Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

McKay and King lead Academy fightback

Not every player that Thrac has said could do a job for the first team has materialised though. I remember him sounding very keen on O'Grady at times, for whatever reason, but I think that his sale was the correct thing to do. Thrac may disagree, I don't know. This isn't a dig at Thrac but for every Porter there's a Sheehan and even Porter hasn't made it yet although his second season will be a big pointer towards if he will be able to maintain his levels of performance after a season of personal success (like Richard Stearman this season- levels of performance have dropped).

I like King too, he sounds like a good talker as well as a footballer. Doesn't appear arrogant or over confident but composed and level headed, on the pitch anyway. He does the right things, my worry would be that he could do with a bit more bulk. It doesn't seem to effect him too much at the moment in youth team football where technique is the aim of the game and physical size is secondary. Just look at Stephen Hughes though who I feel has a good technique but his lack of pace and physical presence hampers his game regularly in the Championship. King isn't rapid but probably faster than Hughes but their physical size is similar. It would concern me, especially if the two were playing together either as a central partnership or just in the same midfield.

Being fair the others never had much chance to prove their credentials for various reasons - and Dodds is the same.

Whether a player is right for a team depends in part on what you're trying to achieve and how you intend the team to play.

For the record I did like O'Grady when he returned from Rushden but he and Kelly had their spat, O'Grady's opportunities diminished, injury took his edge and Kelly was right to sell him cos we had better options.

Sheehan's on a vicious circular road to nowhere and its a shame and a waste. He was our best attacking left-back by a distance and why that changed is a mystery.

People insist Joe Mattock is better - he's certainly strong and positive - but I don't know. Mattock would soon annoy me as a teammate for sure whereas Sheehan would compliment his colleagues. Ironically it is perhaps his uncompromising attitude which will make Mattock a success and leave Sheehan in his wake but we'll see.

Dodds' case looks like never being answered and the thing about King as opposed to Hughes is that King is a good header of the ball, and gets into the box much more more often and with much more threat than any of our other midfielders. He is a constant scoring threat. The contrast is pronounced.

I've nothing against Hughes the way he's playing at the moment but if King needs a Lennon alongside him, the nearest we've got would be a fit Wesolowski. I've hopes too for Tom Tejan-Sie in time.

He and King are such key people in the Academy success.

Its great to see the kids doing so well and so many starting to either feature with the first team or be on the fringes of it. At the current rate of selling players and coupled with the delay of the MM takeover, I have a feeling that some of the academy lads will be thrust into the first team sooner rather than later as I cant see us getting more than one loan signing now and no permanent deals.

Come on the academy kids!! :)

I was at the training ground today and the only lad from the current under 18 squad training with the first team was Joe Mattock. Sheehan and Dodds were training but Sheehan, when asked how he was feeling by the strength and conditioning coach said he felt stiff. Doesn't sound like a fully fit footballer if he's stiff and he hasn't even been playing games. I'd expect him to be fresh and ready to take a chance if it comes his way. I would say Sheehan has got an arrogance about him that would annoy me if I was playing with him. I'd rather play with someone like Mattock who isn't afraid to say what he thinks instead of sulking about the place. Although he was quiet today, understandably, Mattock isn't normally afraid to tell people where he thinks they're going wrong. We could do with a few more voices in the squad, it's very quiet. Andy Johnson is chirpy, McCarthy loud and Cadamarteri chatty but the rest are quite reserved. Mattock may not make it, Sheehan was training with the first team at a similar age, but he's made a good early impression on me.

Don't know if he trained with the under 18s or not but Chambers took the drinks out and jogged back to the changing rooms. Looked a bit shaky on his knee but it looks encouraging for him now.

I was at the training ground today and the only lad from the current under 18 squad training with the first team was Joe Mattock. Sheehan and Dodds were training but Sheehan, when asked how he was feeling by the strength and conditioning coach said he felt stiff. Doesn't sound like a fully fit footballer if he's stiff and he hasn't even been playing games. I'd expect him to be fresh and ready to take a chance if it comes his way. I would say Sheehan has got an arrogance about him that would annoy me if I was playing with him. I'd rather play with someone like Mattock who isn't afraid to say what he thinks instead of sulking about the place. Although he was quiet today, understandably, Mattock isn't normally afraid to tell people where he thinks they're going wrong. We could do with a few more voices in the squad, it's very quiet. Andy Johnson is chirpy, McCarthy loud and Cadamarteri chatty but the rest are quite reserved. Mattock may not make it, Sheehan was training with the first team at a similar age, but he's made a good early impression on me.

