Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Weso Back ?

Fully Fit Foxes Ready For Battle

0,,10274~2995330,00.jpg

Rob Kelly looks set to go into Saturday's Championship clash against Barnsley with a near clean bill of health.

Midfielder Andy Johnson definitely misses the game following an ankle operation last week.

But apart from that Kelly will have a fully fit squad to choose from - including James Wesolowski (shin) and Darren Kenton (calf) who have been carrying knocks of late.

He said: "Things aren't looking too bad on the injury front at the moment, which is good news.

"James and Darren have both trained today (Thursday), so we are only currently without Andy Johnson through injury.

"We've got a very busy time coming up, so we need everyone fit and healthy.

"We remain focused on the task in hand."

Meanwhile, Kelly will be without the services of Alan Maybury for the game after the defender picked up his fifth booking of the season in the 2-1 victory over Wolves last weekend.

Stick Weso in and risk him. Let him play his game and if he picks up a knock let him run it off. Keep playing him. These knocks he picks up aren't serious, take a risk and he'll probably shake all of them off when he's fully fit and had a consistent number of games under his belt.

That's me being reckless though.

Stick Weso in and risk him. Let him play his game and if he picks up a knock let him run it off. Keep playing him. These knocks he picks up aren't serious, take a risk and he'll probably shake all of them off when he's fully fit and had a consistent number of games under his belt.

Dont agree.

The lads still recovering from a number of serious injuries.

the last thing he needs is to be risked again !

I think RK will do the right thing and put him on the bench, hopefully for him to play a role in the second half.

As I've mentioned before I'd much rather see him building his confidence again with some reserves matches or even loan matches. But they'll do their own thing.

And even if he did play he's another who's essentially an attack-breaking player and we have enough of them. Kenton's another and even Johnson these days might pick the odd pass out but he'll never pass and move nor will he ever threaten the opposition goal.

You can name a whole raft of such people: Hughes, Maybury, Tiatto, Wesolowski, Kenton, Johnson.

They're all solid at limiting the opposition's progress but none of them have real effect as attackers. That is they neither make nor score goals other than occasionally. In fact they rarely get into the penatly box at all.

Honest and reasonably capable foot soldiers.

Even with everyone available I'd sooner have a proper attacker with Williams. I've mentioned King but it really doesn't matter. If people prefer to spend chunks of money drafting someone in from elsewhere why would I care?

But if you play such an attack-mined midfiedler with Williams there's only room for one of the six foot soldiers.

That means 4-3-3 if you want a balanced and threatening side, unless you played Porter on the right and Welsh/Tiatto on the left, assuming either were capable of a full 90 minutes, which I'd doubt.

Otherwise I could see us playing at home with only 3 potential goalscorers and perhaps three other players representing half a chance of scoring. It's just not good enough if people are honest, however much they might wish to select those solid midfielders I mentioned.

I actually agree with that. RK is being too soft with the lad, he is picking up the same knocks that most other people get and then shake off.

I actually agree with that. RK is being too soft with the lad, he is picking up the same knocks that most other people get and then shake off.

Medically, I'm not sure it's quite as simple as that. I seem to recall someone who sounded as if they were studying medicine explained it quite well the other week but I've forgotten the details.

If we had a reserve team still, we could break him in gently.

We don't have a reserve team and the only way to get him fit is to get him playing games. What choice do we have? We need to get him into games early - start with a 30 minute appearance at the end of the Barnsley game. Bring him on at the half in the next game and then start him in the third.

Time to bring out the Weso. :ph34r:

Can i just comment that irrelevant of injuries, the question on my mind is what is happening with some players? Nisse, Dodds, Sylla, Gradel...Some havent even played reserve fitness matches! I say we make a list of people we want out to present to the eventual owner of the club. I'd start with the one with the silky voice obsessed with pigeons.

If we had a reserve team still, we could break him in gently.

We don't have a reserve team and the only way to get him fit is to get him playing games. What choice do we have? We need to get him into games early - start with a 30 minute appearance at the end of the Barnsley game. Bring him on at the half in the next game and then start him in the third.

Time to bring out the Weso. :ph34r:

I understand thedilemma but the first team is not the place for some hit or miss fitness training.

I understand thedilemma but the first team is not the place for some hit or miss fitness training.

It's not just fitness training with Weso. It's also psychologically getting over two career-threatening injuries. As Mr. Flair suggests, some of it is about going out there: twisting joints, tugging muscles, getting kicked and feeling pain. And re-learning that almost all of the time, it isn't serious. A full-on league game can be the best place to work that out - rather than a gentle canter in the reserves where you don't have to risk commitment.

a loan deal for a month would be ideal if we didnt need him so much.

Can't loan him out to anyone for another two weeks at least anyway, so that's not much use. :thumbup:

Besides, I think the club would rather a player returning from injury remains with us, rather than loaning him out to someone who has less interest in his long-term fitness etc.

As I've mentioned before I'd much rather see him building his confidence again with some reserves matches or even loan matches. But they'll do their own thing.

