Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in a Box

Revolving Door

I don't mind Hughes. I'd put him in the first team every week.

He's not my first choice.

I'd rather have a proper right winger. I prefer Tiatto/Williams/Weso in the middle.

He's a decent squad player I suppose. I'd rather have two of the three others named above though.

If the money offered for Hughes is no good, keep him as a squad player. Reason I'd consider selling him is because we could get some cash from his sale, unlike others in the squad. Otherwise keep him.

He's not my first choice.

I'd rather have a proper right winger. I prefer Tiatto/Williams/Weso in the middle.

He's a decent squad player I suppose. I'd rather have two of the three others named above though.

If the money offered for Hughes is no good, keep him as a squad player. Reason I'd consider selling him is because we could get some cash from his sale, unlike others in the squad. Otherwise keep him.

I'd rather have him on the right than Low. I want to know what's happened to Momo though, just disappeared.

Out of choice - these are the players I'd want out or replaced:

These are the players I'd retain:

Logan/Henderson.

Stearman/Maybury/Tiatto/Sheehan;

Kisnorbo/McAuley/Nils;

Gradel/Porter/King/Williams/Hughes/Wesolowski

Hammond/Hume/Dodds

Thats just 18 players. I would sign four or five tops.

Douglas, Kenton, Johnson, McCarthy, Welsh, Sylla, Low, Fryatt, O'Grady could go.

The only real doubts I have are about whether or not to retain Wesolowski, Sheehan and Stearman but in the end I would have to see what I could get out of them in a better side.

It would have to be more than all three are giving right now otherwise they'd all be out in the summer.

I'd retain Tiatto for the rest of the season too because he could cover right down the left side.

Fryatt would be moved on if possible so I could get a proper more versatile replacement in and I'd retain Hughes initially because he offers energetic covering in midfield and might blossom in a better side.

Low, Johnson, Douglas I would release.

I would sell Fryatt, but definately not release him, I can't imagine him being on that much of a wage compared with some others, and I would be looking to recoup part of the money we payed for him too.

I would sell these for a nominal fee (only if we have enough cover): Hammond, Henderson, Sheehan, Nils, Hughes, Sylla, Kenton, Maybury.

I would definately not sell Hume, Kisnorbo, Logan, Porter,.

Any I hav't metioned I would sell but only at the right price.

IN,

I would like to see, and strong stiker who can head but is also cormfortable with the ball at his feet.

One permanent central midfielder, and at least one on loan.

At least one right winger

A proper left back.

Thats about it

I'd rather play a dead turtle on the right than Low... so that's not saying much.

Hughes can play there, somewhat, but I'd rather he didn't. Squad player. :thumbup:

I don't like Hughes playign wide right either. I meant I'd have him first choice centre midfield every game.

I would ship out Momo Sylla as he is utter rubbish and adds nothing to the squad. Josh Low isn't much better but could be useful for cover. Release AJ and he does absolutely nothing.

Apart from the 2 above we could do with keeping the rest unless we get replacements as our squad isn't the biggest.

Low, Johnson, Douglas I would release.

I would sell Fryatt, but definately not release him, I can't imagine him being on that much of a wage compared with some others, and I would be looking to recoup part of the money we payed for him too.

I would sell these for a nominal fee (only if we have enough cover): Hammond, Henderson, Sheehan, Nils, Hughes, Sylla, Kenton, Maybury.

I would definately not sell Hume, Kisnorbo, Logan, Porter,.

Any I hav't metioned I would sell but only at the right price.

IN,

I would like to see, and strong stiker who can head but is also cormfortable with the ball at his feet.

One permanent central midfielder, and at least one on loan.

At least one right winger

A proper left back.

Thats about it

I love the "that's about it".

"In the Beginning God Created the Heaven and The Earth." Which is not a bad day's work by anyone's standards as Ricky Gervais would say.

But on the Second Day he had a lot more headaches - putting Leicester City right!

Basically you're happy with just four of our players.

I'm not saying you're wrong either. But what an indictment of the City team.

It's how you contain your excitement and anticipation Saturday's that intrigues me.

I love the "that's about it".

"In the Beginning God Created the Heaven and The Earth." Which is not a bad day's work by anyone's standards as Ricky Gervasse would say.

But on the Second Day he had a lot more headaches - putting Leicester City right!

Basically you're happy with just four of our players.

I'm not saying you're wrong either. But what an indictment of the City team.

It's how you contain your excitement and anticipation Saturday's that intrigues me.

Well said... And you make it sound so simple potter3!

Allan Clarke reached England level going missing for parts of matches.

If that's your worry I'd like to know when Fryatt's been around all season.

Dodds is an understated player. I remember going to a game with a member this forum and the subject came up. He said Dodds was quiet and I said that was quite normal, but before the end of the game he'd have two or three chances and score at least once.

The first chance came quickly and he missed but he still despatched two more before the end of the game.

The quiet assassin, I'd call him. But don't think he's lazy in his quiet spells because it's not true. You just don't notice it because he never over-elaborates.

