Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
newms

Team against Luton

With Kisnorbo suspended this is the team I think Kelly will start with

GK Henderson

RB Stearman

LB Johansson

CB McCarthy

CB Kenton (if fit) otherwise McCauley

RW Maybury

LW Tiatto

CM Johnson

CM Williams

ST Fryatt

ST Hume

Subs: McCauley, Douglas, Hughes, Hammond, O'Grady

Same here but I believe he will go with McCauly instead of Kenton and Douglas instead of Hendo.

They are the toughest calls. I just think it would be particularly harsh on Henderson after his form at the end of last season.

Kenton because he played well with McCarthy when he was onloan here and I think that might play on Kelly's mind

Seeing Henderson's got a dislocated finger I would imagine Douglas will play in goal. Otherwise if that's the team and subs it looks totally uninspiring with no balance at all and very little threat. Satefy first I guess. Are you sure Sven didn't pick it!

Just a question: Why pick a player who's been injured like Kenton when there are fit alternatives. I had enough of that last season.

What has Tiatto done to deserve selection. In the Stockport game we struggled until he went on and some attacking players arrived in midfield, like Porter and Williams. Porter was excellent at Stockport, and can genuinely play some clever football.

It is something I've never understood at Leicester. Someone shows a bit of talent - Sheehan's been influential at times too - but the consensus goes for people who have shown sod all.

I honestly would love Tiatto to have shone but he didn't. Hughes and Williams too but they haven't. And what has Maybury done as an attacker? We're not still into jobs for the boys are we.

And how can you leave O'Grady out or Hammond for that matter?

Kelly said he'd been given some nice problems and hinted that every position was up for grabs. We will see if he stands by his word and picks people in form.

I've no idea who I'd pick because there are several friendlies left before the season starts and I'd want to keep an open mind.

But Low doesn't seem to have let off any fireworks and as it stands I would definitely be looking at 4-3-3 with O'Grady included, though I don't suppose Kelly will.

At this stage I would definitely have Porter on the bench at the very least and I would say the same about Sheehan though I am still convinced he's our best left-back if he focuses, concentrates and shows himself to be fully fit.

McAuley gave away a silly back pass for a goal against Stockport so he's hardly been inspiring though it is early days. Johnson will surely play. So there are two midfielders to select and in 4-3-3 away I might be inclined towards Maybury and Hughes but only because Kelly wants Maybury/Stearman linking on the right and Hughes has a good engine which might be important.

So for now:

Douglas

Stearman, McCarthy, Nils, Sheehan;

Maybury, Hughes, Johnson;

Hume, Fryatt, O'Grady.

Subs: McAuley, Tiatto, Porter, Williams, Hammond.

Counting Hughes and McCarthy as half each that gives us six attack minded players which isn't enough but is probably the best we're going to have away.

But as I say its very much provisional. If Porter continues as he is and Hammond does the same I would have to consider fitting them in. Would Hammond fare better than Maybury if Hume or O'Grady played in the "hole" for instance and why not Porter for Hughes if he continues to show he can unlock defences?

With one or both of those two in the side we'd have seven or eight attack-minded players and could really give Luton something to think about.

In the end I would like to think that all our outfield players were potentially dangerous and at the moment they aren't.

But I've said what I think could work but if I had to pick tomorrow based on form so far and to win a match I'd line up:

Douglas;

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Sheehan;

Hammond, Hughes Johnson or Tiatto;

O'Grady

Hume, Fryatt,

Subs: Nils, Gerrbrand, Williams, Tiatto or Johnson, Porter.

Seeing Henderson's got a dislocated finger I would imagine Douglas will play in goal. Otherwise if that's the team and subs it looks totally uninspiring with no balance at all and very little threat. Satefy first I guess. Are you sure Sven didn't pick it!

Just a question: Why pick a player who's been injured like Kenton when there are fit alternatives. I had enough of that last season.

What has Tiatto done to deserve selection. In the Stockport game we struggled until he went on and some attacking players arrived in midfield, like Porter and Williams. Porter was excellent at Stockport, and can genuinely play some clever football.

It is something I've never understood at Leicester. Someone shows a bit of talent - Sheehan's been influential at times too - but the consensus goes for people who have shown sod all.

