Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

MISSING: A Midfield.

I knew RK would do it ... try to put square pegs in round holes so he could get his favoured players in, do enough to score one and hope that enabled us to pinch something.

It did, but not much, and we didn't impress apart from the first 20 minutes because we hedged our bets again and became overbalanced defensively - we always do away from home.

There was no creativity because strength and stamina and tackling and covering is what we go for and that's what makes us hard to beat.

Bill Anderson might speak for the club when he said in the QPR programme notes that realistically "any talk of the play-offs is a bit far fetched."

He'll probably be proved right, which makes me sick, but if people in charge didn't encourage that view with our approach then perhaps that idea of top six wouldn't be so daft.

Stearman on the right wing? What a waste. Tiatto/Stearman and Weso - too many destroyers and not enough craftsmen... Kenton at right back and Nils at left back equals no serious attacking support at all. Put that together and its a recipe for having insufficient creative support and that is our Achilles heel.

Welsh on the wing means possession lost two easily and no clever little through balls or nifty one-twos.

Kelly sure knows what makes us hard to beat: strength, determination, stamina, fast covering skills.

But where's the clever, accurate passers, the running off the ball, the deft flicks and one-two's?

We have good strikers in some ways, but we don't half waste em and we don't do nearly enough to play to their strengths.

We need Porter back, for sure. We also need an alternative system to 4-4-2 for at least part of some games and we need a proper, not a contrived, right winger...or Hammond in a 4-3-3.

We might have added to our run of unbeaten games but we are falling further and further off the pace at the top end of the table. Five draws in 10 games is the same affliction which mocked Levein. We cannot hold out for 1-0's. We almost always concede one.

So we have to create more. Simple.

I might be mildly less determined to get answers, here, if a certain attacking midfielder in the accademy wasn't from a certain Celtic nation. :thumbup:

This wouldn't be the same "Celtic nation" that produced those stunning successes Andy Johnson and Josh Low, would it? :devil::devil::devil:

I knew RK would do it ... try to put square pegs in round holes so he could get his favoured players in, do enough to score one and hope that enabled us to pinch something.

It did, but not much, and we didn't impress apart from the first 20 minutes because we hedged our bets again and became overbalanced defensively - we always do away from home.

There was no creativity because strength and stamina and tackling and covering is what we go for and that's what makes us hard to beat.

Bill Anderson might speak for the club when he said in the QPR programme notes that realistically "any talk of the play-offs is a bit far fetched."

He'll probably be proved right, which makes me sick, but if people in charge didn't encourage that view with our approach then perhaps that idea of top six wouldn't be so daft.

Stearman on the right wing? What a waste. Tiatto/Stearman and Weso - too many destroyers and not enough craftsmen... Kenton at right back and Nils at left back equals no serious attacking support at all. Put that together and its a recipe for having insufficient creative support and that is our Achilles heel.

Welsh on the wing means possession lost two easily and no clever little through balls or nifty one-twos.

Kelly sure knows what makes us hard to beat: strength, determination, stamina, fast covering skills.

But where's the clever, accurate passers, the running off the ball, the deft flicks and one-two's?

We have good strikers in some ways, but we don't half waste em and we don't do nearly enough to play to their strengths.

We need Porter back, for sure. We also need an alternative system to 4-4-2 for at least part of some games and we need a proper, not a contrived, right winger...or Hammond in a 4-3-3.

We might have added to our run of unbeaten games but we are falling further and further off the pace at the top end of the table. Five draws in 10 games is the same affliction which mocked Levein. We cannot hold out for 1-0's. We almost always concede one.

So we have to create more. Simple.

In other circumstances I'd be inclined to agree with you.

But we've just had a run of FIVE games in the last 14 days, with two more to follow in the next 7.

Much as we might have wished it, we were never going to maintain the tempo at which we played for over two hours against Villa.

We needed to keep possession and slow the game down. But we weren't able to do this, partly because QPR closed us down too much and partly because we had very few attacking players capable of retaining the ball. How many times did the likes of Kisnorbo or Johansson make a clearance, only to see the ball come straight back?

But this is a young, developing side who will hopefully learn from their mistakes. When more creative players such as Williams or Porter return it will look better balanced and pose more of a threat to opposing defences.

Much as we might have wished it, we were never going to maintain the tempo at which we played for over two hours against Villa.

But this is a young, developing side who will hopefully learn from their mistakes

Have to agree with you on both counts. The Villa game took an awful lot out of the players, and it was always going to be a big ask to have them repeat it again today, so no surprises for the subdued performance.

It seems as though Kelly agrees with the second point you make as well. He feels that this is still a young side and will only get better with time and the more games they play. You'd have to say it was true as well. But we're going to have to keep one of either Hughes or Williams fit at all times incase the other breaks down. We badly need a creative central midfielder, and my understanding is that these are our only two without dipping into the pool of youngsters.

