Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The People's Hero

Dylan - Modern Times

Anyone got this? If so - any thoughts?

I've heard that a lot of it is extremely heavily influenced by past generations of American folk/blues artists ie 'copied' music with new lyrics etc.. Having said that, I really did enjoy Good As I Been to You - Dylan's take on traditional songs.

Have ordered it and will pick it up from HMV this evening... looking forwards to it and just wish I had a CD player in my car!

Everyone should love Bob Dylan. I don't associate with people that don't. (Fact, btw.)

I saw the Modern Times poster on the tube today though (or maybe the train from, Wycombe?) and scratched my chin most ponderously. I'll probably wait for the verdict of braver Dylan fans I know before taking the leap of faith. One of my favourite Dylan songs is a very recent one (Things Have Changed) so I'm quietly confident, but not ready to take the step!

I've listened to it three or four times now and it's all starting to fall in to place and work as an album for me. My Dad loves Dylan and when speaking to him about it, he said he was unsure of it at first, which is bizarre as he usually loves them from the start.

Love and Theft took a while with me.. but that turned out to be one of my favourite Dylan albums. This is a bit bluesier in places, which I like, but I don't think it's quite as 'instant' or 'accessible' as previous albums.

And you're right - 'Things Have Changed' is a fantastic song. I think it's really suited to Dylan's voice too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a great album, I think it will be an Emmy winner just as "Time Out of Mind"was. He'll be on tour but not here.......shame. I saw him some years ago on the same billing as Paul Simon. I never thought I would get to see this amazing person but I did.

Archived