I honestly would love Tiatto to have shone but he didn't. Hughes and Williams too but they haven't. And what has Maybury done as an attacker? We're not still into jobs for the boys are we.

And how can you leave O'Grady out or Hammond for that matter?

Kelly said he'd been given some nice problems and hinted that every position was up for grabs. We will see if he stands by his word and picks people in form.

I've no idea who I'd pick because there are several friendlies left before the season starts and I'd want to keep an open mind.

But Low doesn't seem to have let off any fireworks and as it stands I would definitely be looking at 4-3-3 with O'Grady included, though I don't suppose Kelly will.

At this stage I would definitely have Porter on the bench at the very least and I would say the same about Sheehan though I am still convinced he's our best left-back if he focuses, concentrates and shows himself to be fully fit.

McAuley gave away a silly back pass for a goal against Stockport so he's hardly been inspiring though it is early days. Johnson will surely play. So there are two midfielders to select and in 4-3-3 away I might be inclined towards Maybury and Hughes but only because Kelly wants Maybury/Stearman linking on the right and Hughes has a good engine which might be important.

So for now:

Douglas

Stearman, McCarthy, Nils, Sheehan;

Maybury, Hughes, Johnson;

Hume, Fryatt, O'Grady.

Subs: McAuley, Tiatto, Porter, Williams, Hammond.

Counting Hughes and McCarthy as half each that gives us six attack minded players which isn't enough but is probably the best we're going to have away.

But as I say its very much provisional. If Porter continues as he is and Hammond does the same I would have to consider fitting them in. Would Hammond fare better than Maybury if Hume or O'Grady played in the "hole" for instance and why not Porter for Hughes if he continues to show he can unlock defences?

With one or both of those two in the side we'd have seven or eight attack-minded players and could really give Luton something to think about.

In the end I would like to think that all our outfield players were potentially dangerous and at the moment they aren't.

But I've said what I think could work but if I had to pick tomorrow based on form so far and to win a match I'd line up:

Douglas;

Stearman, McCarthy, McAuley, Sheehan;

Hammond, Hughes Johnson or Tiatto;

O'Grady

Hume, Fryatt,

Subs: Nils, Gerrbrand, Williams, Tiatto or Johnson, Porter.

I've said this before but I'll say it again, if people say Elvis is no good at shooting why would he be good in midfield where good use of the ball is paramount.

much of that is true, but I just suggested what Kelly would pick not what I would

Who would you pick?. Do you think RK should stick religiously to his 4-4-2 whoever he has to leave out?

Is it too early for the youngsters to start and would a three man attack be less effective than two? Could Hammond play wide effectively in your view?

Who would you pick?. Do you think RK should stick religiously to his 4-4-2 whoever he has to leave out?

Is it too early for the youngsters to start and would a three man attack be less effective than two? Could Hammond play wide effectively in your view?

Many youngsters provide important roles for championship club. Just look how theo walcott threw himself into the picture at southampton??The youngsters rarely seem to get a fair chance at leicester (excluding steaman). We should be looking to involve lewis dodds aswell has he has scored something like 65 goals for the reserves in 3 seasons.

Many youngsters provide important roles for championship club. Just look how theo walcott threw himself into the picture at southampton??The youngsters rarely seem to get a fair chance at leicester (excluding steaman). We should be looking to involve lewis dodds aswell has he has scored something like 65 goals for the reserves in 3 seasons.

I couldn't agree more. :thumbup::thumbup:

Henderson

Stearman - attacking down the right hand side

McCarthy

Kenton (would prefer him to take care of Rowan Vine over McAuley)

Johansson

Johnson & Wesolowski - sitting in front of the defence, Johnson holding and Weso given a bit more licence to go forward and link up with players further up the pitch.

Williams & Hughes - breaking from midfield to join the attack

Hume - pulling out wide left a fair bit to compensate for the lack of left side

Fryatt

Both Kenton and Wesolowski will be fit for the opening game unless they get injured again. Kenton was rested for the game last night and Wesolowski played the last 30 mins.

