Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frenzied

Bring Back Terracing - Yes/No

Bring Back Terracing - Yes/No?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think terracing should be brought back?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Care

Considering the recent discussions on standing at games and the controversy over standing at the Walkers, I thought I'd conduct a poll. I'm firmly behind the movement to bring back terracing for the following reasons:

It helps create a better atmosphere.

It would allow clubs to lower ticket prices, as capacities could be increased, thus allowing people who can't afford tickets a better chance of attending games.

It is often more fun for people that like to watch football in that way.

There has never been a tragedy at an English football match that has been the result of well maintaned terracing.

People can stand at other sporting events and concerts and so the policy of all-seater is discriminatory towards football fans.

Football hooliganism is not caused by people standing at matches - it is a social problem and it is unfair to blame football.

People stand in all-seater stadiums anyway, which would seem to be more dangerous than standing on terraces.

Considering the recent discussions on standing at games and the controversy over standing at the Walkers, I thought I'd conduct a poll. I'm firmly behind the movement to bring back terracing for the following reasons:

It helps create a better atmosphere.

It would allow clubs to lower ticket prices, as capacities could be increased, thus allowing people who can't afford tickets a better chance of attending games.

It is often more fun for people that like to watch football in that way.

There has never been a tragedy at an English football match that has been the result of well maintaned terracing.

People can stand at other sporting events and concerts and so the policy of all-seater is discriminatory towards football fans.

Football hooliganism is not caused by people standing at matches - it is a social problem and it is unfair to blame football.

People stand in all-seater stadiums anyway, which would seem to be more dangerous than standing on terraces.

There's a link there, It creates a mobish atmosphere which can influence people to be violent. They have seen this in Germany.

Still I think terracing should be bought back.

There's a link there, It creates a mobish atmosphere which can influence people to be violent. They have seen this in Germany.

Still I think terracing should be bought back.

I have to disagree. I think the link is somewhat spurious in that it's not the act of standing at football that makes people want to commit acts of football violence but rather that some people that want to commit acts of football violence want to stand. Added to this is that lots of football hooligans have preferred to sit over the years.

I guess one of the main problems with terracing and football violence is that it might be more difficult to identify hooligans. Although I doubt this due to the levels of surveillance technology now employed at football. :thumbup:

No....

Read the Lord Justice Taylor's report into the Hillsborough disaster.

During an FA Cup semi-final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield, ninety-six Liverpool fans were killed.

The Taylor Report recommended that all top division stadiums in England and Scotland phase out their concrete terraces and become all-seater. The result of this report has seen millions of pounds spent by every top club in these countries on developing their grounds. While many fans have complained that the elimination of the standing terraces has ruined the atmosphere at matches, it seems clear that all-seater stadiums are far safer as it is easier to manage spectators if each ticket sold is for a specific seat.

All-seater stadiums have resulted in cases of football hooliganism decreasing significantly, meaning that incidents of violence inside football grounds have become almost non-existent. In addition, arrests for football-related crimes have reduced dramatically since the late 1980's whilst attendances have risen steadily.

I voted no.

I'm sure many of you have noticed the recent up rise in people throwing objects on to the pitch. Now with most of the current all-seater stadiums in terms of security, every seat is covered. Also fans have to give their names and addresses when purchasing a ticket. This allows the clubs to pinpoint the guilty party and ban them for an appropriate length of time.

If terracing were to be introduced, I think ultimately this would result in netting having to also be introduced to surround the areas. People would use the fact that they can't easily be identified for this purpose of throwing objects at players/opposing fans etc. So would you still welcome terracing if it was at the cost of netting? I'd rather stick as we are and play it safe.

Yes, without doubt no question 100% yes!

The working class man is priced out of football, it has changed so much since 1989 some good and some bad, but the people who now go week in and week out has changed due to pricing hence the atmosphere suffers FACT!

I think there is room for everybody, one safe standing end behind a goal. I know people who were at hillsborough, i found it to be the fault of the South Yorkshire Police for that terrible dark day.

Why is it fair that Cardiff fans can still stand up (and they do create a good terrace atmosphere) and other clubs do STILL have standing to.

By the way how old are the people who have voted no? just a question.

Have you ever had the opportunity TO stand up at the football? in my own experience i think there is no comparison to sitting.

But i do agree it will never happen...football has a corporate sheen to it. It feels it's untouchable.

Only when the mainstream media lose interest and investment so the average man gets further priced out shall attendences drop..... only then shall we rip out the seats like animals and stand as the working man returns to what they like to call soccer! rattle in hand front teeth missing we will stand oh yes we will stand.

so yeah never gonna happen

No, I want to stand, but not all game as you sould have to in the terraces, if theres no atmosspere I sit down mostly andway.

To be fair that might be a shock to people :thumbup: "does you back hurt....Milan Manderic blue and white army..."

90 mins standing up :unsure: the first time i ever stood up in Pen 2 i was 13 and i couldnt fit on the step half a foot on one half on another boy did the back of my legs hurt!!

Was back in next week though, its the humour and atmosphere. Like songs they spread better new ones get introduced over a few weeks 5 or 10 people sing for a few weeks then more join in till everyone knows...that is why we have shite songs now no invention no words....people speed up when there singing!!! :(

Its like Manderic have we a song in the tune of Mandy yet....people will write the words on here but it wont spread...it would on a terrace.

Times have rapidly changed since the days of standing. I voted No because although I would love to see more of an atmosphere, it is just too dangerous. You just have to look at Hilsborough.

Can you explain that?

If there was standing would you want 6ft high fences put up, i wouldnt.

I doubt terracing will ever be brought, back however people at games should be allowed to stand like L1 and not be harrassed by stewards. This should also apply to all away games

so keep seats in but allow standing as its sooooooo much better :thumbup:

Yeh, even if it was only a few blocks.

Just make sure that theres a limit to how many people cna ge tin, not that it would be a problem at the walkers :whistle:

Standing breeds a good atmosphere as people are more willing to sing when they are standing, to me singing while sitting feels weird.

No....

Read the Lord Justice Taylor's report into the Hillsborough disaster.

During an FA Cup semi-final match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest at the Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield, ninety-six Liverpool fans were killed.

The Taylor Report recommended that all top division stadiums in England and Scotland phase out their concrete terraces and become all-seater. The result of this report has seen millions of pounds spent by every top club in these countries on developing their grounds. While many fans have complained that the elimination of the standing terraces has ruined the atmosphere at matches, it seems clear that all-seater stadiums are far safer as it is easier to manage spectators if each ticket sold is for a specific seat.

All-seater stadiums have resulted in cases of football hooliganism decreasing significantly, meaning that incidents of violence inside football grounds have become almost non-existent. In addition, arrests for football-related crimes have reduced dramatically since the late 1980's whilst attendances have risen steadily.

I'm afraid there is absolutely no evidence for either of these two assertions, both being purely circumstantial.

In terms of the first point many clubs still sell tickets per stand rather than per seat. Nor does it factor in the possibility that fans can move seats if a stand is not full and therefore renders this kind of spectator management void.

Added to this Hillsborough was not caused by terracing. The same thing would have happened (considering the actions of the police, fencing and poor state of the ground) if that area was seated, and in all likelihood would have been worse.

In respect to football hooligans there is again no evidence that a decrease in football violence inside grounds has occured due to the introduction of all-seater stadia. Other factors could also be quoted - increased and more sophisticated police surveillance (cctv), higher ticket prices and less media coverage of hooliganism can all be stated to name a few.

Archived