Don't know if he trained with the under 18s or not but Chambers took the drinks out and jogged back to the changing rooms. Looked a bit shaky on his knee but it looks encouraging for him now.

Chambers is targetting March for his return.

Interesting what you say about Sheehan and Mattock. I could put up with Sheehan's arrogance for the sort of passes he would feed and his other attacking attributes.

Besides he always seemed popular enough with his team-mates, as you'd expect from a captain.

Right now Mattock's getting games in abundance but Sheehan willl have no chance of being fit without games and I doubt he's got anything to motivate him cos the club will obviously choose anyone in front of him - whether they've deserved it or not - and he must have got that message.

Another loan for him soon and then away I'd imagine. The damage has been done now and you can't see it being healed.

Mattock does speak his mind but not, from what I've seen, in a geeing-up, cajoling, forcefully encouraging way. He's passionate yes, but surly and unusually foul mouthed for a young player at times.

On one occasion Saturday I literally heard his expletives from the other side of the pitch and it's not the first time I've seen him that way.

Scott Lycett, I believe it was, yelled at him to pass the ball quicker during one recent game and Lycett was absolutely spot on. But Mattock just snarled and chucked the remark back at him.

You perhaps wouldn't mind so much if he were Mr Perfect but he's a long way from that. Enormously promising yes. Powerful, determined, works hard, drives forward - the lad is totally committed. To that extent you'd love him in your team.

But he doesn't always pick or deliver the right pass, doesn't always read the game, can struggle when people find the space behind him and, as I say, he doesn't use his vocal abilities to necessarily get the best out of people.

But what he does seem to have that Sheehan apparently lacks is that most important of words for a footballer...desire.

Sheehan's a classy player. If he could ever have mixed his elegance with Mattock's unswerving focus then he'd have found his missing ingredient. But I can't see that happening while he's here, if at all now.

Mattock seems to be the way forward and on recent achievement and application that's hardly surprising.

Chambers is targetting March for his return.

Interesting what you say about Sheehan and Mattock. I could put up with Sheehan's arrogance for the sort of passes he would feed and his other attacking attributes.

Besides he always seemed popular enough with his team-mates, as you'd expect from a captain.

Right now Mattock's getting games in abundance but Sheehan willl have no chance of being fit without games and I doubt he's got anything to motivate him cos the club will obviously choose anyone in front of him - whether they've deserved it or not - and he must have got that message.

Another loan for him soon and then away I'd imagine. The damage has been done now and you can't see it being healed.

Mattock does speak his mind but not, from what I've seen, in a geeing-up, cajoling, forcefully encouraging way. He's passionate yes, but surly and unusually foul mouthed for a young player at times.

On one occasion Saturday I literally heard his expletives from the other side of the pitch and it's not the first time I've seen him that way.

Scott Lycett, I believe it was, yelled at him to pass the ball quicker during one recent game and Lycett was absolutely spot on. But Mattock just snarled and chucked the remark back at him.

You perhaps wouldn't mind so much if he were Mr Perfect but he's a long way from that. Enormously promising yes. Powerful, determined, works hard, drives forward - the lad is totally committed. To that extent you'd love him in your team.

But he doesn't always pick or deliver the right pass, doesn't always read the game, can struggle when people find the space behind him and, as I say, he doesn't use his vocal abilities to necessarily get the best out of people.

But what he does seem to have that Sheehan apparently lacks is that most important of words for a footballer...desire.

Sheehan's a classy player. If he could ever have mixed his elegance with Mattock's unswerving focus then he'd have found his missing ingredient. But I can't see that happening while he's here, if at all now.

Mattock seems to be the way forward and on recent achievement and application that's hardly surprising.

Mattock reacts to criticism vocally. I've seen Sheehan make mistakes, be criticised and then seem to think "what's the point of playing?". That kind of attitude gets you nowhere. Ability is all well and good but application's important too. I'm yet to see Mattock give up in a game of football. If someone criticises him it spurs him on and he continues putting 100%. As a supporter I can handle seeing a player not pass a football quick enough on a couple of occasions if they put 100% effort in for 90 minutes. For the few mistakes Mattock makes he brings some great attacking play to the left wing and some creative passing plus a decent final ball into the box.

Don't think for one second that the rest of the team don't say similar things to each other as Mattock does. It seems you watch most games from the touchline. I often watch one half from behind the goal and then watch the other half from the touchline. I've heard Lycett rip into Pentney and Garner before. Magunda's one of few players that genuinely encourages all game long. Gradel's been heard swearing at spectators before!

