left to Lua Lua to salvage a point for the home side, although he had to be taken off after injuring himself doing his trademark backflips.

glad about that result i think tottenham will represent england far better in europe than arsenal.

they have english players

theres are good

there namedooesnt have arse in it.

:thumbup:

as for lua lua what a twit :smile:

Ahem.

Their, I think you'll find is what you are looking for there. And also I think you'll find you are looking for doesn't there.

:yawn:

But that's Lua Lua

he's eccentric and likes to be stylish, it shows in his football. I hate how commentators are criticial of everything they 'wouldn't do personally' as if they think every player will be perfect every time.

It's like ronaldo with his step-overs, some may say he over does it but that's his game and it works. Lua Luas celebrations are part of his game and i found the commentator really boring and amateurish when he kept going on about how stupid he was... it's not like no one doesn't expect him to do them.

But that's Lua Lua

he's eccentric and likes to be stylish, it shows in his football. I hate how commentators are criticial of everything they 'wouldn't do personally' as if they think every player will be perfect every time.

It's like ronaldo with his step-overs, some may say he over does it but that's his game and it works. Lua Luas celebrations are part of his game and i found the commentator really boring and amateurish when he kept going on about how stupid he was... it's not like no one doesn't expect him to do them.

True, but from Pompey's point of view if he gets injured seriously while celebrating you would be so p****d off. He is, after all, their best player.

True, but from Pompey's point of view if he gets injured seriously while celebrating you would be so p****d off. He is, after all, their best player.

Yes but by changing his celebrations you change him, and im sure some might chuckle at that but the celebration is just as instinctive as him sticking out a leg to poach a goal. He can get told not to do it all he wants but at that second with the adrenaline running he wont be thinking 'what has the manager asked me not to do'? I'd rather have a passionate vibrant Lua Lua playing for me who is flowing with goals than one conscious about upsetting the fans by over celebrating.. otherwise he wont be the best striker.

Did you know he wasn't going to do them again 'til Pompey were assured of premiership status??

Then someone asked him to keep doing them (not sure who) so he did.

Archived