Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Revolving Door

I've no sympathy with the bloke at all. His fitness level at the start of the season looked appalling.

And since his injury he really doesn't seem to have recovered anything like his normal sharpness.

Fryatt is too limited a player to get away with being anything less than fully fit and the ball's been in his court for a while now.

If we can replace him with a more rounded striker - like Dodds but for the millions of £'s it will take to win any credibility - then I'm all for it.

We need a striker who's got more pride in himself and more desire to be at his best for this club than Fryatt has shown to me this season.

Dodds, of course, should leave and go somewhere he'll be appreciated together with Gradel and Sheehan, who should have gone last year for his own sake.

Cos if none of those three can get in the side now considering the indifferent competition they've got in the team, then there's no bloody chance of em playing once Mandaric arrives.

The same, I'm sure, will apply to Andy King who is already our best attacking midfielder by a distance, and that includes Williams.

But Leicester don't really do "attacking midfielders" in the real sense of the words so he'll end up being allowed to drift into oblivion...the nearest thing to a David Platt we've probably ever had.

I've no sympathy with the bloke at all. His fitness level at the start of the season looked appalling.

And since his injury he really doesn't seem to have recovered anything like his normal sharpness.

Fryatt is too limited a player to get away with being anything less than fully fit and the ball's been in his court for a while now.

If we can replace him with a more rounded striker - like Dodds but for the millions of £'s it will take to win any credibility - then I'm all for it.

We need a striker who's got more pride in himself and more desire to be at his best for this club than Fryatt has shown to me this season.

Dodds, of course, should leave and go somewhere he'll be appreciated together with Gradel and Sheehan, who should have gone last year for his own sake.

Cos if none of those three can get in the side now considering the indifferent competition they've got in the team, then there's no bloody chance of em playing once Mandaric arrives.

The same, I'm sure, will apply to Andy King who is already our best attacking midfielder by a distance, and that includes Williams.

But Leicester don't really do "attacking midfielders" in the real sense of the words so he'll end up being allowed to drift into oblivion...the nearest thing to a David Platt we've probably ever had.

lol

You make some really far fetched statements.

I totally understand that our youth team is looking promising at the moment, and sure we have some good young players.

But you must understand that these kids are not ready for the first team. ( how can King be our best attacking midfielder if he hasn't featured in the first team ! )

The championship is a very physical league, and having played at a high standard myself, i know what the step up to tyhis sort of standard is like.

I do agree with you about Dodds though. Surely he deserves a chance, otherwise we may never see whether he is able to cut it.

Totally agree with that. Can't understand players, especially young ones, who can't get themselves into shape. At that age you should be hungry and enthusiastic. You can blame the clubs staff as much as you want but at the end of the day if the player wants it enough they will sort themselves out. Look at players like Gary Speed who is still playing at the highest club level because he looked after himself. Do these players not have pride to do their best for themselves?

I totally understand that our youth team is looking promising at the moment, and sure we have some good young players.

But you must understand that these kids are not ready for the first team. ( how can King be our best attacking midfielder if he hasn't featured in the first team ! )

The championship is a very physical league, and having played at a high standard myself, i know what the step up to tyhis sort of standard is like.

I do agree with you about Dodds though. Surely he deserves a chance, otherwise we may never see whether he is able to cut it.

I've not noticed Porter having much trouble coping with the headless chickens of the Championship.

He's got enough such team-mates to practice against in our own set-up and that will long have applied to King, Dodds and Gradel who have all been in the set-up for ages.

King and Dodds are six footers anyway and Gradel will never be anywhere near that so if they're waiting for him to become big, hard, fearless, tough-tackling, ultra-direct Brave-as-Boedicca right winger then the first thing he'll have to do take no bloody notice of Sylla and Low.

I might not have seen King play in the first team - more's the pity - but I don't see why his ability should suddenly disappear. Let's give it some thought alongside other midfielders like Williams, Hughes and Tiatto.

Durability:

King 8 Hughes 8 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (Cos he's invariably subbed).

Tackling:

King 6 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Speed:

King 5 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part time)

Creative ability:

King 8 Hughes 5 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Scoring ability:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 6, Tiatto 5 (as above)

Times he gets in the box:

King 10 Hughes 6 Williams 5 Tiatto 5 (as above)

Support play:

King 8 Hughes 6, Williams 7, Tiatto 7 (as above)

Teamwork:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 7 (as above)

Heading:

King 8 Hughes 4 Williams 7 Tiatto 4 (as above)

Confidence:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 8 Tiatto 7

Ovferall threat

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (as above)

All in all it isn't even close.

