Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

The Case for Louis Dodds

I don't see any of our strikers being out of the running but the more I do see and hear of them the more I feel it is time for Louis Dodds to get his chance.

Logan and Porter don't seem to have done so bad so why has Dodds been so wilfully sidelined?.

One striking position is well and truly taken. Iain Hume has been a gem and I'm not surprised. From the week he arrived and I saw him playing for the Reserves he's always had one great strength.

Boundless determination.

Trying to spot a good pass must be like trying to find water in the desert but Hume just busies away, trying to make something from nothing and eight goals from about 12 chances is special.

Otherwise, whether you're talking Hammond, Fryatt, O'Grady the job's up for grabs. I thought it was ungrateful for what Hammond's done that Fryatt should so easily walk back into the side without any real justification and today's performance only confirmed that. But Hammond has still struggled to score which brings me on to Dodds.

From day one, Dodds has been Mr Consistent. Not a scorer of three goals one match and then none for a month but a marksman who plunders goals with almost boring regularity. It's a pity he's not an in-your-face type who would think nothing of asking why he never gets a chance.

But he's not. He's easily missed. He's quietly effective - a short pass here, a longer pass there but relentlessly he finds himself three or four chances a game and slots one or two. Furthermore he's a bit taller than what we've got. Around six feet. So he can head the ball, he can bend free kicks and he can do tap ins.

Indeed, I've seen nothing that Fryatt does which Dodds can't do but Dodds uses his team-mates better and I'd imagine scores a far wider range of goals than Fryatt has shown he might score so far. Interesting too that even Walsall are flying high for a change now he's left. Could be coincidence, but I've not been at all impressed with Fryatt this season. He's not looked fit and he's not been sharp.

I don't see any of our strikers being out of the running but the more I do see and hear of them the more I feel it is time for Louis Dodds to get his chance.

Logan and Porter don't seem to have done so bad so why has Dodds been so wilfully sidelined?.

One striking position is well and truly taken. Iain Hume has been a gem and I'm not surprised. From the week he arrived and I saw him playing for the Reserves he's always had one great strength.

Boundless determination.

Trying to spot a good pass must be like trying to find water in the desert but Hume just busies away, trying to make something from nothing and eight goals from about 12 chances is special.

Otherwise, whether you're talking Hammond, Fryatt, O'Grady the job's up for grabs. I thought it was ungrateful for what Hammond's done that Fryatt should so easily walk back into the side without any real justification and today's performance only confirmed that. But Hammond has still struggled to score which brings me on to Dodds.

From day one, Dodds has been Mr Consistent. Not a scorer of three goals one match and then none for a month but a marksman who plunders goals with almost boring regularity. It's a pity he's not an in-your-face type who would think nothing of asking why he never gets a chance.

But he's not. He's easily missed. He's quietly effective - a short pass here, a longer pass there but relentlessly he finds himself three or four chances a game and slots one or two. Furthermore he's a bit taller than what we've got. Around six feet. So he can head the ball, he can bend free kicks and he can do tap ins.

Indeed, I've seen nothing that Fryatt does which Dodds can't do but Dodds uses his team-mates better and I'd imagine scores a far wider range of goals than Fryatt has shown he might score so far. Interesting too that even Walsall are flying high for a change now he's left. Could be coincidence, but I've not been at all impressed with Fryatt this season. He's not looked fit and he's not been sharp.

Patience, we need to see whether he can supply the goals for Northwich on a regular basis.

Patience, we need to see whether he can supply the goals for Northwich on a regular basis.

Northwich wouldn't be a better side than our reserves and he scored stacks for the reserves. We need another marksman in our side now - not sometime in the distant future. Can you imagine where the hell we'd be if Hume got injured?

Boundless determination.

Are you forgetting the end of last season? and the fact fryatt is not fit? bit of a harsh judgement. I agree with the height thing tho. we need some one to get onto the end of crosses. there is no point in width if we are not going to get our head onto the end of it....helce we can end up playing narrow.

Are you forgetting the end of last season? and the fact fryatt is not fit? bit of a harsh judgement. I agree with the height thing tho. we need some one to get onto the end of crosses. there is no point in width if we are not going to get our head onto the end of it....helce we can end up playing narrow.

I judge strikers on the basis of two things only - goals and assists - and last season is history.

I don't think Fryatt was fit at the start of the season - which was his fault - and to some extent it's his responsibility to be fit now, having apparently recovered from injury.

And, you're right we need a different type of striker to Hume. Causing defenders problems is all about variety - and the type of ideas we were supposedly lacking after less than an hour according to the commentary.

Northwich wouldn't be a better side than our reserves and he scored stacks for the reserves. We need another marksman in our side now - not sometime in the distant future. Can you imagine where the hell we'd be if Hume got injured?

