Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

Strikers..

Ok, there is a lot of transfer talk going on, and most of it surrounds possible forward additions. But, do we really need any more strikers?

Personally, I think that Hume/Fryatt/Hammond are perfectly capable and up to standards ;)

Your views?

Well something needs to be done to up the scoring rate, look at the goals for and the top goal scoreres and compare them to our strikers:

Pos

Team P W D L F A GD Pts

1 Birmingham City 27 16 5 6 46 26 20 53

2 Derby County 27 15 5 7 36 28 8 50

3 Preston North End 27 13 8 6 40 28 12 47

4 West Bromwich Albion 28 13 7 8 51 33 18 46

5 Southampton 27 12 9 6 44 32 12 45

6 Colchester United 27 13 4 10 45 30 15 43

7 Stoke City 26 12 7 7 35 21 14 43

8 Cardiff City 27 11 10 6 36 28 8 43

9 Wolverhampton Wanderers 27 12 6 9 28 29 -1 42

10 Sunderland 27 12 4 11 36 32 4 40

11 Sheffield Wednesday 27 11 7 9 39 37 2 40

12 Burnley 26 10 7 9 32 28 4 37

13 Plymouth Argyle 27 8 12 7 33 34 -1 36

14 Ipswich Town 27 10 5 12 37 37 0 35

15 Crystal Palace 27 9 7 11 31 32 -1 34

16 Coventry City 27 10 4 13 25 31 -6 34

17 Norwich City 27 9 7 11 34 42 -8 34

18 Leicester City 27 8 8 11 26 34 -8 32

19 Luton Town 28 8 7 13 37 48 -11 31

20 Queens Park Rangers 27 8 6 13 34 41 -7 30

21 Hull City 27 7 6 14 27 38 -11 27

22 Barnsley 27 7 5 15 29 47 -18 26

23 Leeds United 27 7 3 17 27 49 -22 24

24 Southend United 27 4 9 14 22 45 -23 21

Player Team Goals Robert Earnshaw Norwich City stats_bar.gif 17

Grzegorz Rasiak Southampton stats_bar.gif 16

Jamie Cureton Colchester United stats_bar.gif 13

Chris Iwelumo Colchester United stats_bar.gif 13

Gary McSheffrey Birmingham City stats_bar.gif 12

Michael Chopra Cardiff City stats_bar.gif 12

Rowan Vine Luton Town stats_bar.gif 12

Diomansy Kamara West Bromwich Albion stats_bar.gif 12

Andy Gray Burnley stats_bar.gif 10

Steve Howard Derby County stats_bar.gif 10

Player Goals Iain Hume stats_bar.gif 8

Patrick Kisnorbo stats_bar.gif 6

Elvis Hammond stats_bar.gif 4

Levi Porter stats_bar.gif 3

Stephen Hughes stats_bar.gif 3

Richard Stearman stats_bar.gif 3

Patrick McCarthy stats_bar.gif 2

Matt Fryatt stats_bar.gif 2

Danny Cadamarteri stats_bar.gif 1

Chris O`Grady stats_bar.gif 1

Ok, there is a lot of transfer talk going on, and most of it surrounds possible forward additions. But, do we really need any more strikers?

Personally, I think that Hume/Fryatt/Hammond are perfectly capable and up to standards ;)

Your views?

Yes we do.

We definitely need more strikers, but more urgently better midfielders. That is where a lot of our problems have lay all season.

we should get rid of o'grady and hammond bring one striker in to replace then and have dodds as back up if we get injuries

we should get rid of o'grady and hammond bring one striker in to replace then and have dodds as back up if we get injuries

We should get rid of a lot of sh*t masquerading as footballers. We seem to be trying to do that with Sylla & Low both gone. If Elvis & O'Grady were to go, I wouldn't be too sad, but we would need to bring in a big powerful forward, something we are severely lacking. You only have to see the damage Mooney caused Chelsea in the cup to see how effective this is.

We should get rid of a lot of sh*t masquerading as footballers. We seem to be trying to do that with Sylla & Low both gone. If Elvis & O'Grady were to go, I wouldn't be too sad, but we would need to bring in a big powerful forward, something we are severely lacking. You only have to see the damage Mooney caused Chelsea in the cup to see how effective this is.

Danny C's hardly a giant but has a bit more weight on him. If we somehow get the best out of him again then it will go some way towards solving that problem.