He'd have to stay fit for a start. And he'd have to hit his excellent shots a bit lower and a bit straighter.

And if King got in the first team, he would have to stay fit. He might not have shown tendancies to get injured a lot, but correct me if I'm wrong, I can think of another highly rated midfield prospect who was the same until he got near the first team.

Just a thought.

I've not noticed Porter having much trouble coping with the headless chickens of the Championship.

He's got enough such team-mates to practice against in our own set-up and that will long have applied to King, Dodds and Gradel who have all been in the set-up for ages.

King and Dodds are six footers anyway and Gradel will never be anywhere near that so if they're waiting for him to become big, hard, fearless, tough-tackling, ultra-direct Brave-as-Boedicca right winger then the first thing he'll have to do take no bloody notice of Sylla and Low.

I might not have seen King play in the first team - more's the pity - but I don't see why his ability should suddenly disappear. Let's give it some thought alongside other midfielders like Williams, Hughes and Tiatto.

Durability:

King 8 Hughes 8 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (Cos he's invariably subbed).

Tackling:

King 6 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Speed:

King 5 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part time)

Creative ability:

King 8 Hughes 5 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Scoring ability:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 6, Tiatto 5 (as above)

Times he gets in the box:

King 10 Hughes 6 Williams 5 Tiatto 5 (as above)

Support play:

King 8 Hughes 6, Williams 7, Tiatto 7 (as above)

Teamwork:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 7 (as above)

Heading:

King 8 Hughes 4 Williams 7 Tiatto 4 (as above)

Confidence:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 8 Tiatto 7

Ovferall threat

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (as above)

All in all it isn't even close.

did you make these stats up ?

How can you have a 'times he gets in the box stat' when you're comparing players who play for different sides.

One plays for a good, attack minded side.

The others play for an overly cautious, bereft of all confidence, poor side.

Playing in two differnt leagues, with differnt things at stake.

Then again he's always right so we shouldn't really question him. Look how great Sheehan turned out to be.

Have to say until now I've been reluctant to join the throw in the kids brigade, but at the moment I'm desparate for us to try something new. Surely there'd be no harm in giving these young lads a spell on the bench and giving them 30 minutes or so here and there? Every time I look at the current bench I just think 'same old'. A bench containing a goalie, Dodds, King and Gradel, and then an experienced versatile player like a Kenton or a Maybury would be more enthralling.

Looking at Saturday's four outfield benchmen, Fryatt, Nils, Weso and Low, obviously I'd like to see Weso fit and in the first team. Fryatt? Off the pace curently. Nils? He's fine, but he's not going to change much coming on. Low? No comment required.

Who knows if they'll make it. Lets take a look though. Three speedy, fearless youngsters coming on with 20 minutes to go might even help us to finish games stronger, rather than weaker which is so often the case at the moment.

Who did ya play for?

Who did ya play for?

Semi-Pro when i was a bit younger, then played for a few local nationwide league clubs. Knee injury led to retirement.

The point i was making though was that the league is very physical, and i think we lack that at the min. Bring youngsters in would only make this worse.

Playing in two differnt leagues, with differnt things at stake.

Then again he's always right so we shouldn't really question him. Look how great Sheehan turned out to be.

Come-on Manwell, Sheehan never really had the chance. Partly because of injury, partly his own reaction and partly because of how City treated him after the Shefield Wednesday victory last season. Even recently he's returned to the club and has simply disappeared into oblivion - like so many others have from time to time this season it is almost bizarre.

Come-on Manwell, Sheehan never really had the chance. Partly because of injury, partly his own reaction and partly because of how City treated him after the Shefield Wednesday victory last season. Even recently he's returned to the club and has simply disappeared into oblivion - like so many others have from time to time this season it is almost bizarre.

Excuses allowed for Sheehan, but not for Fryatt, double standerds. Sheehans had chances here and at Mansfield and he's wasted them with poor performances or, apparently opening his mouth. If he was that gooder footballer he would of made it. He hasn't, one good performance as Sheffield Wednesday doesn't make him a good football player.

In the bigger scheme of how great youngsters are, I'm sure Stephen Dawson was meant to be the next world beating midfielder in some way or another.

Would anyone care to tell me if he's set the world on fire for Mansfield? In the manner that was bestowed upon him when he was here?

They have high hopes for him and he's been playing well. Looks to be at his level though, for now.

Archived