:cry: That really doesn't bare thinknig about!

Dodds only went to Northwich to get him watch fit.

He will be part of the team before long because, let's face it, O'Grady's not much use and isn't fit anyway. :whistle:

:thumbup:

O'Grady's rarely let us down but is one of those players who doesn't often get the chance to play a significant role or develop his role within the team.

In fact to my mind we still don't have what I would describe as a "team" - that is a group of people who play football naturally together as a unit.

Wasn't it five changes to our side today?. Hardly the recipe for fluidity. And even with the changes we still had the same weaknesses, O'Grady could have been a useful option today after Porter scored.

I judge strikers on the basis of two things only - goals and assists - and last season is history.

I don't think Fryatt was fit at the start of the season - which was his fault - and to some extent it's his responsibility to be fit now, having apparently recovered from injury.

And, you're right we need a different type of striker to Hume. Causing defenders problems is all about variety - and the type of ideas we were supposedly lacking after less than an hour according to the commentary.

If they have done it before they will do it again. "form is temporary...class is permanant"

Apart from if your name begins with E and ends in Lvis Hammond.

Apart from if your name begins with E and ends in Lvis Hammond.

Hammond does his bit...far more than Johnson. Thing is can't stop thinking that if Kelly where to use up another substitution to introduce a youngster to the game, it d be good. Any Chambers, Gradel, Dodds, Mattock could only improve the team on the pitch.

Kelly is very limited in his substitutions. Something than should be given due consideration

Boundless determination.

Walsall are doing well now because they got relegated to League Two, therefore the games are easier. To say it is interesting that they are doing well since Fryatt left is total rubbish because Fryatt was a good player for that club and even so, they did shocking without him last season and ended up being relegated.

Dodds has never been tested at Championship level so you cannot say whether he would be good or not. You can rave about him all you like but you have to remember he has only played at reserve level and for Northwich Victoria.

Walsall are doing well now because they got relegated to League Two, therefore the games are easier. To say it is interesting that they are doing well since Fryatt left is total rubbish because Fryatt was a good player for that club and even so, they did shocking without him last season and ended up being relegated.

Dodds has never been tested at Championship level so you cannot say whether he would be good or not. You can rave about him all you like but you have to remember he has only played at reserve level and for Northwich Victoria.

I only said it was interesting - I didn't make any comment on how he played for Walsall because I wouldn't know.

It is easy for fans to rate someone because he cost more money than everyone else and last season it was perhaps justified. This season I've seen nothing from Fryatt to suggest he's doing any more than picking up his wages.

I don't "rave" about Dodds - that's just what you want to make out. I'm concerned that we don't have an effective second striker and simply said it would be nice to find out if Dodds, prolific at every other level he's played, might deserve a chance before we go and spend God knows what on someone else who might not even be as good.

There always seems to be this attitude in football that if someone costs lots of money they must be better than some than someone who doesn't. Our history demonstrates that's not always the case and in Dodds situation it might be sensible to find out before he leaves and perhaps does the job elsewhere.

He couldn't do much worse as a marksman than what we've had alongside Hume so far. And, quite apart from his goals, the lad can play a bit.

I only said it was interesting - I didn't make any comment on how he played for Walsall because I wouldn't know.

It is easy for fans to rate someone because he cost more money than everyone else and last season it was perhaps justified. This season I've seen nothing from Fryatt to suggest he's doing any more than picking up his wages.

I don't "rave" about Dodds - that's just what you want to make out. I'm concerned that we don't have an effective second striker and simply said it would be nice to find out if Dodds, prolific at every other level he's played, might deserve a chance before we go and spent God knows what on someone else who might not even be as good.

There always seems to be this attitude in football that if someone costs lots of money they must be better than some than someone who doesn't. Our history demonstrates that's not always the case and in Dodds situation it might be sensible to find out before he leaves and perhaps does the job elsewhere.

He couldn't do much worse as a marksman than what we've had alongside Hume so far. And, quite apart from his goals, the lad can play a bit.

I for one cant see what we have to lose by playing dodds. everyone else has has a go and apart from Hume everyone else lasks consistency and the ability to score a range of goals from volleys to tap ins. i agree that Fryatt doesnt look the player from last season but he has had that injury to be fair however why not give Dodds 6 matches or so then he can prove he has something to offer if he is a success fair enough if not at least we know.

Dodds should get a go. It's ridiculous that someone with his record hasn't had a chance. What's the point of a reserve or youth team if someone can score so many goals and not get promoted to the first team squad. Having said that, I'll hold fire til he gets back from Northwich. Fingers crossed he'll get a chance then.

I shudder to think. :pinch:

Dodds will get his chance - we just have to wait and see what the future holds for him under RK when he gets back from his loan spell :):yesyes:

Archived