Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jump to content
lookwhaticando

What do you think about...

The moderators at FoxesTalk  

58 members have voted

  1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5, rate the performance of the moderators over all

    • 1 (terrible)
      10
    • 2
      11
    • 3
      25
    • 4
      8
    • 5 (brilliant)
      4
  2. 2. Do you suspect double-standards are being applied by mods?

    • No - they treat everyone fairly and evenly.
      12
    • Yes - Some 'crap' posts are removed while others are not - dependent upon the poster.
      46
  3. 3. Which, if any, of the following do you percieve to be the biggest problem relating to the moderating team?

    • Favouritism or Double-Standards
      23
    • Abuse of moderation powers
      3
    • Lack of communication relating to moderated posts
      14
    • A particular moderator (you suspect one mod of doing the 'heaviest' moderation)
      6
    • There are no problems.
      12


Recommended Posts

Posted

At a wild guess the answers are Mark and he doesn't make money from FoxesTalk in that order. ;)

mark who?

Posted

In my opinion, there are so many things that the moderators do wrong. I know it must be a hard job but there are many things where it can be improved.

Now I haven't been a moderator and to be honest I don't see myself becoming one on Foxestalk. You would probably say I don’t have the right to judge moderators but let me share my opinion..

Q1: On a scale of 1-5, rate the performance of the moderators overall:

1

2

3

4

5

For this I voted 2. So lets think of 2 things that I dislike about their performances. One thing I hate, not just on forums/message boards but mostly anything, is favouritism. Moderators like Dave would know that I like to complain about my problems. My post count is about 850 right now. I would have thought that if messages that had been deleted got removed from the post count, the total amount of posts I would have is about 550.

Also, there are some members with a higher reputation than others seem to get the better treatment of moderators. Lets face it, if they post a totally irrelevant message, the chances are it might get deleted. I found when I had around 100 posts, my irrelevant posts were being removed, without much consideration.

Q2: Do you suspect double-standards are being applied by moderators?

No - they treat everybody fairly and evenly.

Yes - Some crap posts are removed while others are not - depending upon the poster.

Now looking back on what I said, the answer must clearly be yes, and thats what I voted. I think what I said fully explains my opinion so I won't bother repeating it. Agree with me or not, I don't give a toss.

Q3: Which of the following, if any, do you perceive to be the biggest problem relating to the moderating team?

Favouritism or Double standards

Abuse of moderation powers

Lack of communication relating to moderated posts

A particular moderator (you suspect one moderator of doing the ‘heaviest’ moderation

There are no problems.

For this, I could have voted for 1,3 or 4.

Once again, I posted my opinions on favouritism/Double standards so look up to question 1.

If you read the thread that Bertfox had made on the User help and Suggestion thread, you would have seen my problem. To my surprise the thread has now actually been deleted, but I'll say again. Ive had a posting topic ban since mid December. Now I thought it was a week ban, but it still hasn't been removed. So I've Pm'd Mark TWICE, and I haven't had a reply. Thanks to Dave who had the decency and actually found the time to reply, but unfortunately the response wasn't much help. To this day.. The ban still hasn't been removed. Quite clearly in the rules it says:

What users can expect from the moderators:

An explanation as to why you have been temporarily/permanently banned/had posting rights removed.

Even from an admin, I cannot get a response. What is the point of having rules when nobody bothers to look at them and obey them?

And of course, number four. I think I have insulted the moderators/admins enough so I won’t bother naming names.

So thanks to LWICD for creating this thread, and also to lcfc_jme who persuaded me to have a look and to post an essay on my harsh opinions.

Cheers.

Posted

My main issue is the double-standards where some more established posters do not have items deleted like the rest of us when these items turn out to be very similar. However I think the fact that LCFC fans have this site to air their views is a credit to the moderators and admin that help it to go on.

Posted

Jeez, I see the sarcasm bypass was a success then. As was the humourectomy?