Not as a creative unit. They did very well "all things considered" but they weren't creative, inspirational, positive thinking dynamos. Not at all. Anyone who honestly believes Stearman is a visionary, midfield playmaker clearly has their head so far up his backside they didn't really have a good view of the action.

how the heck does anyone intend to get the message to kelly so....these people wont listen...they think they know it all and fans are just angry blustering fools

I understand what you're saying and I too know we need to fill in for the injured lads atm. I wouldn't exactly class Johnson as a creative midfield player, so one would have to ask how long it is that Hughes and/or Williams is/are going to be out for?? Can Levi Porter play in central midfield? He's already had first team experience, can run at players and apparently has a creative side to him. Would he be a better alternative to bringing in somebody completely untried?

If you want an answer to that Levi is a smashing creative central midfielder but I'm not sure about he and Weso in midfield barely making a six-foot man between them. :D

Andy King is tall, the best part of six feet and his great strength is ghosting in the box behind runners like Hammond. Times I looked up yesterday and saw Hammond or Hume going to support someone (Weslh usually) and leaving space behind which meant there was no chance of a goal should a cross have come cos there was no-one launching themselves forwards.

That really is King's speciality. He's a decenmt header of the ball, has good tight control, can weight his passes but his strong point is his Dvid Platt-like quality of getting late into the box and being able to finish.

Porter could play a fulcrum midfield role, no question, but for now, til he's fully integrated I prefer him out wide where he retains possession, can thread a pass and always offers the get out ball to defenders, midfielders or attackers.

Welsh is our second best winger, if Gradel's not going to be used, so the logic is to use them on either flank and have them swop over from time to time.

So it's Porter, Wesolowski, King, Gradel?

No, not yet. For now I'd go Porter, King, Stearman/Weso, Welsh. Tiatto would slot in as a potential replacement.

If Stearman stayed in midfield rather than right back, I'd have Maybury at right back and Porter, King, Stearman. Welsh/Tiatto.

I would only introduce Gradel from the bench for now. The wingers would change flanks.

Why Maybury at right back as second choice? Because he's a better footballer than Kenton. Better able to support upfield.

In some types of team Kenton might serve best but in the pass-and-move side I want, he's just not got the versatility and accuracy.

It's another reason I like McAuley. Apart from his defensive strengths he plays the ball out of defence.

Even Nils is trying to do it now - what a bonus that is.

With the team as outlined we would have six potential scorers (I have to count Stearman and Kisnorbo) and

five potential creators. We'd be reasonably balanced.

On top of that I'd develop a 4-3-3 or even 3-4-3 alternative because we need a plan B.

I can't remember the last time Maybury left his own half when playing RB. He also allows the opposition winger to get crosses in FAR too easily.

Not yesterday he didn't. The QPR winger rained crosses in first half while Kenton spent most of his time trying to keep his feet and failing. And don't say Kenton normally goes forward cos he doesn't and the only time I really remember him doing so (Southend I think) his resulting crosses were dire.

You do however touch on the reason I much prefer Stearman there but I've felt it worthwhile seeing how good he is in midfield because he seems to have all the agression of Tiatto with a bit more skill, stamina and lasting power.

how RK can play two right backs in midfield is beyond me, weso, tiatto and stearman were all very poor yesterday.

mayberry tiatto, stearman and Welsh - what a complete joke of a midfield. When hume or hammond went out wide we had nobody else in the box supporting our strikers. Seriously we must be one of the easiest teams to defend against, no one supports the attackers and not one of our midfileders was capable of anything close to defense splitting pass.

Welsh was a complete lightweight yesterday i can't remember him putting in a single decent cross.

As far as i'm concerned we deserved to lose and weere lucky to get a point,

You do however touch on the reason I much prefer Stearman there but I've felt it worthwhile seeing how good he is in midfield because he seems to have all the agression of Tiatto with a bit more skill, stamina and lasting power.

stearman was dreadful in the middle yesterday just like everyone else, i didn't see any skill agression or stamina yesterday

stearman was dreadful in the middle yesterday just like everyone else, i didn't see any skill agression or stamina yesterday

Well you must have blinked at least 3 times to miss the 3 legally crunching, ball winning sliding takles he put in during the second half.

how RK can play two right backs in midfield is beyond me, weso, tiatto and stearman were all very poor yesterday.

mayberry tiatto, stearman and Welsh - what a complete joke of a midfield. When hume or hammond went out wide we had nobody else in the box supporting our strikers. Seriously we must be one of the easiest teams to defend against, no one supports the attackers and not one of our midfileders was capable of anything close to defense splitting pass.

Welsh was a complete lightweight yesterday i can't remember him putting in a single decent cross.

