Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Revolving Door

Semi-Pro when i was a bit younger, then played for a few local nationwide league clubs. Knee injury led to retirement.

The point i was making though was that the league is very physical, and i think we lack that at the min. Bring youngsters in would only make this worse.

It was a bloody sight more physical when you and I were playing semi-pro than ever it is now. Speed's the thing today and the bodily make-up to recover quickly.

We've got our physical players - Tiatto and McCarthy - but the nature of the game now is that they're invariably on tenterhooks after half-an-hour or so when they get their first booking.

Of course players have to be strong but the day of the clogger has gone. Speed, subtlety, resiliance quick control, accurate passing and recovery power are more important today - and versatility, the ability to be comfortable in various positions considering the amount of zonal marking that's done.

Porter and Stearman have generally coped physically and neither are big guys like Dodds and King so I really feel that constantly ignoring them is a convenience rather than a valid argument.

Whether Gradel would cope I don't know but I'd have found out by now because what we've got sure as hell doesn't.

Writing Weso off as injured until at least after Christmas, our best and most balanced midfield right now is King and Williams plus one out of Hughes and Tiatto, plus Porter of course, either left, right or centre.

If one of those needed to go wide for whatever reason King or Porter are most comfortable on the right and Tiatto or Porter on the left.

King would also link most naturally of the three if Hammond moved right and an overlap or inside run was needed. That seems our best right side solution if Gradel is not considered an option - although there's no reason not to use him off the bench, assuming they can get him fit again after his suspension.

In the bigger scheme of how great youngsters are, I'm sure Stephen Dawson was meant to be the next world beating midfielder in some way or another.

Would anyone care to tell me if he's set the world on fire for Mansfield? In the manner that was bestowed upon him when he was here?

Decent player in that division and has gone from unconvincing to one of their best players in his time there.

He might well be good enough to make it at THIS level. I don't think he's the world beater 'next Roy Keane' etc that he was supposed to be though.

:whistle:

Excuses allowed for Sheehan, but not for Fryatt, double standerds. Sheehans had chances here and at Mansfield and he's wasted them with poor performances or, apparently opening his mouth. If he was that gooder footballer he would of made it. He hasn't, one good performance as Sheffield Wednesday doesn't make him a good football player.

As I've said, his first team record of three matches and one substitute appearance was two wins, one draw and a defeat although City didn't lose the bit against Bolton that he played in and almost responded to save the game.

That's not to make excuses, I've alluded to his own bad reactions in just the same way as I've alluded to Fryatt's negligence in not getting himself fit either at the start of the season or after his injury.

I'd love Fryatt to show a change of attitude and the pride/determination needed to get himself back into contention as a striker.

But Dodds was certainly fit, well and scoring at the start of the season yet has never got a look in. Why? Because he didn't cost a chunk of money. How else would anyone have justified playing Fryatt so far this season?

As I've said, his first team record of three matches and one substitute appearance was two wins, one draw and a defeat although City didn't lose the bit against Bolton that he played in and almost responded to save the game.

That's not to make excuses, I've alluded to his own bad reactions in just the same way as I've alluded to Fryatt's negligence in not getting himself fit either at the start of the season or after his injury.

I'd love Fryatt to show a change of attitude and the pride/determination needed to get himself back into contention as a striker.

But Dodds was certainly fit, well and scoring at the start of the season yet has never got a look in. Why? Because he didn't cost a chunk of money. How else would anyone have justified playing Fryatt so far this season?

1 draw, that being the game against Crewe, that being the game he looked awfull against a poor team, eventully got himself sent off and we looked a better team without him.

Ignore his time at Mansfield if you want but don't expect me to.

How do you know Dodds was fit well and scoreing at the start of the season he hasn't played any comeptitve football, the competitve football he has played has been at a level bordering part time, and even then he didn't score for about 4 weeks before he was recalled.

1 draw, that being the game against Crewe, that being the game he looked awfull against a poor team, eventully got himself sent off and we looked a better team without him.

Ignore his time at Mansfield if you want but don't expect me to.

