Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

McKay and King lead Academy fightback

Leicester Academy U18 3 Spurs Academy U18 2

Impish striker Billy McKay scored a last seconds 3-2 winner which capped a breathtaking fightback by Leicester City Under 18's who had trailed Tottenham 2-0 at half-time in today's dramatic match at Belvoir Drive.

Tottenham were already reeling when a long throw-in was headed on at the near post by Andy King and up popped diminutive McKay among the giant Spurs defenders to flick in a goal which the visiting goalkeeper so nearly managed to hang on to but which finally evaded his grasp.

It was McKay's 16th goal in 13 appearances this season and ensured City would remain top of the table.

Persistent winger Max Gradel had given Leicester their lifeline 15 minutes into the second half. He was fouled bursting through into the penalty box and calmly got up the slot the resulting penalty into the left corner of the net. It was his 10th goal in 14 games.

Leicester wrested total control after this and equalised with 15 minutes to go when imperious midfielder Andy King ghosted in to score a close range header from Billy McKay's inch-perfect corner. It was King's seventh goal in 15 and few are likely to be more vital.

City were never at their best in the gale force winds.

Although enjoying plenty of the ball first half they fell behind to a fluke goal. Scott Garner dithered in receiving a defensive throw-in and by the time goalkeeper Carl Pentney struck his clearance he'd been closed down by Spurs' huge centre-forard Pekhart and the ball rebounded off the attacker into the net.

Shortly after, City's were caught out again allowing Spurs left winger to cross behind the home defence for Peckhart to get his second goal having ran back from being a long way offside to suddenly turn and make himself active.

Leicester had two strong penalty claims when McKay appeared first to be clipped and then to be bundled over while breaking clear in the box but the referee was unimpressed.

Ironically he later booked McKay for diving after a third penalty claim and, for sure, he would never have won an Oscar for his effort.

Otherwise only a cracking left-foot volley by Gradel and a fierce free-kick from Beswick had truly threatened the Spuirs goal.

Indeed Leicester probably had fewer shots in the first half than they'd had in any half all season and rarely never really excelled in the second half, by their standards.

But Andy King remained dominant. First he teed up McKay for a vicious shot which flew just over as Leicester enjoyed the wind at their backs.

Then, after the Gradel penalty, King timed a run down the right and delivered a perfect low cross to Ryan Beswick which the winger somehow failed to turn in from close range at the far post.

It seemed Gradel might grab the winner when, for the second time, he galloped over outstretched legs and was left with a clear shot which he pulled wide when unchallenged.

Mattock, Beswick and King then combined for City's best move of the game which ended with a brilliant save by Spurs' keeper from Beswick's low shot.

But finally, when all seemed lost, McKay popped up deliver his fitting finale and City's joy was evident.

Ratings:

Pentney 5 (Unnecessary mistake gifted Spurs their first goal).

Magunda 6 (Timely tackles against a tricky winger but lost his man for the second Spurs goal)

Lycett 6.5 (Spurs centre-forward was a foot taller but he shared the honours despite the striker's two goals)

Garner 5 (Dithering contributed to the goal and looked generally unconvincing)

Mattock 6.5 (Some strong runs second half and always decisive but not at his best)

Gradel 6.5 (Close control was often awful and he ran into stacks of trouble but persisted. Won the penalty from which he scored and had two more dangerous efforts)

King 8.5 (One goal, one assist and so many other vital contributions)

Tejan-Sie 7 (Not quite at his best but still looked a quality player in trying conditions)

Beswick 7 (Some shrewd passes and excellent clipped crosses. Remained compoosed in the wind)

Odhiambo 6 (Made little impression)

McKay 8 (Always dangerous with his nippy runs. One goal, one assist against big and tight-marking opposition)

Subs: Not on enough to warrant a rating.

Leicester Academy U18 3 Spurs Academy U18 2

Impish striker Billy McKay scored a last seconds 3-2 winner which capped a breathtaking fightback by Leicester City Under 18's who had trailed Tottenham 2-0 at half-time in today's dramatic match at Belvoir Drive.

Step aside Bill Anderson, Nice one

Why Pentney keeps on getting picked ahead of Cisak I don't know. It's the second home match in a row where he's gifted the opposition a soft goal. I've said it before and today hasn't changed my opinion, he's not good enough. Tottenham looked one of the more impressive teams I've seen down at Belvoir Drive but their 'keeper was worse than Pentney. He was about 6"7 but couldn't claim a ball in the air and he really should have kept out Mckay's header at the end. His kicking was rubbish too. I watched most of the game with a scout from Reading and he said exactly the same things although he left before the final goal.

Tejan-Sie used to play for Reading but they dithered and he became free to go elsewhere according to this bloke. A very interesting bloke who not only played professional football for Fulham but helped Sheffield United to promotion as an assistant too. He had some interesting stories about Harry Bassett and some not too kind words to say about Martin Allen who got rid of him from Brentford.

Why Pentney keeps on getting picked ahead of Cisak I don't know. It's the second home match in a row where he's gifted the opposition a soft goal. I've said it before and today hasn't changed my opinion, he's not good enough. Tottenham looked one of the more impressive teams I've seen down at Belvoir Drive but their 'keeper was worse than Pentney. He was about 6"7 but couldn't claim a ball in the air and he really should have kept out Mckay's header at the end. His kicking was rubbish too. I watched most of the game with a scout from Reading and he said exactly the same things although he left before the final goal.

Tejan-Sie used to play for Reading but they dithered and he became free to go elsewhere according to this bloke. A very interesting bloke who not only played professional football for Fulham but helped Sheffield United to promotion as an assistant too. He had some interesting stories about Harry Bassett and some not too kind words to say about Martin Allen who got rid of him from Brentford.

Heeyyyy,I no Pentney leave him alone.

I havent seen him play before though.

Sorry to go off-subject but any idea what the helicopter was searching for?. Or was it MM having a crafty look at what his money's gonna fetch?

Sorry to go off-subject but any idea what the helicopter was searching for?. Or was it MM having a crafty look at what his money's gonna fetch?

Looked like a normal police helicopter to me but my gran said it was hovering over the river by her house for ages and it didn't look like the normal police helicopters you get round there.

The other 'keeper is Cisak, he's a big presence when in goal due to his size and seems like a confident lad. Not afraid to tell his defence what to do. Think our defence is lacking in belief in Pentney now.

Looked like a normal police helicopter to me but my gran said it was hovering over the river by her house for ages and it didn't look like the normal police helicopters you get round there.

The other 'keeper is Cisak, he's a big presence when in goal due to his size and seems like a confident lad. Not afraid to tell his defence what to do. Think our defence is lacking in belief in Pentney now.

:cry:

Archived