Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Macclesfield Town Friendly Match Thread

Verdict from The Fox fanzine.

By Steve Kimber.

"City recorded their second pre-season win at Moss Rose last night with an unconvincing display. On the back of last week's 4-1 win at Boston then City can be pleased to have won again but there are concerns.

The aim of pre-season friendlies is not to entertain or thrill or blow the opposition away and just as well really. The main tasks are to give players match practice and try and decide the best way to put together the sum of the parts so that come August 5th, Rob Kelly will send out a well-oiled machine ready for Championship football. So what did we learn at Macclesfield in the searing heat?

Well, the first half taught us nothing at all in a poor contest in which nothing happened apart from Macc being denied a nailed-on penalty and Matt Fryatt looking very out of sorts and lacking form and fitness.

The second half saw the introduction of a procession of players (nineteen used in total) and gave us a good look at Gareth Macauly who looked very solid indeed alongside newly appointed skipper Paddy Macarthy.

City were sharper and probably just about deserved their win courtesy of an 85th minute header flicked in by Elvis Hammond from Chris O'Grady's initial effort. The result is less important than the display and there were signs of hope and causes for concern.

Of all of the departments of the team the defence looks solid and never more so than when Alan Sheehan joined the line up for a very impressive cameo performance.

Up front Hume ran his socks off but Fryatt looked nothing like the player we saw last season. O'Grady looked strong and sharp and Low wasn't on the pitch long enough to have an impact. But the big area for concern is still the midfield.

Andy Johnson ran and ran and chased and tackled and he looks as if he can bring something to the party this season but the rest do not look the part right now.

Williams was his usual languid, laid-back self. Tiatto was disappointing and topped off his match with a glaring miss in front of a yawning net.

Maybury in the wide, right berth looked wrong. It needs Wesolowski to be fit and available to give the midfield the bite that it so clearly lacks.

So all in all the match posed more questions than answers. City's pre-season games continue at Stockport on Friday evening and then Lincoln next Monday."

RK cant carry on playing Maybury at right wing. Yes he hasn't got bad vision, he can put a half decent ball in on occasion, and makes good foward runs when playing at right back but he does none of these things good enough to be a winger, he hasnt the pace or the trickery, and he's too defensive minded ( hardly suprising seeing as thats a big part of his game ) he's got Josh Low, Hughes or even Sylla who could do a better job.

Williams needs to wake up, mind you if he cant be arsed with a league game, I guess a freindly is out of the question unless its against a European all star XI. Tiatto......well :pinch:

Sounds like Fryatt has spent most of June in the Pub. :huh:

I saw Tiattos miss on SSN last night and my word what a miss it was! About 5 yards out and he managed to hit the ball as high as two goal frames. What a player.

Hammonds goal was a case of head tennis in the area that Hammond got the last touch on.

RK cant carry on playing Maybury at right wing. Yes he hasn't got bad vision, he can put a half decent ball in on occasion, and makes good foward runs when playing at right back but he does none of these things good enough to be a winger, he hasnt the pace or the trickery, and he's too defensive minded ( hardly suprising seeing as thats a big part of his game ) he's got Josh Low, Hughes or even Sylla who could do a better job.

Williams needs to wake up, mind you if he cant be arsed with a league game, I guess a freindly is out of the question unless its against a European all star XI. Tiatto......well :pinch:

Sounds like Fryatt has spent most of June in the Pub. :huh:

I can only argue with one word of that - but I won't. :whistle::)

There may have been other factors - O'Grady, Porter, Sheehan were all mentioned as coming on to good effect by individual commentators - but Tiatto, like Maybury and Hughes, always strikes me as one of the favoured few and I just hope that Kelly stays objective and picks out the best team rather than the senior or most comfortable team.

Tiatto will still be regaining match fitness I'd imagine but he seems to be taking a long time to shine and if he cannot shine against the sort of opposition facing him right now then it is hardly likely he'll be better against Luton town et al.

bit arsh

I really hate him. It's like having a girlfriend that you go and visit in various places round the country at vast expense and say you stay with her for two weeks, 13 of those 14 days she's not the best looking girl but you care about her and she makes an effort (mostly) and you think it's worth visiting her. And then on one of the days she turns up looking like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards, runs around in small circles all day without paying any attention to you and attacks passers-by with little reason.

Alright it's not like that at all but I still hate him.

I really hate him. It's like having a girlfriend that you go and visit in various places round the country at vast expense and say you stay with her for two weeks, 13 of those 14 days she's not the best looking girl but you care about her and she makes an effort (mostly) and you think it's worth visiting her. And then on one of the days she turns up looking like she's been dragged through a hedge backwards, runs around in small circles all day without paying any attention to you and attacks passers-by with little reason.

Alright it's not like that at all but I still hate him.

LMFAO giggled for ages

Archived