Perhaps if some people didn't take things so seriously......

Like I said, it's the psychological element that interests me about all this.

I don't think any of the moderators are bad people per se but it's fascinating to see what happens when some normal people are given a little bit of power over their peers. It's like the Stanford Prison Experiment or something. The extraordinary self-delusion of certain mods refusing to see fault in their own behaviour in spite of the overwhelming evidence adds another dimension to this that's also interesting to study.

I find it ironic that those moderators who have been forced to face up to their own fallibility are now changing tack. We're not perfect, and yes we enjoy the thrill of throwing our weight about a little too much, but lighten up it's only the t'internet. Which pathetic jobsworth moderator deleted posts which jokingly accused Titus Bramble of the Ipswich prossie stranglings? Titus Bramble is as likely to read FT and sue over those comments as he is to be the Suffolk Ripper. Despite this, none of the other moderators told Pathetic Jobsworth to stop taking the internet so seriously, did they?

There was no need to delete those posts, but Pathetic Jobsworth couldn't help himself. He had the chance to exercise some common sense but something about the chance to exercise power instead proved irresistable. It's fascinating to observe.

Posted

If you don't delete posts by that twat, you aren't really a mod. :thumbup:

Careful, you'll give away that he's spending his Christmas in Florida in a cybercafe waiting for someone to slag him off on here. :whistle::D

Nadolig llawen i chi!

Posted

There is definetly favouritism amongst other posters.

The double standards on here are as bad as i've ever seen before. How can one poster, make an irrelevant post to a topic and not got it deleted but other members can't? And then when questioned upon, you get ignored.

Admin/Mod say Rararara or whatever about deleting people's posts, but if they have the time to delete a post, surely a quick pm explaining on why the post was deleted wouldn't be so bad.

All people want is a bit of consistency or the same treatment as other posters, but i guess that's too damn hard when there are posters on here that people dislike for whatever reason it may be.

Posted

There is definetly favouritism amongst other posters.

The double standards on here are as bad as i've ever seen before. How can one poster, make an irrelevant post to a topic and not got it deleted but other members can't? And then when questioned upon, you get ignored.

Admin/Mod say Rararara or whatever about deleting people's posts, but if they have the time to delete a post, surely a quick pm explaining on why the post was deleted wouldn't be so bad.

All people want is a bit of consistency or the same treatment as other posters, but i guess that's too damn hard when there are posters on here that people dislike for whatever reason it may be.

If you can not be specific, direct or courteous then, I am afraid, you are hardly likely to receive a reply that meets your satisfaction.

Posted

I STARTED A TOPIC WHICH WAS COMPLETLY IGNORED AND HAD OTHER POSTERS BACKING.

ALSO IT WAS PRETTY DAMN OBVIOUS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO.

Posted

I STARTED A TOPIC WHICH WAS COMPLETLY IGNORED AND HAD OTHER POSTERS BACKING.

ALSO IT WAS PRETTY DAMN OBVIOUS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO.

Calm yerself down Berteh you'lll give yourself an hernia :unsure::ph34r:

Posted
if they have the time to delete a post, surely a quick pm explaining on why the post was deleted wouldn't be so bad.
:banghead: Haven't you read anything on this thread?

As for those who claim that some posters don't get their posts deleted, it's a load of poppycock. Unless you're on here 24/7 and have seen absolutely everything that is posted, how the hell can you know a supposed "favourite's" posts haven't been deleted.

I would like to point out for the benefit of Lemon Harpic that I am wearing something along the lines of military styling. I'm off now to give the other half a beating, I feel so empowered now.

Posted

100% agree with bertfox. I saw his thread on the UH+S Category and got deleted, yet it had mine, lcfc_jme and Anish's backing.

Like I say, being a mod may be tiring. However, why should they delete topics where the thread starter is seeking an answer?

And considering how angry bert seems to be, he obviously had no PM by a admin/moderator either.

