Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

MISSING: A Midfield.

Seriously. Normally, I'm not up for Thracian's quasi-paedomania, but there's got to be a competitive seventeen / eighteen year old (King? Tejan-Sie? How old are these lads?) that can do a better job than an out of place defender and an old Aussie wing back that clearly doesn't want to be a central midfielder?

For the second consecutive game we showed no idea, no imagination and no penetration from the middle today. On top of that, we didn't even have any wide threat. Welsh did fook all, I can't remember him distributing a single cross following a single decent run. Diabolical.

In Hume and Fryatt we have the attacking elements to finish and score goals, with any form of creativity we'd have taken 3 points today against a god AWFUL QPR. If Hughes / Williams (whether you like them or not, at least they're suited to the position) are to be out much longer, bring in the kiddies. Because they can't be any fooking worse than that.

Seriously. Normally, I'm not up for Thracian's quasi-paedomania, but there's got to be a competitive seventeen / eighteen year old (King? Tejan-Sie? How old are these lads?) that can do a better job than an out of place defender and an old Aussie wing back that clearly doesn't want to be a central midfielder?

For the second consecutive game we showed no idea, no imagination and no penetration from the middle today. On top of that, we didn't even have any wide threat. Welsh did fook all, I can't remember him distributing a single cross following a single decent run. Diabolical.

In Hume and Fryatt we have the attacking elements to finish and score goals, with any form of creativity we'd have taken 3 points today against a god AWFUL QPR. If Hughes / Williams (whether you like them or not, at least they're suited to the position) are to be out much longer, bring in the kiddies. Because they can't be any fooking worse than that.

I agree with all of that mate. We lacked a lot of composure in the middle and our pass accuracy rate must make shocking reading. I think we put too much of our hopes into Weso. I hope he turns out to be a consistently great player as today he was pretty poor.

What is up with Tiatto, he seems to have these panic attacks when he gets the ball and starts running back towards his own goal, comes under pressure and wont pass it! So frustrating. He did put in a few good deliveries though.

Weso's a great little worker. He'll be a fantastic player if he sticks to what he's good at, the holding role. We need a creative bit of inspiration infront of him to look up, calm down, and feed the forwards. If King's that man, may he step forward.

Not as a creative unit. They did very well "all things considered" but they weren't creative, inspirational, positive thinking dynamos. Not at all. Anyone who honestly believes Stearman is a visionary, midfield playmaker clearly has their head so far up his backside they didn't really have a good view of the action.

Weso and Stearman were outstanding together on Tuesday.

Gotta play wingers who want to play like proper wingers, though, if we play Weso/Stearman in the middle together. Sylla/Gradel on the right, Welsh/Porter on the left.

Also, who would you instruct to move it about a bit - Stearman to move forward, Weso holding, or vice-versa?

It should be tried - Stearman/Weso was a good combination earlier this week, just need the right wingers. :yesyes:

No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

You can have all the right wingers you want, you can have twelve on either wing with rocket packs, if you want. But you still need some sort of creativity to hold it all together. Who feeds the wingers? Who's pushing up from the middle to support the front pair? Stearman's brilliant, I'll even join the I Love Stearman club if you want to make one, we can all have pictures of him with his gran in our signatures 'cos I'm sure he's so nice to her; but he is not the answer to our midfield issue!

It would be helpful though to have wingers on the field who can actually do a job for us on the wing (bit bleedin' obvious I know!!). But before you snap me head off SosbanFach, I also agree that we need somebody in the middle of the park who can take on the creative responsibilities. Weso is a great midfielder, but he is more suited to harassing the opposition midfielders and winning the ball, not pushing forward. Williams in the 1 game he recently played for us seemed to do it extremely well, and if we can get him fit again and hold off offering him a new contract, I'm sure he'll do the same again. Not too sure Hughes could do the job, he isn't very good for us. But we definitely need a creative player to partner Weso in the middle and wingers who can actually play like wingers.

Narh, don't get me wrong. I like having wide players with an attacking mind, I just don't think that's the only offensive element that needs to come out of midfield. I agree with you totally, that's what I'm saying. We need a partner for Weso and with Johnson and Williams injured and Hughes shit, I'm just saying I think we're about ready to look to the accdemy - unless we want to keep grinding out 1 - 1s. [/Thracian]

Agreed.

I'm still to angry to disucss this at length, Welsh,Tiatto,Stearmen,Maybury. WTF is that. I could stand one or maybe even two of the latter three in the midfield if they had someone who could play football in there with them, but there is absloutley no bite in that midfield at all :unsure:

lol frighteningly Thracian-like there :P

I agree to some extent with what you're saying though. With the amount of injuries we currently have in our midfield ranks, we're in desparate need of an attacking, creative midfielder who can play off of the ball winner, and without it we're not going to be scoring as many goals as we could/should and will not pick up as many points as possible. If this creative midfielder is in our academy side, then fantastic I'd love to see him come in and do a job.

I'm just a little worried that we'd be bringing in too many academy players all at once and relying on too many youngsters. It has been pointed out before that there is a big gap in quality between the academy level and the first team level. It just worries me a bit that if we did bring in a younger lad then he may not be able to cope with first team games just yet, and we could be worse off for using him/them.

But if we don't try we'll never know I suppose. :rolleyes:

Not asking for a replacement to Williams / Johnson / Hughes, really. Just someone to fill the gap in the midst of this crisis. Don't need a boy to step up and be a man, just yet - but I'm sure we can get one to stick his finger in the breech for long enough for the big boys to get fit.

I understand what you're saying and I too know we need to fill in for the injured lads atm. I wouldn't exactly class Johnson as a creative midfield player, so one would have to ask how long it is that Hughes and/or Williams is/are going to be out for?? Can Levi Porter play in central midfield? He's already had first team experience, can run at players and apparently has a creative side to him. Would he be a better alternative to bringing in somebody completely untried?

I would have thought it was obvious to everyone that we're in dire need of some kind of "playmaker" in the midfield... there are candidates in the lower leagues and their are players in the prem we could get on loan... we dont need another striker, with Fryat fit and Dodds comming back from loan we'll have five choices as it is, what we do need is a good attacking midfielder who can play in the centre and/or on the right that would pretty much settle the team for the time being...

So any ideas?

The answer is Andy King. Eighteen tomorrow. Has a squad number already. :thumbup:

Beginning to wish he'd have been used sparingly already - one or two sub appearances. Now, when we really need options in the middle, we've not got anyone handy with experience of the first team. :S

I do question how big a difference it makes, playing a lad adept in a position with no big-game experience and playing a lad with big game experience who doesn't know what the fook he's doing in the middle of the park. Quite frankly, I'd take option A.

I do question how big a difference it makes, playing a lad adept in a position with no big-game experience and playing a lad with big game experience who doesn't know what the fook he's doing in the middle of the park. Quite frankly, I'd take option A.

Joining Thracian's academy crusade then SosbanFach?? :Plol I dunno, it's always nice to speculate about these things, but you've gotta feel Kelly has called up as many youngsters as he'd like to for now and that he will try and use an experienced first team member in the center of midfield whilst we have enough fit players to play there.

Your mother. [/suitably stupid answer]

Now now. Lets have none of that please, as there is no need for it :P

Disco Bob hasn't been taking his medication today and is prone to stupid outbursts :laugh:

So academy lad it is then for the thoughtless midfield?!?!?!

Archived