Everything outside the box is simplicity itself. Nothing to get him noticed. Then whack, the damage is done.

Dodds is no bruiser, no chaser, no pusher and shover like Dickov. Dodds is clinical. Dodds is a thinking man's footballer. A Martin Peter's type or, like I said earlier, an Allan Clarke.

And that will be his hardest test. He's so laid back he'll probably get substituted as ineffective before he gets chance to score. Cos there's so little patience today. Anyone not charging about is not committed.

But the goals he scores would go in any sized net and he scores a much wider range than Fryatt from everything I've seen of both of them.

Although Thracian has glamorised Dodds up and made him out to be a genius, there are some bits in this post that are spot on. Dodds is a clinical finisher and his footballing brain is his best asset. He makes space for himself by being one step ahead of everyone else. He deserves a chance.

I've not noticed Porter having much trouble coping with the headless chickens of the Championship.

He's got enough such team-mates to practice against in our own set-up and that will long have applied to King, Dodds and Gradel who have all been in the set-up for ages.

King and Dodds are six footers anyway and Gradel will never be anywhere near that so if they're waiting for him to become big, hard, fearless, tough-tackling, ultra-direct Brave-as-Boedicca right winger then the first thing he'll have to do take no bloody notice of Sylla and Low.

I might not have seen King play in the first team - more's the pity - but I don't see why his ability should suddenly disappear. Let's give it some thought alongside other midfielders like Williams, Hughes and Tiatto.

Durability:

King 8 Hughes 8 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (Cos he's invariably subbed).

Tackling:

King 6 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Speed:

King 5 Hughes 6 Williams 6 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part time)

Creative ability:

King 8 Hughes 5 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (cos he's only there part-time)

Scoring ability:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 6, Tiatto 5 (as above)

Times he gets in the box:

King 10 Hughes 6 Williams 5 Tiatto 5 (as above)

Support play:

King 8 Hughes 6, Williams 7, Tiatto 7 (as above)

Teamwork:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 7 (as above)

Heading:

King 8 Hughes 4 Williams 7 Tiatto 4 (as above)

Confidence:

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 8 Tiatto 7

Ovferall threat

King 8 Hughes 6 Williams 7 Tiatto 6 (as above)

All in all it isn't even close.

Sorry for the delay just read this.

So Wheres the passing stats?

You can't compare the 2 if he has really as good as you say he would be playing. He can't be ready for the first team.

Out of choice - these are the players I'd want out or replaced:

These are the players I'd retain:

Logan/Henderson.

Stearman/Maybury/Tiatto/Sheehan;

Kisnorbo/McAuley/Nils;

Gradel/Porter/King/Williams/Hughes/Wesolowski

Hammond/Hume/Dodds

Thats just 18 players. I would sign four or five tops.

Douglas, Kenton, Johnson, McCarthy, Welsh, Sylla, Low, Fryatt, O'Grady could go.

The only real doubts I have are about whether or not to retain Wesolowski, Sheehan and Stearman but in the end I would have to see what I could get out of them in a better side.

It would have to be more than all three are giving right now otherwise they'd all be out in the summer.

I'd retain Tiatto for the rest of the season too because he could cover right down the left side.

Fryatt would be moved on if possible so I could get a proper more versatile replacement in and I'd retain Hughes initially because he offers energetic covering in midfield and might blossom in a better side.

Our two best players to have come out of the academy for several years and you would think about getting rid of them? :rolleyes:

How can you laud the abilities of players such as Gradel and King who are un-proven, yet consider getting rid of players that have achieved what the likes of Gradel and King dream about? Ok, so if Weso is going to never fulfill his potential due to injuries then we'll not benefit from keeping him, but i'd take that chance. If another year or so down the line he's still injured then i'd think about getting rid, but his talents dictate that he should be kept here until it can be determined whether his career is unlikely to take off. Ability wise, Weso is better than King, Dodds, Porter, Gradel, Odihambo almost all of the academy team. He's a one off. The youngsters i've just mentioned are talented but if they get called in to their full national squad by the time their 18 (some are already older than that and haven't) then i'll eat my words. But I doubt they will.

As for Stearman, he's won Young Player of The Season 2 years running, something no other player at Leicester has ever done. He also won Academy player of the year at least once, probably a few more times. He's suffering this season due to the situation we are in and the manager's incapablities of getting the best out of his players. But, if he was wasn't good enough for us then there wouldn't be several clubs willing to pay well over £1 million for him. Again, if King, Gradel, Porter, Dodds and co ever have offers of over a million come in for them then hats off to them, but i'm not as convinced as you that they are as good as led to believe. They have talent and I hope they are, but it takes a lot to get to that level required and to stay there.

I apologise if I am wrong, but I get the impression that once a youngster from the academy has established themselves in our first team for a year or so that you lose interest and go on to the next batch who are close to breaking through. You seem to revel in the fact that the youngsters aren't getting a chance and fight for their cause to get a chance. If Porter is still in our team this time next year, it will be interesting to see if you still rave about him, likewise if Dodds gets in shortly. I may be wrong here, but you've gone right off Stearman and Weso. Yet they've achieved more than most of our academy players ever will in their so far short careers.