How do you know Dodds was fit well and scoreing at the start of the season he hasn't played any comeptitve football, the competitve football he has played has been at a level bordering part time, and even then he didn't score for about 4 weeks before he was recalled.

He didn't look awful against Crewe. But he did pay for his recklessness.

Sheehan had a mixed time at Mansfield some good, some bad as you well know and I haven't commented on it cos I didn't see him play nor in which position, seeing they moved him around by all accounts.

I've seen Dodds score at whatever level he's played quite enough to know whether I sooner have a fit Dodds or an unfit Fryatt in the side.

I wouldn't have an unfit anyone to be honest - and that includes Wesolowski.

He didn't look awful against Crewe. But he did pay for his recklessness.

Sheehan had a mixed time at Mansfield some good, some bad as you well know and I haven't commented on it cos I didn't see him play nor in which position, seeing they moved him around by all accounts.

I've seen Dodds score at whatever level he's played quite enough to know whether I sooner have a fit Dodds or an unfit Fryatt in the side.

I wouldn't have an unfit anyone to be honest - and that includes Wesolowski.

He was terrible against Crewe, he was turned inside out.

Mixed translating as average, translating as playing at his level.

I've had enough of this Dodds discussion it's boring me. Especially as he's contract is up at the end of the year (I think?) and he might leave after never even playing a game for us. Discussing whether or not he will make it at this level is pointless until he's played at a level resembling it.

He was terrible against Crewe, he was turned inside out.

Mixed translating as average, translating as playing at his level.

I've had enough of this Dodds discussion it's boring me. Especially as he's contract is up at the end of the year (I think?) and he might leave after never even playing a game for us. Discussing whether or not he will make it at this level is pointless until he's played at a level resembling it.

I would hate to play for any team of yours. You would never find out about anyone because they'd never have played at the right level to convince you and you'd never take the chance on anyone who hadn't.

In fact there'd be no point you having an Academy at all.

Dodds has scored his goals at the only levels he has been able to score them.

Sheehan - well I feel about Sheehan as you do about Dodds. I doubt he'll play any more for us and imagine he'll leave fairly shortly.

I would hate to play for any team of yours. You would never find out about anyone because they'd never have played at the right level to convince you and you'd never take the chance on anyone who hadn't.

In fact there'd be no point you having an Academy at all.

Dodds has scored his goals at the only levels he has been able to score them.

Sheehan - well I feel about Sheehan as you do about Dodds. I doubt he'll play any more for us and imagine he'll leave fairly shortly.

It would be alot easier for me to judge Louis Dodds if I was watched him train all week and had seen every single reserve youth team game he has played, as well as having accurate reports from his time at Northwhich. I haven't, I've seen him play a fair bit and I think he doesn't win the ball in the and he goes missing for long periods of games. I'm also not convinced if he could pull of a defender (yes haha v funny) and make himself room at this level like he does for the reserves/academy. Obviously Rob Kelly shares this point of view as he's not played him, and he's shown he will give his youth players a chance (Weso,Porter,O'Grady,Logan,Stearman,) and I doubt he's not given Dodds a chance without a reason.

I don't think Louis Dodds should be released without ever having played for us but I think its a possabilty. I'd like to see him thrown on for 10-20 minutes a couple of times or spend a month on loan at a football league club, but I don't think he should be starting. :dunno:

It would be alot easier for me to judge Louis Dodds if I was watched him train all week and had seen every single reserve youth team game he has played, as well as having accurate reports from his time at Northwhich. I haven't, I've seen him play a fair bit and I think he doesn't win the ball in the and he goes missing for long periods of games. I'm also not convinced if he could pull of a defender (yes haha v funny) and make himself room at this level like he does for the reserves/academy. Obviously Rob Kelly shares this point of view as he's not played him, and he's shown he will give his youth players a chance (Weso,Porter,O'Grady,Logan,Stearman,) and I doubt he's not given Dodds a chance without a reason.

I don't think Louis Dodds should be released without ever having played for us but I think its a possabilty. I'd like to see him thrown on for 10-20 minutes a couple of times or spend a month on loan at a football league club, but I don't think he should be starting. :dunno:

spot on.

