Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
lookwhaticando

What do you think about...

The moderators at FoxesTalk  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, rate the performance of the moderators over all

    • 1 (terrible)
      10
    • 2
      11
    • 3
      25
    • 4
      8
    • 5 (brilliant)
      4
  2. 2. Do you suspect double-standards are being applied by mods?

    • No - they treat everyone fairly and evenly.
      12
    • Yes - Some 'crap' posts are removed while others are not - dependent upon the poster.
      46
  3. 3. Which, if any, of the following do you percieve to be the biggest problem relating to the moderating team?

    • Favouritism or Double-Standards
      23
    • Abuse of moderation powers
      3
    • Lack of communication relating to moderated posts
      14
    • A particular moderator (you suspect one mod of doing the 'heaviest' moderation)
      6
    • There are no problems.
      12


Recommended Posts

Posted

Most Mods on here do a decent job, I suspect they all have off days like me and you and delete things that they wouldn't normally.

There is favouritism goin on but u cannot blame them as they are on here most of the day and will develop 'special relationships' with people.

Cant remember who said it earlier but FT is bit like a pub and new members do need to be careful when posting, when I first joined I was a bit trigger happy with posting and I got shot down a few times. Initially you do take it personally but then realise its all for the greater good of the FT.

I like the use of "special relationships", I'm just being immature and it's making me giggle

On a side note I've just realised I've had a post deleted IN THIS VERY THREAD!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, fook YOU MODERATORS!!

Either that or I just never got round to posting it, I can't remember.

Posted
' date='Dec 30 2006, 12:26 PM' post='488356']

I like the use of "special relationships", I'm just being immature and it's making me giggle

On a side note I've just realised I've had a post deleted IN THIS VERY THREAD!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, fook YOU MODERATORS!!

Either that or I just never got round to posting it, I can't remember.

That's the kind of spunky attitude we want to see more of :appl:

Posted

I like the use of "special relationships", I'm just being immature and it's making me giggle

On a side note I've just realised I've had a post deleted IN THIS VERY THREAD!!

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH, fook YOU MODERATORS!!

Either that or I just never got round to posting it, I can't remember.

Wasn't me.

I value our special relationship.

Posted

Easy for some to say, considering some of the less-known members don't have the ' special relationships ' that known members do.

It's a myth. I get on quite well with a couple of people on here who get stuff deleted all the time. For every person who gets away with posting crap because they are a mod or are mates with most of the mods, there are ten who get stuff deleted with good reason.

Posted

Tbh, and to be blunt, anyone who doesn't like the moderation here should just fook off and make your own board. Then see how good you are at moderation.

I mean if you dont enjoy posting here, wtf's the point? And if you do - who cares?

Posted

Tbh, and to be blunt, anyone who doesn't like the moderation here should just fook off and make your own board. Then see how good you are at moderation.

I mean if you dont enjoy posting here, wtf's the point? And if you do - who cares?

i think you've said it all there.

Posted

Dunno, I just hope if people keep stirring we'll have a contender for most melodramatic thread of the year, tbh. ;)

I'm waiting for the toys to REALLY come out of the pram.

Posted

Some people are treated fine, some people aren't.

The people who are fine just seem to think the other members are over-exaggerating and theres no real problem. There is.

It;s not a problem because IT'S AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.

Seriously, is posting that important to you?

To be honest I don't care if I get a post deleted, so what?

I have more important things to worry about than whether people see the whimsical ramblings of an invariably drunk and/or bored student (that's me by the way).

Anyway, I think the no moderation experiment should go ahead for the next few weeks, so people can gauge what kind of job the moderators do.

Posted

Some people are treated fine, some people aren't.

The people who are fine just seem to think the other members are over-exaggerating and theres no real problem. There is.

What are you? 12?

Posted

No offence Dave but you look a bit ropey for 14. You want to use the same moisturiser as The Singh.

It's because I still choke the monkey as many times a day as I did at that age...it takes its toll you know.

