Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Macclesfield Town Friendly Match Thread

is he playing up front then ??? .. personally id like too see him on one of the flanks he's pacy :) Is Chip-s n Gravy having a good game?

I cannot see why so many people want Elvis on the wing. People always moan that his shooting is terrible so why is his crossing going to be up to standard.

From the OS.

FT: Macclesfield 0-1 Leicester City

Leicester City took their pre-season record to two wins from two when they battled out a 1-0 victory over Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose on Tuesday evening.

Substitute Elvis Hammond grabbed the only goal of the night with just five minutes of the game remaining - his first of the friendly campaign.

Boss Rob Kelly named a strong starting line up for the clash as his side looked to build on their 4-1 victory over Boston last week.

Rab Douglas started the game in goal, with a backline of Richard Stearman, Paddy McCarthy, Darren Kenton and Nils-Eric Johansson playing in front of him.

Alan Maybury, Gareth Williams, Andy Johnson and Danny Tiatto were named across the middle, with Matty Fryatt and Ian Hume taking up the two roles in attack.

City were quickly into their stride and could have taken the lead as early as the third minute of the game. Fryatt played a good ball in to Stearman from the right, but the youngster's shot was well saved by Jonathon Brain in the Macclesfield goal.

The Silkmen came close themselves with 19 minutes on the clock. Carl Regan whipped the ball in from the right, but Marvin Robinson's header was well blocked by Alan Maybury.

The game was stopped on the 30-minute mark to allow the players to take on fluid as the sun continued to beat down.

As the first half came to a close, Macclesfield midfielder Alan Navarro tested Rab Douglas with a snap-shot from distance - but the big Scotsman was up to the task.

The Foxes should have taken the lead at the beginning of the second period, but Tiatto was unable to keep down Matty Fryatt's centre with the goal gaping.

Kelly made three changes on 62 minutes, replacing Johnson, Fryatt and Hume with Stephen Hughes, Chris O'Grady and Hammond.

And O'Grady almost made an instant impact, but his close range shot fell just wide of Brain's right-hand upright.

Stearman tried his luck from range on 74 minutes, but the sting was taken out of the shot by a block and Brain was able to gather.

O'Grady came close again on four minutes later, but his volley from substitute Josh Low's cross fell just over the bar.

The travelling Blue Army thought that Hammond had given City the lead on 84 minutes, but his well struck shot was deflected into the side netting.

But Hammond would make amends two minutes later - heading home from close range following a strong O'Grady flick.

City will now regroup at their Mottram Hall training camp in Cheshire ahead of Friday night's friendly against Stockport County.

City: Douglas, Stearman, McCarthy, Kenton, Johansson, Maybury (Low 76), Johnson (Hughes 62), Williams, Tiatto (Porter 64), Hume (O'Grady 62), Fryatt (Hammond 62).

Subs: Logan, McAuley,, Kisnorbo, Sheehan, Gerrbrand.

Macc starting line up: Brain, Regan, Morley, Swailes, Bullock, Navarro, McNeil, Miles, Robinson, McIntyre, McNulty.

Subs: Heath, Lee, Brightwell, Reid, Hadfield, Teague, Jennings, McDonald, Denning.

Att: 665

Is anyone getting the impression that the O'Grady-Hammond partnership is currently more effective than the Hume-Fryatt partnership. :whistle:

in friendlies, will be different when elvis has the chance to score in the walkers. out of him and Fryatt I know who i'd trust

Is anyone getting the impression that the O'Grady-Hammond partnership is currently more effective than the Hume-Fryatt partnership. :whistle:

Its only been two pretty dull freindlies... but then again by the end of last season it was clear that O'Grady should have been given more of a chance than he was :( , but as i say way too early to really work out which is better, remember Hammond's only scored the one goal (!) and Hume had an ace shot against Boston.

...in 2 pre-season friendlies against League Two sides, just remember that.

...in 2 pre-season friendlies against League Two sides, just remember that.

Aaaaah, the joys of being a Leicester City fan! Even when something good happens there's always some sort of negativity!!!! (Even though in this instance i believe Ricey is right!)

At least we've started to get into a winning mentality.

O grady changed the game I think, his hold up play is excellent and he bought the other players into the game. Looking forward to seeing him next season :)

After the game the players stodd outside the ground and spoke to the fans and signed shirts programmes etc, I thought it was a nice gesture from them.

J Low does a weird thing where it looks like he's tweaking his nipples every minutes and he's aquired the nickname tweaky now lol

O grady changed the game I think, his hold up play is excellent and he bought the other players into the game. Looking forward to seeing him next season :)

After the game the players stodd outside the ground and spoke to the fans and signed shirts programmes etc, I thought it was a nice gesture from them.