As far as i'm concerned we deserved to lose and weere lucky to get a point,

Only Kelly can explain that. It's only a version of what he did before on the right and it had all the same predicatable limitations.

If Stearman stayed in midfield rather than right back, I'd have Maybury at right back and Porter, King, Stearman. Welsh/Tiatto.

I would only introduce Gradel from the bench for now. The wingers would change flanks.

Why Maybury at right back as second choice? Because he's a better footballer than Kenton. Better able to support upfield.

It's another reason I like McAuley. Apart from his defensive strengths he plays the ball out of defence.

Even Nils is trying to do it now - what a bonus that is.

With the team as outlined we would have six potential scorers (I have to count Stearman and Kisnorbo) and

five potential creators. We'd be reasonably balanced.

On top of that I'd develop a 4-3-3 or even 3-4-3 alternative because we need a plan B.

So you'd leave out Weso and play Stearman and King in the middle of the park Thrac?

Other than that I have no problems with anything else you're saying. It all seems to make sense and would be nice to see happening.

I don't know what has happened to Nils just recently, but he has started to look like the player he claims to be. Remarkable change in performance levels, long may it continue :D

I'd say we definitely need a plan B for when we run out of ideas in 4-4-2, something that'll make the opposition have to reshuffle in order to cope with the new problems we'd give them, and something which would hopefully throw them off of their game 'cos they're not used to City playing anything but 4-4-2.

I agree with what you are saying about the midfield but QPR deserved a point we were poor from when we scored till they scored and they had numerous chances but Kissnorbo was excellent at getting the crosses out.

Any manager facing us that does his homework should be able to find a way past our defence anyway.

So that's my question asnwered. King is the answer! ;)

No, but seriously, Thracian. Besides being tall, what are his physical qualities like? Does he look like an adult athlete? In all honesty, that's the question I really want answered. Weso and Porter are frankly lightweight, even Stearman's a little gangly - then in contrast you look at O'Grady and you think, yeah, he looks strong and powerful. I don't expect King to be quite COG in build, but could he stand up to the physiciality of the Championship? Or another one who just needs "a bit more time"?

So that's my question asnwered. King is the answer! ;)

No, but seriously, Thracian. Besides being tall, what are his physical qualities like? Does he look like an adult athlete? In all honesty, that's the question I really want answered. Weso and Porter are frankly lightweight, even Stearman's a little gangly - then in contrast you look at O'Grady and you think, yeah, he looks strong and powerful. I don't expect King to be quite COG in build, but could he stand up to the physiciality of the Championship? Or another one who just needs "a bit more time"?

I'd have major concerns over his pace. As in, he's fairly slow. Plus of course he'll be acclaimed as the missing link between mid-table mediocrity and all-conquering glory between now and his first appearance for us so he'll have a bit of hype to live up to.

I disagree. It's only this forum, really. I don't think we always represent the views of a majority of the Leicester fanbase. :D

As for his pace, I've not seen him play but I was under the impression he was fairly nippy? Quite active?

I think once we have a few back to full fitness our major issue is the flanks, not what's in the middle. Williams did look good by all accounts before picking up his injury, Weso likewise has been getting better. Johnson hasn't been all bad but wouldn't make my XI. Less said about Hughes, the better.

None of Porter, Welsh or Sylla have impressed me but I'd give Sylla a run in the side. I'm beginning to think perhaps we do have to play narrow however. What is the point in playing two wingers who are going to swing the ball in if we have Hammond/Hume up front. We should be playing through balls... no?

I disagree. It's only this forum, really. I don't think we always represent the views of a majority of the Leicester fanbase. :D

As for his pace, I've not seen him play but I was under the impression he was fairly nippy? Quite active?

Nah he's quite slow really. If he was nippy to go with his height and technique Chelsea would have kept him. Actually if I had to compare him to anyone pace-wise it would be Stephen Hughes. Hasn't got that burst of acceleration to get past players which might be a concern at Championship level. Having said all that, I've only seen him once so you'll have to wait for Thracian to post to get a rounded view of him............... :D

I would have thought Odhiambo's performance against Villa demonstrated the gulf in class between first-team matches and academy matches, but we'll see.

In all fairness to Odhiambo, I think it was a pretty poor game to measure his prowess on. He got very, very little service in fairness.

And to be harsh, such is life as a Leicester City striker.

I think the midfield is improving. Once we have a decent selection of fully-fit players to choose from, we'll be okay. There is real talent there, it's just a case of a couple of the younger players proving it on a consistent basis and a couple of the senior pros earning their wages. My bet would be that those four are Tiatto, Wesolowski, Williams and Porter. My only worry is that performances like yesterdays will lead to Johnson coming straight back in when fit.

Alternatively, Mandaric could buy us in the very near future and take one look at our cloggers and decide to bankroll a couple of Serbian midfield generals. :D

Archived