Posted

What people don't seem to realise is that mods and admin have to trawl through every post on the site and when you repeatedly see the same offenders posting utter crap (and I don't mean off topic or banter - I mean two word replies for no reason), then of course they are going to get stuff deleted. I would stand by 99.9% of what gets deleted by anyone, not just myself, being the correct decision. We're only human and once or twice there will be stuff that is deleted contentiously.

As for favouritism, it's just human judgment. I'm hardly likely to delete "off-topic" posts by people I've met and like as I invariably find them funny or entertaining. There's one poster who's a good mate of mine whose stuff gets deleted all the time by someone else.

The biggest joke of all is the "A particular moderator (you suspect one mod of doing the 'heaviest' moderation)" option. As soon as one particular mod puts their head above the parapet to explain why something was deleted, they get accused of deleting everything left, right and centre.

Believe me, if everything we deleted by certain posters stayed on the forum, this place would be much the worse for it.

These are my views, I am not speaking for mods/admin as a whole, etc etc blah blah blah.

To be fair, if the moderator in question isn't known, people will just assume. That's probably worse.

I've actually raised this in private discussion elsewhere. My opinion is that if all mods stood up and said 'I did this' then perhaps such unfair criticism would occur less. A little more transparency and communication would go a fair distance - after all, it can't be much fun for you guys to be accused of being heavy-handed all the time.

Posted

To be fair, if the moderator in question isn't known, people will just assume. That's probably worse.

I've actually raised this in private discussion elsewhere. My opinion is that if all mods stood up and said 'I did this' then perhaps such unfair criticism would occur less. A little more transparency and communication would go a fair distance - after all, it can't be much fun for you guys to be accused of being heavy-handed all the time.

To be honest, I think it's quite funny. As Finnegan says, people can always go elsewhere if they don't like it. I'm happy with the job I do and I don't think there's much of an issue. If certain people put the effort they put into complaining about mods into actually posting something worthwhile in the first place, there wouldn't be an issue at all.

Posted

...it can't be much fun for you guys to be accused of being heavy-handed all the time.

This accusation doesn't happen - it is just coming from a small minority of members via this thread.

You have complained about a matter that has been dealt with and Brummie-Fox has complained about a post being deleted that (upon inspection) deserved deleting.

No one - NO ONE - has complained about any other single, actual incident that appertains to them. (Bertie still has to reply to a PM).

My philosophy is that if I am unhappy with something then I either try to work proactively to change it or I move on and ignore it. To your credit, you are the only member that is complaining about an issue and suggesting a way forward.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

At this moment in time the results seem to point to two issues:

Perceived Favouritism & Lack of communication relating to moderated posts

The first can only be combated if examples are given and none have been forthcoming. It has been requested that anyone with concerns about this matter PM's me with a link to the relevant post - I have not received one PM on this matter.

Mods and Admin are not going to notify everyone every time a merge, move or delete takes place. If anyone finds this unacceptable then the solution is to move to another forum (to discover the same is done there). This is not to say we can not improve.

I like your idea of closing threads with a final message as to why, rather than deleting them...but only for certain circumstances and then only for a short period of time prior to deletion. Spam, porn and the like have to be deleted right away ... and a proliferation of closed threads ion the LCFC forum would just start to choke it up. Far too many people post threads where one already exists.

Also, people perceive their posts to have been deleted when in reality they have been merged into a previously existing thread. This could have been avoided if people checked prior to posting...but rarely do.

As has been stated many times, this is a forum for all of us. The Admin & Mod team strive to make this an enjoyable and informative place to be...we don't want money, love or respect for it...we don't expect pats on the back - we do expect people to accept responsibility for keeping the forum a good place to be. The rules are loose because it should be possible for everyone to exhibit a level of common sense and when they can't we rely on the members to help us to help them.

We can, and do, make mistakes...we are human. To want more than that from volunteers in a free forum is ridiculous; we are not going to be perfect and we are not going to keep all of you happy all of the time.

Posted

Right, who voted anything dereogatory?

Cos I can find out you know and you will be banned.

Ungrateful buggers the lorrof yer I tell you!

Posted

What a lovely thread. Im glad LWICD brought this up. Shame that others can't see the other side to the story.

It's not that we can't see. It's that we don't care.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...