Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hebangsthedrums

Captain?

Who should be captain?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Well who?

• Keep Paddy Mac
    • Paddy K
    • Stearman
    • Hume
    • Back to Tiatto
    • Levi :)
    • Weso :)
    • Other (please state in thread)

OK first thread I thought I would go for a poll (which ive prob fvcked up).

Seeing as general consensus is Paddy Mac is not in 1st choice CB pairing (correct me if I am wrong), and it seems silly to have you cap on the bench, what does everyone think should happen. I have included the most likely candidates :rolleyes: , but in my view aside from paddy mac theres only paddy k or hume as realistic choice

There was nothing wrong with Tiatto as captain other than he wasn't ALWAYS available.. from that point of view PK is a good pick as he's fairly vocal (although I'd like him to be MORE vocal), is an everpresent (when available) and plays down the spine of the team.

McCarthy has got too much gob and too little concentration.

I thought PK and Humey would both be good.

Had to plum for Humey though, as he works his balls off. Having said that, would being Captain take the edge off his game, like it has for Freddy Flintoff?

Edit:

Having typed this and given it some serious thought, I can see why there are many goalies who are Captain, such as when Mark Wallington (no gloves!) was skipper. Good view of the field, not having to work as hard as an outfielder (even with our 'legendary' defences over the years!), more time to make tactical decisions. So maybe Hendo?

I thought PK and IH would both be good.

Had to plum for IH though, as he works his balls off. Having said that, would being Captain take the edge off his game, like it has for Freddy Flintoff?

I don't think anybody really stands out to be captain, if we are buying in players maybe one of those will be a natural leader!!!

Paddy Mac's communication skills aren't the best and Kisnorbo doesn't seem the vocal type, Tiatto gets himself in too much trouble when captain!!

I agree that the captain should be in the centre of midfiled or defence. I would say Kisnorbo, mainly becuase he is a good centre back as it is and making him captain would only make him better in my view.

But I really do not think Kelly would strip McCarthy of captaincy unless he decides he is not going to be starting at all for the rest of the season in first choice 11

Kisnorbo has been captain in McCarthy's absence, so he's the logical replacement.

Dislike the idea of leading from the front. Humey probably deserves the captaincy for the effort he puts in, but giving the armband to a striker doesn't sit easily with me. Much rather the captain be at the back or in the middle.

There's nobody in the middle I'd consider giving it to, yet. So it'd have to be Paddy Kisnorbo. Stearman would be another option if only he was playing properly. The keeper would be an option, but Henderson's not really all that vocal, is he?

McAuley is a steady defender, but is he really vocal enough either?

if all this talk is true about matt holland signing, why not give it him, hes captained charlton and ipswich, and he is experienced!?

Don't think it would be fair for someone to walk into the team and take the captaincy

if all this talk is true about matt holland signing, why not give it him, hes captained charlton and ipswich, and he is experienced!?

Oh so hypothetical.

Don't believe the hype.

Whoever put that rumour into circulation is wrong.

No Holland.

(I hope so)

I think (and I'm (very generously) prepared to be disagreed with) that Paddy Macarthy should keep the captaincy. He plays with passion - he gives his all for the cause etc.

People talk about his discipline... Can I remind people that he was sent off against Sheff Wed because his original yellow card was awarded (surely that can't be the right word btw - isn't awarded too positive) for dissent after the 2nd worst penalty decision of the season. He then gives away a penalty that wasn't against Colchester. People know that Paddy has his moments of madness - but he had those last season too, and everyone I knew was clamouring for him to be made captain.

His passion shows that he's committed to the cause, and that's what you need in a captain. He's a great player - he should keep it!

I think (and I'm (very generously) prepared to be disagreed with) that Paddy Macarthy should keep the captaincy. He plays with passion - he gives his all for the cause etc.

People talk about his discipline... Can I remind people that he was sent off against Sheff Wed because his original yellow card was awarded (surely that can't be the right word btw - isn't awarded too positive) for dissent after the 2nd worst penalty decision of the season. He then gives away a penalty that wasn't against Colchester. People know that Paddy has his moments of madness - but he had those last season too, and everyone I knew was clamouring for him to be made captain.

His passion shows that he's committed to the cause, and that's what you need in a captain. He's a great player - he should keep it!

That may be true but he also gives away a lot of unnecessary free kicks in dangerous situations.

Even with all that, passion on it's own is not enough, it needs to be channelled into the rest of the team, no disrespect to the guy but he also lacks the intelligence/football brain to be a captain, this can of course be developed but we do not have the luxury of time for him to do that, as a team we are already carrying underperforming, inadequate players.

I do not however believe we have anyone at the club of sufficient stature, intelligence and motivational skills to do the job. MM's first priority for me is to recruit a player fitting that bill and make him the captain.

That may be true but he also gives away a lot of unnecessary free kicks in dangerous situations.

Even with all that, passion on it's own is not enough, it needs to be channelled into the rest of the team, no disrespect to the guy but he also lacks the intelligence/football brain to be a captain, this can of course be developed but we do not have the luxury of time for him to do that, as a team we are already carrying underperforming, inadequate players.

I do not however believe we have anyone at the club of sufficient stature, intelligence and motivational skills to do the job. MM's first priority for me is to recruit a player fitting that bill and make him the captain.

How many more kicks does he give away than anyone else? Take Stearman for example ...

Why should a number of free kicks affect whether or not someone's a captain. What about Roy Keane - hardly the world's cleanest player, but an inspirational captain!

Definitely not Paddy Mac. Terrible captain, cannot lead by example to save his life

It's hard to choose a captain without knowing the players personally to be honest, but I reckon that Kisnorbo would probably make the best one out of the team.

How many more kicks does he give away than anyone else? Take Stearman for example ...

Why should a number of free kicks affect whether or not someone's a captain. What about Roy Keane - hardly the world's cleanest player, but an inspirational captain!

That line was in response to your list of unjustified bookings etc, and was just one of a number reasons why I thought he wasn't the right person.

So to use that to compare him to Roy Keene is hardly relevant who also had stature, intelligence and motivational skills.

I'd say give the captaincy to Paddy Kisnorbo. He has done the job before for us, and seeing as I'd like to see McAuley and Kisnorbo as the CB pairing as opposed to McCarthy and one of the other two, it only seems logical that the more experienced of my favoured CB pairings should wear the captains armband :)

I think McCarthy should remain captain. He can still do a job sometimes although I want to see McAuley play ahead of him just give it to Kisnorbo when he isn't in the side.

Archived