I bet Dodds would be really encouraged reading this thread.

There is no way - not any way at all - that Dodds would get to the middle of a season with no more than two goals to his name in any standard of football.

Twenty-odd games? I'd say 6 goals minimum even with such a piss-poor supply chain and more than that if we get a proper right winger, a proper left back and a genuinely attacking central midfield player.

Hume good... Fryatt is still yet to show his worth and Hammond is (without doubting his enthusiasm) cack, Dodds needs to be given a shot as he's been consistently proving himself at every level but the first team and should either be given a chance in the first team or sent out on loan to a decent club in a decent league (if somone as out of form as Fryatt is getting their chance why no Dodds!?).

Beyond that we probably do need to bring in a striker who can hold up and/or work as a target man... would probably be a pricey buy but i think that that one signing is all that is needed in terms of strikers, the really weak area is the midfield and its needs addressing promptly loan signings from the prem or this division in the short term and then a proper effort at a permanent solution in the summer (along with the managment, coaching staff and about a third of the playing staff).

The noises were being made about O`Grady and he hasnt set the world alight thus far so whats to guarantee Dodds is theback-up man?!!

I think it all depends on what we want to achieve. Birmingham have spent £11m on 3 Championship strikers in Vine, Jerome and McSheffery whilst we have added Hume and Fryatt from the lower leagues. If we want to REALLY compete we have to take the spending up a notch and at least buy players proven in this division and not take punts on the lower leagues all the time (although Hume has done well and Fryatt can hopefully make that grade)

I bet Dodds would be really encouraged reading this thread.

There is no way - not any way at all - that Dodds would get to the middle of a season with no more than two goals to his name in any standard of foottball.

Twenty-odd games? I'd say 6 goals minimum even with such a piss-poor supply chain and more than that if we get a proper right winger, a proper left back and a genuinely attacking central midfield player.

i bet fryatt's really encouraged reading your threads.personally i couldn't give a sh1t what any of the players think of these threads, and i doubt very much they read them anyway.

i bet fryatt's really encouraged reading your threads.personally i couldn't give a sh1t what any of the players think of these threads, and i doubt very much they read them anyway.

I`m not so sure.

These footballers have so much free-time on there hands these days it wouldnt suprise me to hear that some of them joined on and had a read.

I used to run a PBM game (Play By Mail footy game) about 14 years ago and believe it or not I had about 12 "famous" football people in it as managers including commentators and footballers.

What time does footy training finish these days???!! Time enough to spend the day in the bookies thats for sure!!

**lots of stats and numbers** :P

That really is dreadful. If I've looked through those properly and calculated it correctly, we have the second worst goalscoring record in this league?? :blink::S

That is absolutely abysmal. Though it isn't like we do not have the chances to have scored more goals. I would say that we need to invest in another creative midfielder, a right winger and a poacher with experience, so that if there were any loose balls in and around the 6 yard box, he would put them in the back of the net. How we're going to continue avoiding relegation if we don't score enough goals is beyond me. Something needs doing because - purely based on those stats you posted - the current system and players are not doing the business.

i can't believe people are saying hammond is better than Fryatt, hammond is a joke on legs. fryatt 3 years ago was voted in the top ten best players out of the prem. he had an awesome season last year, and so far has been dissapointing due to lack of confidence and because he hasn't played.

its so harsh to say he worse than hammond!!!

fryatt will come through, he's still young.

i can't believe people are saying hammond is better than Fryatt, hammond is a joke on legs. fryatt 3 years ago was voted in the top ten best players out of the prem. he had an awesome season last year, and so far has been dissapointing due to lack of confidence and because he hasn't played.

its so harsh to say he worse than hammond!!!

fryatt will come through, he's still young.

I wish I could be as optimistic as you about Fryatt. He could easily end up as another "nearly-man". When MM takes over he will surely look to bring in a striker (as well as a midfielder and a left back). Fryatt could be an early casualty of the new regime.

If I had a choice between, a new Striker, a good right winger, or a good attacking midfielder (that can actually pass and score), I'd choose the attacking midfielder. A right winger would be okay but we don't have particularly good headers of the ball from open play, a winger may be innefective. Maybe thats why Kelly has being playing Hughes, he can pass rather than cross. A good attacking midfielder could supply the killer pass for Hume or Fryatt.

So I don't think we need a new striker, I think he would still be ineffective.

Archived