And even if he did play he's another who's essentially an attack-breaking player and we have enough of them. Kenton's another and even Johnson these days might pick the odd pass out but he'll never pass and move nor will he ever threaten the opposition goal.

You can name a whole raft of such people: Hughes, Maybury, Tiatto, Wesolowski, Kenton, Johnson.

They're all solid at limiting the opposition's progress but none of them have real effect as attackers. That is they neither make nor score goals other than occasionally. In fact they rarely get into the penatly box at all.

Even with everyone available I'd sooner have a proper attacker with Williams. I've mentioned King but it really doesn't matter. If people prefer to spend chunks of money drafting someone in from elsewhere why would I care?

But if you play such an attack-mined midfiedler with Williams there's only room for one of the six foot soldiers.

That means 4-3-3 if you want a balanced and threatening side, unless you played Porter on the right and Welsh/Tiatto on the left, assuming either were capable of a full 90 minutes, which I'd doubt.

Otherwise I could see us playing at home with only 3 potential goalscorers and perhaps three other players representing half a chance of scoring. It's just not good enough if people are honest, however much they might wish to select those solid midfielders I mentioned.

Sorry but I just don't agree with this. Ok, so Weso is a defensive midfielder as such but all teams need one or two good tacklers and sensible passers. You frighten me with some of your analysis. Wouldn't you of had Neil Lennon in your team under O'Neill or Makelele in the Chelsea team? I know we also have some other defence minded players but that shouldn't prevent Weso from playing if he's fit. Kelly should replace those with Wesolowski, surely you can see that?.

On a completely different note, did you watch the academy as much as you do now when Wesolowski was in it a few years ago? The reason I asked is because every person i've ever spoken to who watched the youths a few years ago were stunned by how good Jimbo was and i've never seen a youngster be as dominant in an age group as him over the years. You talk up some of the players in our current academy and I agree with what you say most of the time, but i'd have loved to have seen your reactions on a forum regarding Weso when he was 16/17.

Sorry but I just don't agree with this. Ok, so Weso is a defensive midfielder as such but all teams need one or two good tacklers and sensible passers. You frighten me with some of your analysis. Wouldn't you of had Neil Lennon in your team under O'Neill or Makelele in the Chelsea team? I know we also have some other defence minded players but that shouldn't prevent Weso from playing if he's fit. Kelly should replace those with Wesolowski, surely you can see that?.

On a completely different note, did you watch the academy as much as you do now when Wesolowski was in it a few years ago? The reason I asked is because every person i've ever spoken to who watched the youths a few years ago were stunned by how good Jimbo was and i've never seen a youngster be as dominant in an age group as him over the years. You talk up some of the players in our current academy and I agree with what you say most of the time, but i'd have loved to have seen your reactions on a forum regarding Weso when he was 16/17.

You perhaps misunderstand me. Of course I would have a tackling midfielder. I just don't want a set of them!

And there is no question in my mind that the tackling midfielder should be Wesolowski. Why? Because at his best he can pass quickly and accurately when he's won the ball.

I didn't watch the Academy during Weso's emergence but I've been happy to accept your word and I saw him enough last season to be perfectly convinced that he is the man.

But last season's Weso was fit, sharp and passed the ball immediately when he won it. This year's does none of those things as yet,and that suggests he's nowhere near ready.

And, if that assessment's right, with him being such a potentially precious player, I wouldn't be inclined to risk rushing him back again because there's only so many comebacks you can make with a broken leg. I did warn about it last time if you recall.

However if I'm wrong and should the old Weso suddenly emerge then I don't want any more prompting midfielders thanks.

I'll be perfectly happy that he can do the job of winning the ball and distributing it quickly and efficiently to creative colleagues like Williams and King.

To me Weso would give King the insurance when he attacks that Tommy Tejan-Sie offers in the Academy.

You perhaps misunderstand me. Of course I would have a tackling midfielder. I just don't want a set of them!

And there is no question in my mind that the tackling midfielder should be Wesolowski. Why? Because at his best he can pass quickly and accurately when he's won the ball.

I didn't watch the Academy during Weso's emergence but I've been happy to accept your word and I saw him enough last season to be perfectly convinced that he is the man.

But last season's Weso was fit, sharp and passed the ball immediately when he won it. This year's does none of those things as yet,and that suggests he's nowhere near ready.

And, if that assessment's right, with him being such a potentially precious player, I wouldn't be inclined to risk rushing him back again because there's only so many comebacks you can make with a broken leg. I did warn about it last time if you recall.

However if I'm wrong and should the old Weso suddenly emerge then I don't want any more prompting midfielders thanks.

I'll be perfectly happy that he can do the job of winning the ball and distributing it quickly and efficiently to creative colleagues like Williams and King.

To me Weso would give King the insurance when he attacks that Tommy Tejan-Sie offers in the Academy.

Good stuff.

I just hope we get to see a few more games like Villa this season, QPR away and Wolves at home from last season where he ran the show and didn't let anything get past him.

That would be Stephen Hughes, our joint second highest goal scorer this season, who never threatens the goal then?

EDIT: Oh and that would be Danny Tiatto who probabley has the leading amount of assists and one goal to his name.

Archived