Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Free Tickets, good, bad an insult to the paying fan?

OK so we know a lot of free tickets were given out for the CP game and that most fair minded people wouldn't mind this in principal provided it was a limited amount and handled in a sensitive way.

Apparently these free tickets were obtainable through the distribution of vouchers which you had to take to the ticket office and exchange for a match ticket and it would appear they've been handed out in their thousands with a total disregard to the paying fan.

Consequently I'm hearing some pretty horrendous stories of mass distribution, insensitive and blatant gloating and ticket touting etc.

• People on websites bragging that they have 4 tickets.

• Snotty nosed kids touting tickets before the game when you’ve already got tickets that you’ve paid for - now that's a sure way to piss off the paying fan is to have some

• Long queues before the match waiting to buy a ticket with your £20 in your hand surrounded by people who’ve never been to game before flashing these vouchers around. How bloody annoying is that?

I stress this is what I’ve heard true or not!

Anyone else have examples or definite reports of this scandalous situation?

These situations are happening all the time.

Walk into a McDonalds and you spend £3.50 on a meal and someone has a free voucher for the same thing.

Walk into a cinema and pay a £5, then see someone with two free tickets.

A few years ago I got some free tickets to a Man Utd game at Filbo through my school.

From PERSONAL EXPERIENCE things like this do work. My two brothers rarely have enough money to go and only manage about 6 games a season. But they have just bought tickets for 3 consectutive games (palace, Villa and Stoke). Purely because of the 2 for £25 and the cheap villa tickets.

Out of the people who do this offer, they are more likely to see a decent game out of the two which could encourage them to attend.

The club don't hand out tickets everygame in the masses so I don't really see a problem.

Free/Cheap ticekts work IMO, I used to only go to cheap games (unless my dad paid for me :P ) but now im a S/T holder so it must have worked in some sort of way. :)

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. The point of these jolly wheezes is to get bums on seats to see the game. Hopefully if they enjoy what they see they will come back again - at full price. The only problem is that if they've just watched a crap game then they won't bother.

I wouldn't have thought that the conversion rate to a season ticket holder is all that high though, especially at the moment.

the whole 2 for £25 thing is a really good idea i think gets people into the ground for one!

yeh they make no money giving tickets away but i think in the long run giving a few away will actually have its benefits with the fact people will see the ground full see the team do well and then come back! am i being slighty optimistic there??

I can understand season ticket holders getting irate with all the buckshee tickets being handed out but if it means extra bums on seats in the future it can only be a good thing in the long run.

The club is trying to market itself and with almost 10000 empty seats every home game then what better way to market the club then hand out tickets and promote ticket offers.

Your always going to get fools who abuse it but if the club benefits in the long run then so be it.

I can understand season ticket holders getting irate with all the buckshee tickets being handed out but if it means extra bums on seats in the future it can only be a good thing in the long run.

The club is trying to market itself and with almost 10000 empty seats every home game then what better way to market the club then hand out tickets and promote ticket offers.

Your always going to get fools who abuse it but if the club benefits in the long run then so be it.

Right on.

S/t Holders will always get the best deal anyway.

I am perfectly happy for the club to try to rope in larger crowds if that will spur the team on to greater efforts. I don't care if someone else gets in free...it's if they got in free every damn week then that would start to piss me off.

Not to mention money that comes in around the actual match

3) Food/drink

The club do not gain any benefit if all the pasties or no pasties were sold...it's a concession.

I may be wrong but I think you are all missing the point. As I stated I have nothing against free tickets in principal and I'm more than happy if they are distributed through local schools.

However, this doesn't appear to have been done in a controlled way, it would seem that some people have been given more tickets than they need and are abusing the system.

I get the impression they've been chucking them around like confetti for this particular match and that is what I'm pissed off about.

When you end up with a situation where someone is making money out of it them, then it has been seriously mishandled.

As a ST holder (x2) I am not bothered in the least by these freebies, I'd much rather the ground was full, in fact I occasional have a spare ticket and I've often let it go for free and never accepted more than £10 for it, but abuse is abuse and this is a classis example. If the club can't be seen to manage this sort deal what sort of mess is it making of the real financial wheelings & dealings.

Oh well I guess whats done is done and moaning about is like pissing in the wind you get some relief but end up with most of the piss on yourself.

Not to mention money that comes in around the actual match

1) Programmes

2) Anything from the shop

3) Food/drink

More of these are bound to be sold if there are more people at the games and that can only be a good thing.

Please can we stop this once and for all.

1. VERY VERY VERY few people buy programmes

2. Don't really see why casual fans would suddenly buy a shirt or other merchandise

3. The club recieve NOTHING or a very very small amount of money as the food and drink is contracted out

I may be wrong but I think you are all missing the point. As I stated I have nothing against free tickets in principal and I'm more than happy if they are distributed through local schools.

