Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Raith Rovers in for CL?

CRAIG LEVEIN was expected to be named Raith Rovers' new manager today on a non-contract basis, allowing him to leave Stark's Park immediately if given a suitable job offer from a more prestigious club.

Edinburgh Evening News

That's an interesting way of trying to snag him as coach - allow him to walk when he's offered a better job.

Good for Craig, but is it terribly sensible for Raith? Well, I suppose there's a chance he'd take the job, get into it and believe he can take Raith forward... you never know.

And it's official!

Craig Levein has been installed as manager of Raith Rovers on a non-contractual basis.

Love the picture they used of him - he looks about 15 years younger than when he left us. lol

FP_C_Levein.jpg

The Original Link (BBC) also now declares his appointment as finalized. ;)

I like the bit at the end of your top link where it says that Leicester's loss is our gain :D

Edinburgh Evening News

That's an interesting way of trying to snag him as coach - allow him to walk when he's offered a better job.

Good for Craig, but is it terribly sensible for Raith? Well, I suppose there's a chance he'd take the job, get into it and believe he can take Raith forward... you never know.

Levein might of stuffed up here, but whenever he's managed in Scotland he's done a reasnoable job.

Levein might of stuffed up here, but whenever he's managed in Scotland he's done a reasnoable job.

Understood.

I was just trying to understand the logic behind a non-contract approach. It's reported that he wanted that to be the case (allowing him to walk) - he obviously views this as his stepping stone back into proper management. I'm sorta surprised a club would buy into that - but I guess even a short term solution would be useful for them. Someone to come in, shake things up a little, and put the club pointing in the right direction.

I guess CL's going to be laying plenty of foundations - foundations for Raith to progress, and foundations on which he can rebuild his own managerial career.

So I guess this appointment makes a fair bit of sense for both parties.

Understood.

I was just trying to understand the logic behind a non-contract approach. It's reported that he wanted that to be the case (allowing him to walk) - he obviously views this as his stepping stone back into proper management. I'm sorta surprised a club would buy into that - but I guess even a short term solution would be useful for them. Someone to come in, shake things up a little, and put the club pointing in the right direction.

I guess CL's going to be laying plenty of foundations - foundations for Raith to progress, and foundations on which he can rebuild his own managerial career.

So I guess this appointment makes a fair bit of sense for both parties.

I agree, Raith have been going rapidly downhill in the last few years with Claude Anelka and Gordon Dalziel struggling to turn the club around and CL can do no wrong even if he fails to get the club into the Play offs this season.

He should do well at Starks Park and then get a bottom six SPL club like Dunfermline or something but just imagine if he was crap at Raith - he'd be stuck with them and would have to try and get a contract off of them! :D

source

Restructuring work for Levein New Raith Rovers boss Craig Levein is to be given funds to bring in new players as the club strives to secure a play-off place.

Although the transfer window is now closed, the 41-year-old Fifer confirmed yesterday he expects a level of investment significant enough to allow him to complete a loan deal between now and January. And he and the club will be looking to bring more players to Stark’s Park on a more permanent basis early next year, while also making changes off the park.

Although Levein is working with the Kirkcaldy club on a non-contract basis, news of fresh investment—rumoured to be courtesy of a local businessman—will surely be music to the ears of fans who have watched their team struggle since the start of the season.

Former manager Gordon Dalziel, who parted company with Rovers on Friday, was constrained by a shoestring budget and forced to rely on a number of players stepping up from youth level.

Raith have picked up just five league points since the start of this season’s campaign and were knocked out of the CIS Insurance Cup and the Challenge Cup at the first hurdle, leading to frustration in certain quarters.

That has not deterred Levein, however, and he is determined to transform the club’s fortunes as quickly as possible.

Of his decision to take the helm, he said, “The offer came out of the blue.

“I got a call on Friday evening asking if I was interested, and at first I wasn’t, really.

“We spoke again on Saturday and the job was explained to me in a bit more detail. Rather than just a manager’s job, the directors wanted me to help with restructuring the club so they could move forward and that appealed to me.

“On that basis, I agreed to take the job on a non- contract basis.”

Levein, jobless since being sacked by Leicester in January, admitted his time with Raith could be short, but added, “It’s important I try as quickly as possible to help the directors with how they want the club to move forward.

“I’m already having a look at how the club is structured and if there are things we can do better.”

One of his aims is to fully integrate the youth development operation with the senior side and he has already received the board’s backing on that.

The former Hearts and Leicester City boss trained with the Kirkcaldy club on Tuesday night and has been studying videos of past performances to see what improvements can be made on the field.

He was also at Stark’s Park for the match against Cowdenbeath as a guest of Beath chairman Gordon MacDougall.

“I was a boyhood supporter of Raith Rovers so it was an interesting game for me to take in,” he said. “I know some of the players anyway so they’re not complete strangers.”

The board hope Levein’s appointment will help steer the second division club towards promotion, something he did with Cowdenbeath in the 2000/01 season before taking over as manager of Hearts.

He continued his success by guiding t

Would CL expect double pay for solving two clubs' problems at once? :):):)

Make that three clubs:-

Former Leicester boss Craig Levein has been tipped for a return to football management with Cowdenbeath. (Daily Record)

Source

May be he has cloned himself to ensure a future in football in one form or another :blink:

Is he about to make history as the man who remained as manager for the shortest period of time? :P

That honour went to someone else at Raith, Tommy McLean was manager there for about a week then left for Dundee Utd.

I was reading a two page spread today in the Scottish Sun which contained an interview with Levein about his appointment at Raith and he said he hoped to be managing back in England in the long term as that where the real tests are! :unsure:

He also said he felt he did a good job at Leicester! :rolleyes:

Will try and find a link to let everyone see this hilarity! :D

That honour went to someone else at Raith, Tommy McLean was manager there for about a week then left for Dundee Utd.

I was reading a two page spread today in the Scottish Sun which contained an interview with Levein about his appointment at Raith and he said he hoped to be managing back in England in the long term as that where the real tests are! :unsure:

He also said he felt he did a good job at Leicester! :rolleyes:

Will try and find a link to let everyone see this hilarity! :D

He did do a good job in one particular aspect - the type of squad we have, and the financial aspect of the squad.

He slashed the wage bill and gave us a young team to build from.

Unfortunately he was a cack tactician and poor motivator, so his tenure is generall viewed as a complete failure.

He was on the right lines - he just didn't execute. ;)

He did do a good job in one particular aspect - the type of squad we have, and the financial aspect of the squad.

Unfortunately he was a cack tactician and poor motivator, so his tenure is generall viewed as a complete failure.

Yeah, spot on. That would have fixed em when they had a bad game!!! :whistle::):):):thumbup:

Sounds like the sort of job a director of football might be asked to do...

Not the manager...

Sounds like the sort of job a director of football might be asked to do...

Not the manager...

Essentially, you're probably right.

However, CL didn't like the idea of having a DoF (neither do I, that's one salary we should avoid) so he was tasked with that side of the job, too.

Archived