Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Players - an emotional assessment

I've just compiled a list of players and how I feel about them and I came to the conclusion that there are only 5 players at present that do anything for me. Which is pretty disappointing considering that's out of 32. The only saving grace is there are 16 I'm undecided on mostly newcomers and youth players.

The full list:

Players that inspire and excite me:

McCarthy

Hume

Fryatt

Stearman

Wesolowski

Players I’m undecided on:

Kisnorbo

Hughes

Johnson

McAuley

Low

O’Grady

Sheehan

Gerrbrand

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

Players that do nothing for me:

Maybury

Kenton

Henderson

Johansson

Players that leave me cold and disappointed:

Douglas

Williams

Tiatto

DeVRies

Hammond

Sylla

Hamill

Williams deserves better. ;):thumbup:

A very Big wasted talent that I've spent 2 years waiting for some sign that he will come good he hasn't I'm disappointed.

A very Big wasted talent that I've spent 2 years waiting for some sign that he will come good he hasn't I'm disappointed.

i remember early last season; a ball he put through for connelly it was absolutley sublime. and thats what annoys me about him, the fact he can do that, we all know he can so why doesn't he do it more often?

is he in the last year of his contact this year (louise)? if so i bet he'll be fantastic from start to finish! :ph34r:

What's got you all emotional today davieG?

A problem shared is a problem halved.

It's good to talk...

p.s. Henderson will come good this season I reckon.

I was just wondering why I had such mixed feelings about the coming season, I know that for MA's last season I wasn't excited at all with his old and experienced approach, last season I was excited due to the influx of what I hoped would be exciting players, this proved not to be the case. This year after looking at the players I now understand where those feelings of being mixed up come from.

Let's hope RK can do the trick because after two years of purgatory I need something.

Can't say it's halved my problems airing them though :(

We should be excited considering the way we finished last season, but I'm not really either. Kelly had a decent bunch of players to work with then and still has, he just needed to sort out the positions where we were lacking in, but hasn't.

I think considering we struggled to score the whole of last season, you'd think the main objective this summer was to improve that. But that hasn't been the case for whatever reasons. :S

I've just compiled a list of players and how I feel about them and I came to the conclusion that there are only 5 players at present that do anything for me. Which is pretty disappointing considering that's out of 32. The only saving grace is there are 16 I'm undecided on mostly newcomers and youth players.

The full list:

Players that inspire and excite me:

McCarthy

Hume

Fryatt

Stearman

Wesolowski

Players I’m undecided on:

Kisnorbo

Hughes

Johnson

McAuley

Low

O’Grady

Sheehan

Gerrbrand

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

Players that do nothing for me:

Maybury

Kenton

Henderson

Johansson

Players that leave me cold and disappointed:

Douglas

Williams

Tiatto

DeVRies

Hammond

Sylla

Hamill

Slightly different angle.........

Players that can play the game

Maybury

Hughes

Weslowski

Stearman

Fryatt

Gerrbrand

Players that should offer a whole lot more than they do

Hume

Williams

Douglas

Johansson

Kisnorbo

Kenton

de Vries

McCarthey

Sheehan

Players who are lower league

McAuley

Low

Sylla

Johnson

Players that should not be professionals at LCFC

Hamill

Henderson

Hammond

O'Grady

Tiatto

Players I know jack diddly about so it would be unfair to class them

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

It is hard to be completely confident in making assessments particularly of players I've not seen, or seen very little but if it conveys my concerns more clearly the following is my view on the following basis:

A class - valuable player, 6-10 points.

B class - moderate player 3-5 points (should be improved on if possible)

C class - below City's required standard. Should be offloaded. 0-2 points.

I'll take the players in the order you listed DavieG

McCarthy (skipper) A-class. 8 points. Pretty well invaluable and likely to set a stirring example.

Hume A-class 8 points. Consistent danger. Excellent partner to Fryatt. Potential 15+ goals

Fryatt A-class 9 points. Likely top scorer especially if he takes spot kicks.

Stearman A-class 7 points. Hopefully a bit better than that if injury free.

Wesolowski A-class 6 points Potential in abundance but needs TLC this year.