However, this doesn't appear to have been done in a controlled way, it would seem that some people have been given more tickets than they need and are abusing the system.

I get the impression they've been chucking them around like confetti for this particular match and that is what I'm pissed off about.

When you end up with a situation where someone is making money out of it them, then it has been seriously mishandled.

As a ST holder (x2) I am not bothered in the least by these freebies, I'd much rather the ground was full, in fact I occasional have a spare ticket and I've often let it go for free and never accepted more than £10 for it, but abuse is abuse and this is a classis example. If the club can't be seen to manage this sort deal what sort of mess is it making of the real financial wheelings & dealings.

Oh well I guess whats done is done and moaning about is like pissing in the wind you get some relief but end up with most of the piss on yourself.

If I were a ST holder (one day, maybe I will be!) I'd be pretty cheesed off if they'd handed out so many freebies to so many people - half of whom would rather not be there anyway (judging by some of the comments about these new-found 'fans' in other topics).

Hand some tickets to kids with good grades and attendance in schools. University students who would normally not go in a bid to save money (again for those doing well). People who do work in the community, perhpas? A few select groups of people - not every man, his dog and their touting friend. :whistle:

When the free tickets are supposedly being touted around, you know something went wrong.

Big attendances are nice, but not worth the risk of alienating long-time ST holders. ;)

If I were a ST holder (one day, maybe I will be!) I'd be pretty cheesed off if they'd handed out so many freebies to so many people - half of whom would rather not be there anyway (judging by some of the comments about these new-found 'fans' in other topics).

Hand some tickets to kids with good grades and attendance in schools. University students who would normally not go in a bid to save money (again for those doing well). People who do work in the community, perhpas? A few select groups of people - not every man, his dog and their touting friend. :whistle:

When the free tickets are supposedly being touted around, you know something went wrong.

Big attendances are nice, but not worth the risk of alienating long-time ST holders. ;)

When you hear of people being stopped in the street in Coalville, Corby, Loughboro', et al and being offered what appears to be any number of tickets they want then you are asking for trouble.

The club do not gain any benefit if all the pasties or no pasties were sold...it's a concession.
3. The club recieve NOTHING or a very very small amount of money as the food and drink is contracted out
:banghead:

How many more times?

I'm a long-time season ticket holder and I wasn't alienated at all.

Why shouldn't we welcome the extra company? Any move which brings more people to watch the FOXES, and improves the atmosphere, can only be of lasting benefit to us.

I'm a long-time season ticket holder and I wasn't alienated at all.

Why shouldn't we welcome the extra company? Any move which brings more people to watch the FOXES, and improves the atmosphere, can only be of lasting benefit to us.

You wouldn't feel at all alienated by floods of non-fans filling the stadium for free, when they have absolutely no interest in the game at all? Especially if the free tickets are going to be abused in this fashion.

Do you not agree the free tickets would serve a greater purpose if they were targeted at certain people, rather than at the entire county?

If you don't feel alienated at all, that's great, I'm not going to say you're wrong - I'm in no position to make such bold claims. But if it were me, I think firing free tickets into the community like using a fire hose to fill a tea cup wouldn't sit too well with me. Only if it was to become a regular occurrance, I must stress. A few isolated cases wouldn't be a problem.

If it was to become a regular ocurrance, though, I wouldn't mind if the free's were aimed at more appropriate targets (young fans - kids at school, university/college students, etc).

If it was to become a regular ocurrance, though, I wouldn't mind if the free's were aimed at more appropriate targets (young fans - kids at school, university/college students, etc).

But from what I saw in F1 and on the bus into town afterwards, those groups were the ones using the free tickets.

A group of students sat in front of me seemed amused by the rituals that we more regular attenders take for granted, such as the abusing of opposing goalkeepers. Some of them even joined in!

However, whether they enjoyed the experience enough to want to repeat it, remains to be seen.

My own reaction was that to get 28,000 people watching two middle-of-the-road teams was an achievement and deserved some praise.

Equally important it wasn't as bad a game to watch as when we've promoted similar such exercises so, hopefully, there's a chance that a few might get hooked into becoming permanent fans.

It was far better than seeing banks of empty spaces. I don't think season ticket holders have been badly treated this season and am sure that they'll get a few more perks yet before the season is out.

We need new fans so I'm not going to knock anyone for trying their best to get us some.

Everyone seems to be commenting on the effect on ST holders - that wasn't the point of the topic. It was the fact that so many free tickets had been given out in what appears to be a random way that they have ended up in the hands of people selling them in pubs and outside the ground for a £5 each.

Surely no one can condone that or what led to it?

Therefore something somehow was mismanaged for that to happen. That is my gripe - it's nothing to do with being a ST holder or free tickets per say.

In fact if I'd have had to pay £20 to get in and found people offering me vouchers for a £5 I'd be even more pissed off.

Archived