Posted

What people don't seem to realise is that mods and admin have to trawl through every post on the site and when you repeatedly see the same offenders posting utter crap (and I don't mean off topic or banter - I mean two word replies for no reason), then of course they are going to get stuff deleted. I would stand by 99.9% of what gets deleted by anyone, not just myself, being the correct decision. We're only human and once or twice there will be stuff that is deleted contentiously.

As for favouritism, it's just human judgment. I'm hardly likely to delete "off-topic" posts by people I've met and like as I invariably find them funny or entertaining. There's one poster who's a good mate of mine whose stuff gets deleted all the time by someone else.

The biggest joke of all is the "A particular moderator (you suspect one mod of doing the 'heaviest' moderation)" option. As soon as one particular mod puts their head above the parapet to explain why something was deleted, they get accused of deleting everything left, right and centre.

Believe me, if everything we deleted by certain posters stayed on the forum, this place would be much the worse for it.

These are my views, I am not speaking for mods/admin as a whole, etc etc blah blah blah.

Posted

Fezz is a fair moderator. As far as I know he has deleted 1 post/topic (maybe more) of mine.

However, he pm'd me explaining why it had been removed.

If I get posts removed, fine. I don't give a toss. All I want is an explanation as to why its been removed.

I didn't even have to ask him. I usually have to stalk the mods/admins to give me an answer.

Posted

However, why should they delete topics where the thread starter is seeking an answer?

And considering how angry bert seems to be, he obviously had no PM by a admin/moderator either.

Has Bertie PM'd a Mod?

As you well know BF, anyone that PM's me gets a prompt reply...and if they are polite then I try my best to resolve their dilemma ~ as I have for you a few times.

The ridiculous hysteria that seems to have been generated by a few posters over (what seems to be) absolutely nothing does not seek to resolve issues in a productive manner. We all share this forum and I feel we need to focus on solutions not problems. This communication thing works two ways - people can not demand PM's from the team without having the decency to consider doing the same thing. Also, if people have complaints or questions then posting drunk and/or in CAPITAL LETTERS is no way to go about resolving it.

I have taken the time to write to all of you citing some kind of direct grievance - to date only you have replied with an unresolved issue. One other member has replied about an issue that had already been dealt with.

Posted

I wasn't around at the time but I'll give him an answer;

I don't think that would have been deleted if it had been posted by anyone else.

As for the "crap by other people remaining" thing, it's HUMAN JUDGMENT! If it stays on here, then we obviously don't think it's crap. The only way you can have an influence on what is deemed "crap" and what is not is by becoming a moderator. That is the harsh reality.

Posted

Has Bertie PM'd a Mod?

As you well know BF, anyone that PM's me gets a prompt reply...and if they are polite then I try my best to resolve their dilemma ~ as I have for you a few times.

The ridiculous hysteria that seems to have been generated by a few posters over (what seems to be) absolutely nothing does not seek to resolve issues in a productive manner. We all share this forum and I feel we need to focus on solutions not problems. This communication thing works two ways - people can not demand PM's from the team without having the decency to consider doing the same thing. Also, if people have complaints or questions then posting drunk and/or in CAPITAL LETTERS is no way to go about resolving it.

I have taken the time to write to all of you citing some kind of direct grievance - to date only you have replied with an unresolved issue. One other member has replied about an issue that had already been dealt with.

You'll have to ask him. If its been deleted, then a mod/admin has obviously noticed the thread.

And if we need to find solutions, we need to know the problem, don't we? :D

Posted

Most Mods on here do a decent job, I suspect they all have off days like me and you and delete things that they wouldn't normally.

There is favouritism goin on but u cannot blame them as they are on here most of the day and will develop 'special relationships' with people.

Cant remember who said it earlier but FT is bit like a pub and new members do need to be careful when posting, when I first joined I was a bit trigger happy with posting and I got shot down a few times. Initially you do take it personally but then realise its all for the greater good of the FT.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...