Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frenzied

Bring Back Terracing - Yes/No

Bring Back Terracing - Yes/No?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think terracing should be brought back?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

I doubt terracing will ever be brought, back however people at games should be allowed to stand like L1 and not be harrassed by stewards. This should also apply to all away games

so keep seats in but allow standing as its sooooooo much better :thumbup:

Thats what I meant

I think there should be designated standing area's but with seating for the reasons Sheffield_fox gave, as much as I enjoyed the terracing and the atmosphere at Cardiff away it can be a strain on the legs standing for 90mins so the option to sit down is also a good one, however standing these days won't create another Hillsbrough given that if the event came to where people were pushing forward to get in, people could seek escape onto the pitch without getting crushed by a fence.

Seeing as no one has investigated the potential of all-hammocked stands and their effect on matchday atmosphere, I think you are all being a bit presumptuous ruling them out.

In ships, in the olden days (ask davieG all about them if you haven't seen Hornblower on TV :ph34r: ), they'd pack hammocks in really tight.

So:

• higher revenue for increased attendances
  • Instant blue stadium
  • Your flask wouldn't be knocked over
  • Somewhere comfy while waiting for a cross from the wing

Hammocks it is! :thumbup:

I've voted yes. I'm not stupid enough to believe this will happen as Health and Safety and all that stuff will prevent it from taking place. But I'd love to see terraces brought back to football grounds - for the sake of the dieing atmosphere. The best example of this would be to sit in the Kop for a league game and sit in L1 for the league game after that. You'll see that L1 is quite a bit louder and the atmosphere is much better, partly because they are next to the away fans but also because they're all standing.

Interesting to note that a number of people don't believe terracing would ever be brought back. But with sustained and organised pressure (re StandUpSitDown etc) the chances are far more likely than if people just give up on the issue.

As I alluded to earlier, the problem goes much deeper than being allowed to simply stand or sit but rather is partially an attempt by various groups in football to price less well-off fans (or potential fans) out of the game.

Whether this process is conscious, unconscious or both is open to debate.

I'm afraid there is absolutely no evidence for either of these two assertions, both being purely circumstantial.

In terms of the first point many clubs still sell tickets per stand rather than per seat. Nor does it factor in the possibility that fans can move seats if a stand is not full and therefore renders this kind of spectator management void.

Added to this Hillsborough was not caused by terracing. The same thing would have happened (considering the actions of the police, fencing and poor state of the ground) if that area was seated, and in all likelihood would have been worse.

In respect to football hooligans there is again no evidence that a decrease in football violence inside grounds has occured due to the introduction of all-seater stadia. Other factors could also be quoted - increased and more sophisticated police surveillance (cctv), higher ticket prices and less media coverage of hooliganism can all be stated to name a few.

Sorry mate but Have you actually read the Taylor Report, get back to me when you have a better arguement.

FURTHER READING

• Lord Justice Stuart-Smith (1998) Scrutiny of evidence relating to the Hillsborugh stadium disaster, HMSO,

CMND 3878

• Lord Justice Taylor (1989) Interim Report into the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster, HMSO, CMND 765

• Lord Justice Taylor (1990) Final Report into the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster, HMSO

Sorry mate but Have you actually read the Taylor Report, get back to me when you have a better arguement.

FURTHER READING

• Lord Justice Stuart-Smith (1998) Scrutiny of evidence relating to the Hillsborugh stadium disaster, HMSO,

CMND 3878

• Lord Justice Taylor (1989) Interim Report into the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster, HMSO, CMND 765

• Lord Justice Taylor (1990) Final Report into the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster, HMSO

Actually I have and Taylor states that, "standing accommodation (at football matches) is not intrinsically unsafe."

Fans have not shown enough responsiblity to warrent the return of Terracing.

Every weekend there is some sort of incident, either involving coin through, or abusive language/behaviour.

This will never happen.

Are you a Head Teacher?

"I am sorry, but the Sixth Form have continued to behave in a juvenile manner and coffee privileges will not be returned until they act in a more mature fashion."

:P

Interesting to note that a number of people don't believe terracing would ever be brought back. But with sustained and organised pressure (re StandUpSitDown etc) the chances are far more likely than if people just give up on the issue.

You're mixing two different things up here. Terracing won't be brought back - because it is unsafe and unregulated. Standing areas probably will - but they won't seem that different from today's seating areas. Flip-down seats, one person per seat/standing area (paid and allocated in advance). Just with the seat nominal and some sort of bar between each row to stop the risk of toppling froward.

[..] All-seater stadiums have resulted in cases of football hooliganism decreasing significantly, meaning that incidents of violence inside football grounds have become almost non-existent. In addition, arrests for football-related crimes have reduced dramatically since the late 1980's whilst attendances have risen steadily.

Given the large number of other additional measures that have been brought in since 1989, the significant decrease in football hooliganism cannot be attributed to all-seater stadiums alone.

Certainly, there is a correlation between all-seater stadiums and the decrease in hooliganism and it could be safely assumed that all-seater stadium have contributed to this decrease, but, without any relaible means of measuring how effective the other measures have been there is no way to state that all-seater stadiums were the most siginificant measure.

Oh, and Pie > Cake btw.

we were less than half way up the upper tier and we stood all game with no hassle

fook knows I moved seat and didn't sit where I was meant to, but everyone around me stood all game as did I with no problem from stewards or police.. I were on the side of the stand where the riot took place :) (the side of the stand which directly faced Levi when he came on :thumbup: )

Derby support was a disgrace to their club.

I must admit they were pretty loud, but for saying they are in the play-offs it was poor.

They had to be jeered on by some crappy god-awfull drums and they sang songs from other teams which just capped the humiliation for them - shame about the result :doh: Would have capped everything off if we had won.

Archived