I think Kelly will use Wesolowski sparingly for the first month of the season and see how it pans out. I'd imagine that Johnson and Williams are first choice at present, but we all know how impressive Jimbo is and aslong as he gradually builds his fitness up then i'd hazard a guess it won't be long before he's first choice.

I'm starting to get a little positive for next season, not expecting promotion or anything but just to be proud of my team would be nice. Cause a few upsets and play some good football if possible, looking forward to some great away adventures this season. Kelly knows how to get wins away from home which Levein didn't so although away games are always a good laugh anyway, if we can win some aswell then it makes it even better.

My team against Luton that I think Kelly will field is:

Douglas :(

Stearman

McCarthy ©

Kenton

Nissa

Maybury

Williams

Johnson

Hughes

Fryatt

Hume

Subs: Tiatto, Wesolowski, McCauley, O'Grady, Low

I've just realised how many first team players he'll have to leave out of the first 16 each game if everyone's fit. (Hammond, Gerrbrand, Kisnorbo/McCauley, Sheehan, Porter, Henderson/Logan, Sylla, de Vries, Hamill).

As you wrote, I'd just been posting the same thing about the player surplus, particularly in midfield.

And sadly it doesn't make me more optimistic. There remain far too many "chosen men" around the squad for my liking, people whose presence will stop the squad developing to be something a bit more special.

It is alright guys like Hammond, O'Grady, Porter, Sheehan, even Wesolowski now he's back, making an impression pre-season and quite another thing getting Kelly to choose them alongside the experienced likes of Johansson, Maybury, Tiatto and Hughes.

I always feel Kelly will go with what is safest. Sven style really. It's the curse of modern coaches.

The other thing which strikes me is that many fans don't watch the reserves so that people like Porter, Dodds and Sheehan are just names that crop up whereas they know all about Hughes, Maybury and Tiatto.

All those three are strong, experienced footballers, fairly steady eddies if you like but do they have enough effect on anything but keeping the goals against down?.

Leicester need goals for to get out of this division, 70 plus. You cannot field three midfielders who don't score goals. Even against ordinary opposition and on the back of four fairly successful pre-season friendlies we've conceded five goals, more than one a game.

Same as last year and same as I predicted a few weeks back. We have to increase the attacking strength of our team.

Occasionally a club can succeed with a brilliant defence. We haven't got that. We haven't even got a good goalkeeper in my view.

I've said this before but I'll say it again, if people say Elvis is no good at shooting why would he be good in midfield where good use of the ball is paramount.

I don't think Hammond is "no good at shooting". Unlike Sylla in that department, his technique is excellent. He connects well and his shooting is extremely powerful. It is his mental approach to shooting which I hope Kelly has improved. The idea of doing only what is required to put the ball in the net or on target, like Thierry Henry or, closer to home, like Louis Dodds.

From what i have seen in the friendlies Hughes has got to play instead of Williams in Midfield.

Has Hughes looked any good this pre-season? I've not heard anything in any reports from him? Just quietly going about his business?

I don't think Hammond is "no good at shooting". Unlike Sylla in that department, his technique is excellent. He connects well and his shooting is extremely powerful. It is his mental approach to shooting which I hope Kelly has improved. The idea of doing only what is required to put the ball in the net or on target, like Thierry Henry or, closer to home, like Louis Dodds.

You must see why people argue with you.

You're effectively comparing Louis Dodds to Thierry Henry and saying Elvis Hammond can shoot.

Hammond and o'grady just give us different options up front, Hammond with his pace would be very useful in the last 20 mins. So I'm happy for Hume and Fryatt to start with Ogrady or Hammond coming off the bench depending on how you want to change the game.

Defense looks fine to me, stearman RB, Kenton LB Mccarthy CB and McCauly CB will probably start against Luton, Kisnorbo should definatly paly once he is no longer suspended. Would like to see Sheeham brought on though as he is about our only natural LB.

Midfield is still my concern, Weso and Johnson would probably be my choice in the centre but that would need creative people in midfield. Tiatto, Mayberry, Johnson and Williams could be quite infeective in my opnion. I'd consider Hughes on the Left Johnson, Weso and Lowe. If williams plays well he will be very useful but that is a massive if.

If Porter is any good give him a run off the bench

Archived