J Low does a weird thing where it looks like he's tweaking his nipples every minutes and he's aquired the nickname tweaky now lol

The Northampton fan who came on here to tell us about Josh Low said he pulls his socks up all the time. I wondered at the time what he'd do now he's come to Leicester where we use "sockatyes". It doesn't look like they were in use tonight judging by the photos but maybe he's practicing a new routine for the coming season when "sockatyes" will prevent him pulling his socks up all the time. Probably jsut a nervous twitch or something. I always tweak my collar before bowling when playing cricket. Bit different to nipples I know...

Originally posted by bocadillo on another forum and reproduced without his permission. I thought it was a good read for someone posting at 4.31 am. :o:D:D:thumbup:;)

Source

It's going to be a long, long season if tonight's performance is anything to go by. I can only remember 4 real chances for us - the first one Tiatto lifted over the bar from about 5 yards, O'Grady put one just wide and then volleyed over after good work by Elvis and Low respectively and then just as we though it was going to finish 0-0, Elvis nodded on an O'Grady flick and it went in just under the bat. There were other half-chances and Elvis had a shot which was deflected just wide, but this was League 2 opposition FFS - and they had their chances as well

No site of Henderson tonight with Rab in the green jersey and Conrad Logan on the bench (Monday's OS report didn't even say that Logan was on the trip!) Rab has lost a fair bit of weight over the close-season and seems to be getting off his line a lot more quickly. Hopefully this will lessen the need to make his desperate lunges at opponents' feet. Good game for him - did everything that was required.

This game saw PaddyMc with Kenton and McAuley for a half each. I would reckon that it is going to be the latter who will partner him whilst Kisnorbo is out. Kenton seems to be able to use the ball better when he does win it, but McAuley seems to have the edge over him in strength in the challenge. Stearman and Johansson played their usual games, although I have got to say that Stearman looked a bit bored at times. Particularly in the first half, Stearman and Maybury were regularly swapping roles. Neither Gerrbrand or Sheehan were on long enough to make any real comment on their game.

I was quite worried when I saw Williams and Johnson come out together in midfield for the first time - not really sure whether we have room for two fancy-Dans who can both go absent from time to time. But having seen them, I have got to admit that they seemed to be good for each other and the 'style' of one sparked the 'style' in the other. They seemed keen to make themselves available and were always looking to make an incisive pass. It's unfortunate therefore that the two up-front were really quite quiet for the second game running. After about 10 minutes, I did say to anybody who happened to be listening, "Fryatt has done more in the last 5 minutes than he did in the whole of his 45 at Boston last week". The bloke in front turned round and said that he had been thinking exactly the same thing. Unfortunately Matty must have heard us because he obviously thought he had done enough and rested for the rest of the game. As for Hume, well he did nothing to get the decent-sized City contingent huuuuming his name - I can;t remember anything of any significance from him. It was quite a contrast for the last half hour when O'Grady and Elvis came on and immediately decided to set about them. Elvis seems to have discovered that if he keeps in closer contact with his marker, he can actually stay onside - close contact means keeping a bit of the defenders shirt loosely gripped in the hand ;-) Well deserved his goal - and I can't be the only one to have noted that O'Grady and Elvis have scored three times the goals that Hume and Fryatt have even though they have spent rather less time on the pitch. For two strikers who are normally such live-wires, they really have been subdued in these tow games - and not by the defences either! Let's hope somebody can get them motivated.

Who haven't I mentioned? Tiatto was guilty of that appalling miss - thank goodness it didn't matter in the end. Nice to be able to say that he has kept his cool in both games. Neither have been the non-contact type of friendly and particularly at Boston, the tackles were flying in from time to time - thankfully no reckless ones form the Aussie.

Hughes - I don't know. Not much effect on either game, although I do think he might be preferred to Williams in the initial starting line-up - not that I've seen anything to particularly suggests he deserves it yet.

Maybury was Maybury. No mistakes, but no real inspiration either. Low has shown that he can and will take a man on and get a centre in, but I fancy it will be Maybury who will get the start because of his linking with Stearman - with Low coming on late in the game.

Levi Porter - ain't he little?!? Always bustling about and keeping the ball on the move. Not worried who he takes on. Good first touch and can kill a ball that comes at him from any angle. It will be interesting to see how he develops but he is one of those 'one for the future' players, although I do see him coming from the bench fairly often this season.

I'm going to bed - it's nearly time to get up!

You should always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise they won't come to yours.

That paints a decent picture.

I am not particularly alarmed bout Fryatt/Hume - strikers in residence always have a lot to lose in friendlies by way of injury etc and not too much to gain. They will doubtless peak when it really matters.

But whatever the standard of the opposition we have recorded two away wins for a combinated aggregate of 5-1.

O'Grady is clearly in there challenging to be a first choice team member - I really think he has the strength of character to burst through this season - but I am also delighted that early indications suggest Hammond can be a genuine challenger too.

The clean sheet was welcome too but I am still concerned about how ordinary people like Hughes and Tiatto are in midfield.

Youngsters Porter and Sheehan will have been pleased to have played their small parts in successive victories.

Archived