Kisnorbo A-class 9 points Paul Jewell's no fool. Quality defender. Still a little more to come.

Hughes B-class 5 points Not enough goals/assists for an attacker, not strong enough defensively.

Johnson A-class 6 points Based on fans views really. A genuine worker.

McAuley B-class 5 points Nothing yet to prove or suggest he is better than that.

Low B-class 5 Needs to adjust to higher grade but by all accounts inconsistent

O'Grady A-class 6 points Useful player. Needs more opportunity to start scoring.

Sheehan B-class 4 points Good attacking full-back. Potential but lots to prove.

Gerrbrand B-class 5 points Fairly efficient but unexceptional.

Logan B-class 3 points Still learning. Some potential.

Dodds B-class 4 points Consistent scorer for the reserves. Deceptively effective.

Porter B-class 4 points Genuine attacking midfielder. Big year this.

Smedley B-class 3 points Youth international who needs to make headway this year

Chambers A-class 6 points Genuinely natural striker. Should go along way.

Gradel B-class 5 points Natural goalscoring winger. Needs strengthening and fine-tuning

Scott No valid assessment

Lycett No valid assessment.

Maybury B-class 5 points. Just not influential enough as a midfielder.

Kenton B-class 5 points. Inconsistent. Couldn't command regular place at Saints

Henderson B-class 5 points. Okay but not entirely convincing or commanding

Johansson B-class 5 points. Solid defender to a point. Poor distributor and attacker.

Douglas B-class 5 points. Never completely convincing

Williams A-class 6 points. Has the ability if motivated.

Tiatto B-class 4 points. Part-timer last season when demonstrably ineffective.

DeVries A-class 6 points. Reasonable goals ratio and difficult to mark if fit.

Hammond B-class 5 points. Fast and with potential but needs to be clinical as a striker.

Sylla C-class 0 points. No goals, few assists. What's he for

Hamill C-class 2 point. Lightweight and inconsequential.

That is 32 players and out of a potential 320 points they amass 156 points. Less than halfway to a good team and halfway is the best I think we can hope for in the table without further improvement.

I'll doubtless be shot at by the forum but if others rate players more highly then I'll be delighted to be proved wrong because my sincere hope is that everyone does well.

i remember early last season; a ball he put through for connelly it was absolutley sublime. and thats what annoys me about him, the fact he can do that, we all know he can so why doesn't he do it more often?

is he in the last year of his contact this year (louise)? if so i bet he'll be fantastic from start to finish! :ph34r:

Yes :)

Continuing to divert from davieg's point... How about this statistical analysis to assess how effective a player is (taken from just last season), showing who we've been most successful with on the pitch (substitutions taken into account).

Games Won %

Ashley Chambers 100%

James Wesolowski 60.0%

Alan Sheehan 50.0%

Matty Fryatt 47.4%

Paul Henderson 44.4%

Chris O'Grady 41.7%

Nils-Eric Johansson 37.8%

Patrick Kisnorbo 36.6%

Joe Hamill 35.3%

Patrick McCarthy 34.1%

Richard Stearman 30.8%

Momo Sylla 30.0%

Mark de Vries 29.4%

Stephen Hughes/Iain Hume 28.9%

Alan Maybury 28.9%

Gareth Williams 28.6%

Rab Douglas 25.7%

Patrik Gerrbrand 20.0%

Danny Tiatto 19.1%

Elvis Hammond 16.2%

Games Undefeated %

Ashley Chambers 100%

Paul Henderson 77.8%

Alan Sheehan 75.0%

Danny Tiatto 71.4%

Patrick Kisnorbo 65.9%

Nils-Eric Johansson 64.4%

Matty Fryatt/Stephen Hughes/Iain Hume 63.2%

Gareth Williams 62.9%

Patrick McCarthy 61.4%

Patrik Gerrbrand/Momo Sylla/James Wesolowski 60.0%

Joe Hamill 58.8%

Chris O'Grady 58.3%

Alan Maybury 57.8%

Elvis Hammond 56.8%

Richard Stearman 56.4%

Mark de Vries 55.9%

Rab Douglas 54.3%

As it's late I won’t do a huge amount of analysis, just comment that is surprised me how far apart the two 'keepers are on the 'Undefeated' scale and how far down Stearman is and conversely how high up Tiatto is. Obviously some of the percentages are out of proportion because of the small amount of games some players have played, but from the above (with none of the new signings) the most effective team would appear to be:

Henderson

Kisnorbo McCarthy Johansson Sheehan

Sylla Wesolowski Hughes Hamill

Chambers Fryatt

Looks good, hmm? ;):)

To davieg's original point, I'd agree that there is a kind of limbo about the players we have, a select few of whom I like and the rest I'm undecided on or dislike. It should be better than Adams's last season with us, when I liked only a couple of the players, but in a way it also makes it more frustrating as we have half a good side, and half a bad/unknown one - at least when most of the players were bad you expected nothing, now you don’t know what to expect.

Played well after Levein went, seen as thankfully there was a man who could see his ability and actually play him rather than get into arguements with him.

Heres mine;

Players that will give us a chance of promotion

Williams

Hughes

Wesolowski

Stearman

Fryatt

Humey

Kisnorbo

O'Grady

Johanson (maybe)

Players that can (or I think should) offer more

De Vries

Sheehan

Sylla

Players that are simply not good enough

Henderson

Douglas

Players that I am unsure about

McCarthy

Hamill

Hammond

Maybury

Gerrbrand

Players I dont know of at all so I cannot judge

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

New signings therefore cant judge either

McAuley

Low

Kenton

Johnson

Guest Gist

Played well after Levein went, seen as thankfully there was a man who could see his ability and actually play him rather than get into arguements with him.

Heres mine;

Williams

Hughes

Wesolowski

Stearman

Fryatt

Humey

Kisnorbo

O'Grady

Johanson (maybe)

De Vries

Sheehan

Sylla

Henderson

Douglas

McCarthy

Hamill

Hammond

Maybury

Gerrbrand

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

McAuley

Low

Kenton

Johnson

What makes you feel unsure with him?

Heres mine;

Williams

Hughes

Wesolowski

Stearman

Fryatt

Humey

Kisnorbo

O'Grady

Johanson (maybe)

De Vries

Sheehan

Sylla

Henderson

Douglas

McCarthy

Hamill

Hammond

Maybury

Gerrbrand

Logan

Dodds

Porter

Smedley

Chambers

Gradel

Scott

Lycett

McAuley

Low

Kenton

Johnson

O'Grady the key to promotion. :D Lord help us.

I can't believe people are judging players before they have even put on a Leicester shirt - unbelievable.

No ones judging them we just saying how we feel which in genreal has been stated as unsure / need to prove themselves.

In fact I would say that after last year when lots of people prejudged Levein's signing as good the opposite to what you say is true in that we not going to be taken in by previous performances/reviews. Most people with respect to the new signings are quite rightly siting on the fence.

panicky paddy he's known as in my house! although he did get more confident towards the end of the season (when he was available!)

Be careful Paddy is the hero of the youth.

People are so desperate for a new Steve Walsh that he gets special treatment compared to those who are vastly superior both technically and tactically.

What makes you feel unsure with him?

Suspensions and cards. He 'sometimes' looses his head in my opinion, and other times he plays great, so we cant afford for a player who is going to play week in week out for us and get needless suspensions and cards etc.

O'Grady the key to promotion. :D Lord help us.

'One of' the keys to promotion. He looked very good when he came on against Plymouth and he is also young so always improving.

I don't know how anyone can be sure of O'Grady's value. He improved markedly last season but was sparingly used and, from what I saw, simply did the job that was asked of him by Kelly.

That marks him to me as first and foremost a team player and a listener, whereas Tiatto, for example, would wander all over the place when given what appeaared to be a specific role.

So how could one ever judge O'Grady as a first team striker when he never really plays in that role. Tell you what though. I'd would happily have him in my squad, and way ahead of one or two others I could name.

He seems to have qualities I admire. Extraordinary fitness, strength, dedication, reliability and, at least judging by his forward play in the Reserves, good control and not a little skill. In other words, he's an asset and how big an asset we should see this season if he gets a bigger role.

Archived