I think quite a lot of the current squad will WANT to go as well as being fished out by the "bigger" clubs.

Hume and Fryatt will probs go (wanting to go as well as being fished out) and not sure about anyone else.

Kisnorbo might get fished but I doubt he will want to go.

I like the word fished :D

Allan Clarke reached England level going missing for parts of matches.

If that's your worry I'd like to know when Fryatt's been around all season.

Dodds is an understated player. I remember going to a game with a member this forum and the subject came up. He said Dodds was quiet and I said that was quite normal, but before the end of the game he'd have two or three chances and score at least once.

The first chance came quickly and he missed but he still despatched two more before the end of the game.

The quiet assassin, I'd call him. But don't think he's lazy in his quiet spells because it's not true. You just don't notice it because he never over-elaborates.

Everything outside the box is simplicity itself. Nothing to get him noticed. Then whack, the damage is done.

Dodds is no bruiser, no chaser, no pusher and shover like Dickov. Dodds is clinical. Dodds is a thinking man's footballer. A Martin Peter's type or, like I said earlier, an Allan Clarke.

And that will be his hardest test. He's so laid back he'll probably get substituted as ineffective before he gets chance to score. Cos there's so little patience today. Anyone not charging about is not committed.

But the goals he scores would go in any sized net and he scores a much wider range than Fryatt from everything I've seen of both of them.

I think quite a lot of the current squad will WANT to go as well as being fished out by the "bigger" clubs.

Hume and Fryatt will probs go (wanting to go as well as being fished out) and not sure about anyone else.

Kisnorbo might get fished but I doubt he will want to go.

I like the word fished :D

I would be quite suprised if clubs came a asking for our players to be honest. Most of them have done nothing to impress anybody so far this season...

Allan Clarke reached England level going missing for parts of matches.

If that's your worry I'd like to know when Fryatt's been around all season.

Dodds is an understated player. I remember going to a game with a member this forum and the subject came up. He said Dodds was quiet and I said that was quite normal, but before the end of the game he'd have two or three chances and score at least once.

The first chance came quickly and he missed but he still despatched two more before the end of the game.

The quiet assassin, I'd call him. But don't think he's lazy in his quiet spells because it's not true. You just don't notice it because he never over-elaborates.

Everything outside the box is simplicity itself. Nothing to get him noticed. Then whack, the damage is done.

Dodds is no bruiser, no chaser, no pusher and shover like Dickov. Dodds is clinical. Dodds is a thinking man's footballer. A Martin Peter's type or, like I said earlier, an Allan Clarke.

And that will be his hardest test. He's so laid back he'll probably get substituted as ineffective before he gets chance to score. Cos there's so little patience today. Anyone not charging about is not committed.

But the goals he scores would go in any sized net and he scores a much wider range than Fryatt from everything I've seen of both of them.

Well Thierry Henry had better watch out then because it sounds like he's reputation as the worlds greatest striker is unde threat. :rolleyes:

Fryatt will acheive much more than Dodds in his career I gurantee that. Comparing Louis Dodds to Alan Clark is like comparing Paddy McCarthy to Tony Adams.

Well Thierry Henry had better watch out then because it sounds like he's reputation as the worlds greatest striker is unde threat. :rolleyes:

Fryatt will acheive much more than Dodds in his career I gurantee that. Comparing Louis Dodds to Alan Clark is like comparing Paddy McCarthy to Tony Adams.

I didn't realise you rated Paddy that highly. :whistle::D

Welsh out probably

Low probably out too if anybody has any sense

Rab out too and I think he will go

Can't see AJ being sold to be honest. :mellow:

Welsh's loan expires in a few weeks anyway, doesn't it? :ph34r::blink:

AJ will just be left to expire. Nobody will want to pay money for that gobshite - so we can either pay him out of his contract in January or keep him around until June. Either.

Rab might go if someone's willing to pony up some cash - we might let him go for free just to free up wages, but he may not want to go - depends who wants him. :whistle:

Low probably won't go, though, unfortunately. There was a rumour we could send him back to Northampton on loan... but who knows?

I'd flog Hughes back to Craig Levein. :ph34r:

Archived