Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hebangsthedrums

Captain?

Who should be captain?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Well who?

• Keep Paddy Mac
    • Paddy K
    • Stearman
    • Hume
    • Back to Tiatto
    • Levi :)
    • Weso :)
    • Other (please state in thread)

That line was in response to your list of unjustified bookings etc, and was just one of a number reasons why I thought he wasn't the right person.

So to use that to compare him to Roy Keene is hardly relevant who also had stature, intelligence and motivational skills.

That makes sense - and I can see your point.

I'm just trying to suggest that he isn't the liability that people seem to think he is.

That makes sense - and I can see your point.

I'm just trying to suggest that he isn't the liability that people seem to think he is.

I havent been able to go to as many games as i would have liked this season but why i think paddy mac is a liability is that each time the oppo have the ball and he is the closest defender im nervous.I dont get the same from kissa, nissa, or mcauley. Plus i still think hes poor in the air for his size

What pumpkins voted for Levi?

Before anyone starts pointing fingers it wasn't me. However I did think about it. I remember being appalled earlier in his first team tenure when first Steve Hughes and then Gareth Williams muscled him out of the dead ball kicks.

Now he seems to be back taking his fair share and the much more sensible approach seems to be being employed of horses for courses and using different players for variety.

My point is that Levi seems to have a good appreciation of situations and a bloody good footballing mind. You have to have when you're his size, as Kelly said.

And, for a little bloke, it is encouraging how he's increasingly involved by the senior players.

Hume often looks to him for an outlet ball and he's not the only one. Porter finds himself in lots of positions, from right back to deep centre-midfield to left back and almost everywhere forward of that.

Being officially a left-winger makes him a bit isolated for the captaincy but - just like Weso, he's a bubbly, bouncy confident guy who seems popular with all his team-mates.

More important, he's always aware of what he and the team are trying to do tactically, he doesn't react irresponsibly and he does help people out. Captain's don't have to be giants as Billy Bremner and others have demonstrated.

But in the end I don't think I voted at all.

If it was the Reserves I'd say no question. Porter could be Napoleon in central midfield (which he unquestionably was) and he'd be a cracking captain.

But for now he's a bit young to be first team captain.

He doesn't need the responsibility while he's polishing the skills that will surely take take him to the Premiership.

Sadly I don't think we have an obvious candidate.

Before anyone starts pointing fingers it wasn't me. However I did think about it. I remember being appalled earlier in his first team tenure when first Steve Hughes and then Gareth Williams muscled him out of the dead ball kicks.

Now he seems to be back taking his fair share and the much more sensible approach seems to be being employed of horses for courses and using different players for variety.

My point is that Levi seems to have a good appreciation of situations and a bloody good footballing mind. You have to have when you're his size, as Kelly said.

And, for a little bloke, it is encouraging how he's increasingly involved by the senior players.

Hume often looks to him for an outlet ball and he's not the only one. Porter finds himself in lots of positions, from right back to deep centre-midfield to left back and almost everywhere forward of that.

Being officially a left-winger makes him a bit isolated for the captaincy but - just like Weso, he's a bubbly, bouncy confident guy who seems popular with all his team-mates.

More important, he's always aware of what he and the team are trying to do tactically, he doesn't react irresponsibly and he does help people out. Captain's don't have to be giants as Billy Bremner and others have demonstrated.

If it was the Reserves I'd say no question. Porter could be Napoleon in central midfield (which is unquestionably was) and he'd be a cracking cpatain.

He doesn't need the responsibility while he's polishing the skills that will surely take take him to the Premiership.

I would agree with all of that. I remember Gary Mills (albeit mostly form my dads recounting) being an excellent captain, and although not as small of levi he wasnt the biggest. I think that he lead by example, even though not particularly vocal, he was an ambassador as such, never flustered, never less than 100%

i think levi might be able to do the same, not for a few years, but in his mid twenties certainly. Same with Simon Grayson maybe?

If it was the Reserves I'd say no question. Porter could be Napoleon in central midfield (which is unquestionably was) and he'd be a cracking cpatain.

As you said you do not have to be a dominant figure to be a captain but I always think it helps. If we were 2-0 down and battling to get back in the game I don't think that the players would turn to Porter for inspiration. Although I don't know Levi personally, I don't think that he is very vocal although he is a good team player, he is not captain material for me.

I know you didn't say Porter should be captain so this is not entirely in respone to you.

If we do actually change captains which I don't belive we will then I agree we don't have an obvious leader. Kisnorbo is the only one that would suit it for me out of everybody. As he is constantly in the spine of the team and has shown he can have a postive effect on the game.

I wouldn't expect you to say him to be honest. It's quite clear that he's very talented but still too young really. I'm suprised few have said Hume though. He seems the clear choice to me. I'm probably just being silly, I guess.

Curiously I find myself agreeing with this. That is a major weakness in our side at the moment. If I had to be pushed I actually think Hume is the most vocal, but it's always tricky when you make your captain a striker...

Archived