Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milan

Ashley Chambers

That publicity stunt, erm...sorry...i mean debut at 15 wasn't good for the lad. I still remain hopeful he could be a decent player though as long as he keeps his head in the right place.

It is easy to say it was a publicity stunt but if so it was a mighty short one.

Chambers was in cracking form at the time. Playing reserves, Academy and youth International football he was scoring goals for fun.

Trouble is he injured a knee in the Autumn which kept him out of everything until the FA Youth Cup when he was drafted in while still desperately short of match fitness and still managed to wreak havoc without actually seeing City through.

That, more possibly than the first team outing may have been too soon. Now he has injured his knee or knees again and everyone around him is simply hoping he can recover and still retain the speed and instincts which made him such a predatory goalscorer.

For me, if he does, and if he subsequently signs professional forms for City, MM will potentially have a good chunk of his outlay for Leicester City accounted for. But then I think Dodds is a decent striker and he seems about as likely to get a first team game as Mickey Mouse.

So who knows. But whatever I've said about Levein I don't think he used Chambers as a publicity stunt but I do hope the Kid gets to show everyone once again what he was like at the time he was chosen.

Maybe the differrence between chambo and dodds is pace. In the modern game, especially as a striker it is almost a requirement and from what thracian and others have said dodds might not be as quick as deemed necessary. obv players can thrive without it, but you have to be a class act eg RVN, Kuyt, etc.

Anway if chambo turns out as good as he did for me on fm2007 we have nothing to worry about!

Maybe the differrence between chambo and dodds is pace. In the modern game, especially as a striker it is almost a requirement and from what thracian and others have said dodds might not be as quick as deemed necessary. obv players can thrive without it, but you have to be a class act eg RVN, Kuyt, etc.

Anway if chambo turns out as good as he did for me on fm2007 we have nothing to worry about!

Players like Sheringham have proved you don't need pace. If you have pace then that is a good thing but it is not the be all and end all.

Players like Sheringham have proved you don't need pace. If you have pace then that is a good thing but it is not the be all and end all.

True...Sheringham relies on his brain and positioning. It's ok if you don't have pace as a striker but easier if your partner has it. Sheringham can read the ball very well and can always slip a striker with pace away.

that was my point, i think players can thrive with it but need to be very talented to compensate. witness what has been said about elvis elsewhere - i like the guy but with no pace he would be a lower division player at best, with the pace he has he can offer something, albeit limited, to the team. Of course ideally i want a striker with pace and technique, hence the high hopes for chambo who seems to be blessed with a lot of both

That publicity stunt, erm...sorry...i mean debut at 15 wasn't good for the lad. I still remain hopeful he could be a decent player though as long as he keeps his head in the right place.

I agree with you mate. I think it thrust him into the spotlight at the wrong time. Suddenly he became recognised by supporters ahead of any of the other promising youngsters despite some of them being very good footballers too. You get a fair amount of threads saying "what's happened to Chambers?" but many of the other Academy players are able to get on with their progression without expectations from everyone involved with the club. We've got a player called Alieu Jailow or something like that who seems to score whenever he plays at youth team level but he's been unlucky with injuries. You never hear anyone asking after him although he's probably a talented young player too.

I don't truthfully think anyone will know about Dodds until he gets some chances - either here or elsewhere. I've seen much slower strikers than him score lots of goals. And one of them, Arthur Rowley, scored more than anyone else has ever scored.

I don't think Dodds has somehow been sheltered from pacey defenders during his football upbringing - and it is not as if he scored lots of goals against slow defenders and none against quick ones. Dodds scored consistently against every type of opponent from what I saw.

I see no comparison between him and Chambers. Or indeed any other striker at the club. King I've likened to Martin Peters or David Platt in style but with Dodds he's most like a phantom - never really noticed until he scores. But he heads the ball too. Hardly a Chambers attribute.

I don't truthfully think anyone will know about Dodds until he gets some chances - either here or elsewhere. I've seen much slower strikers than him score lots of goals. And one of them, Arthur Rowley, scored more than anyone else has ever scored.

I don't think Dodds has somehow been sheltered from pacey defenders during his football upbringing - and it is not as if he scored lots of goals against slow defenders and none against quick ones. Dodds scored consistently against every type of opponent from what I saw.

I see no comparison between him and Chambers. Or indeed any other striker at the club. King I've likened to Martin Peters or David Platt in style but with Dodds he's most like a phantom - never really noticed until he scores. But he heads the ball too. Hardly a Chambers attribute.

Have a feeling Dodds is the next one out for something like 10k

He is doing pretty well for me too ;)

It's one thing selling O'Grady for £65,000 and Low for £100,000 but if anyone can ring City and buy Dodds for £10,000 it will be Christmas come early.

Nobody will want to pay much more than that for an unproven striker.

Archived