Our two best players to have come out of the academy for several years and you would think about getting rid of them? :rolleyes:

How can you laud the abilities of players such as Gradel and King who are un-proven, yet consider getting rid of players that have achieved what the likes of Gradel and King dream about? Ok, so if Weso is going to never fulfill his potential due to injuries then we'll not benefit from keeping him, but i'd take that chance. If another year or so down the line he's still injured then i'd think about getting rid, but his talents dictate that he should be kept here until it can be determined whether his career is unlikely to take off. Ability wise, Weso is better than King, Dodds, Porter, Gradel, Odihambo almost all of the academy team. He's a one off. The youngsters i've just mentioned are talented but if they get called in to their full national squad by the time their 18 (some are already older than that and haven't) then i'll eat my words. But I doubt they will.

As for Stearman, he's won Young Player of The Season 2 years running, something no other player at Leicester has ever doen I don't think? He also won Academy player of the year at least once, probably a few more times. He's suffering this season due to the situation we are in and the manager's incapablities of getting the best out of his players. But, if he was wasn't good enough for us then there wouldn't be several clubs willing to pay well over £1 million for him. Again, if King, Gradel, Porter, Dodds and co ever have offers of over a million come in for them then hats off to them, but i'm not as convinced as you that they are as good as led to believe. They have talent and I hope they are, but it takes a lot to get to that level required and to stay there.

The next David Platt envys no man. :rolleyes:

As for Stearman, he's won Young Player of The Season 2 years running, something no other player at Leicester has ever done. He also won Academy player of the year at least once, probably a few more times. He's suffering this season due to the situation we are in and the manager's incapablities of getting the best out of his players. But, if he was wasn't good enough for us then there wouldn't be several clubs willing to pay well over £1 million for him. Again, if King, Gradel, Porter, Dodds and co ever have offers of over a million come in for them then hats off to them, but i'm not as convinced as you that they are as good as led to believe. They have talent and I hope they are, but it takes a lot to get to that level required and to stay there.

I suppose the difference between me and some people on here is that sentiment would never come into my team selection. I would have no second thoughts about moving anyone on if it resulted in a better team.

And, although I said clearly that I would keep all three of the young players mentioned and try to get them playing in a better team, I have reservations all round.

However good Wesolowski is - and from what I've seen I'd never rate him above Porter for one minute - he is never fit. I've no idea why he keeps getting these setbacks, I have sympathy personally, but the longer it goes on the harder it will be for him psychologically to recover completely.

And, right now it is too ridiculous for words that a less-than quarter-fit Weso is being picked ahead of a demosntrably fit King - or any other fit player.

Stearman is being moved from pillar to post by a man with no vision but he's had his head turned. He was appalling at the start of the season and even now has allowed Kelly's cautiousness to affect his game and has gone from postiive to negative or neutral in his play.

That wouldn't do for me I'm afraid. He's not helped by having people around him who can't pass, can't keep a move going and can't cover him and I'd rectify that by putting people around him who could do those things. But he'd have to re-focus and become the positive, attacking player I know he can be.

If he's so soft he'd let Kelly change his approach then he'd be too weak-willed for me.

Sheehan's in the last chance saloon and, like Manwell, I don't believe he's ever going to get out. But I would want to play him in a proper football team to find out once and for all whether he is capable of making the contribution I believed he could make.

Ironically, every one of the players you mention has one thing in common. They need to be playing in a football team, not the sort of excuse for a team we've got right now and that's not aimed at any individual because we've a fairly honest bunch of players individually, some of whom took part in the complete destruction of a near-atable topping Shefield United side .

It's about collective flow. I said it wasn't there over a year ago. And it's certainly not there now. Many of our players are underperforming for no other reason than because the balance of the team isn't right. And because our tactics aren't right. And that's down to Kelly.

I totally understand Thracian's view of getting the youngsters in the team, and seeing how they get on.

There's something really satisfying in seeing one of our young players doing well.

But i think we're not going to see it.

I think the problem may be that we're never going to have a stable enough team.

If the team was doing well, then you could justify bringing in some of the youngsters.

Also, if we were doing really poor, theres an argument that we could just give them a go and see what happens.

But, with LCFC, as it has been for a number of years now, we just seem to do the minimum. Constant up's and downs. Promises of good performance, followed by shocking defeats to average teams.

It's very difficult to introduce young players in these sorts of enviroments. Its not benefical to them to be playing in a team that is unconsistant.

I don't thing there's any justification for playing the likes of King, etc. when players like Williams and Hughes are in the squad.

But on the other hand, there's also justification in saying, 'give them a chance, otherwise we'll never see what could happen'.....

I think it's down to personal opinion. There's no questioning there ability. Maybe the question lies with RK, and whether he will give them a chance.

Sadly i feel the answer is no, and he will stick with the squad as it is.

Archived