Mattock is a young 17 year old who I gather comes from one of the less pleasant areas of Leicester if my mate's correct. If you've been brought up with swearing in your vocabulary it doesn't seem wrong to use it. The only reason you can hear him above anyone else is because he is much louder than the others. I've even heard King swear at the ref once, would you believe, and he seems a mild mannered young man.

Sheehan is a lost cause in my book. He's shown that he doesn't react very well to competition. Some players would see it as a challenge, Sheehan seems to see it as an inconvenience. He doesn't have a devine right to play for our first team because he was once the young player of the season. The chances for young players are vast at this club. Levi Porter has become a regular now, Wesolowski is a valuble member of the squad, Logan has had a spell as number one. If Sheehan can't take note of this and up his game then I think that's his own stupid fault. Kelly has no qualms about playing good young players, that says something about Sheehan to me!

Not the same management who signed Low and Sylla? :D Only joking.

Seriously, you've made some important points and have hgiven me a lot to think about.

In truth the player ratings serve no great purpose and I can see they could conceivably heap unnecessary pressure on young players who are still learning their trade.

On the other hand those players are going into a business where internal and external criticism are part and parcel of what they'll have to get used to. It's not always going to be easy being a footballer. Especially when you make mistakes.

I can guess who you're referring to and, if that guess is right, would have had something to say about it after today's game, had I been manager.

But I'm not. What I can do is bear in mind what you've said and perhaps take a more understanding and sympathetic tack in future if you think it will help.

You? Heap unnesessary pressure on our younger players? never.

Mattock reacts to criticism vocally. I've seen Sheehan make mistakes, be criticised and then seem to think "what's the point of playing?". That kind of attitude gets you nowhere. Ability is all well and good but application's important too. I'm yet to see Mattock give up in a game of football. If someone criticises him it spurs him on and he continues putting 100%. As a supporter I can handle seeing a player not pass a football quick enough on a couple of occasions if they put 100% effort in for 90 minutes. For the few mistakes Mattock makes he brings some great attacking play to the left wing and some creative passing plus a decent final ball into the box.

Don't think for one second that the rest of the team don't say similar things to each other as Mattock does. It seems you watch most games from the touchline. I often watch one half from behind the goal and then watch the other half from the touchline. I've heard Lycett rip into Pentney and Garner before. Magunda's one of few players that genuinely encourages all game long. Gradel's been heard swearing at spectators before!

Mattock is a young 17 year old who I gather comes from one of the less pleasant areas of Leicester if my mate's correct. If you've been brought up with swearing in your vocabulary it doesn't seem wrong to use it. The only reason you can hear him above anyone else is because he is much louder than the others. I've even heard King swear at the ref once, would you believe, and he seems a mild mannered young man.

Sheehan is a lost cause in my book. He's shown that he doesn't react very well to competition. Some players would see it as a challenge, Sheehan seems to see it as an inconvenience. He doesn't have a devine right to play for our first team because he was once the young player of the season. The chances for young players are vast at this club. Levi Porter has become a regular now, Wesolowski is a valuble member of the squad, Logan has had a spell as number one. If Sheehan can't take note of this and up his game then I think that's his own stupid fault. Kelly has no qualms about playing good young players, that says something about Sheehan to me!

From what I've seen of Mattock I'd say he's one of our more promising players, he's twice as good defensively as Sheehan and he his attitude is sound from what I can tell. He's a very effective footballer at Academy level and one of the main reasons we're as good as we are.

Sheehan had a very good left foot but unfortunatley for him if your going to play Left back at a proffesional level you need a bit more than that. He'll be gone soon along with Dodds.

From what I've seen of Mattock I'd say he's one of our more promising players, he's twice as good defensively as Sheehan and he his attitude is sound from what I can tell. He's a very effective footballer at Academy level and one of the main reasons we're as good as we are.

Sheehan had a very good left foot but unfortunatley for him if your going to play Left back at a proffesional level you need a bit more than that. He'll be gone soon along with Dodds.

MyLeftFoot.jpg

Sling all the kids in, sell everyone over 21 and lets have a real go at this division. Maybe bring back Dion Dublin, his brother Eddie, Steve Walsh and Paul Walsh (ex-Spurs) for abit of experience but leave it all to the kids, they are all nailed on world-beaters :dunno::whistle::whistle:

I'd keep Dodds. ;):thumbup:

Terrific post and lots of good points that I accept almost entirely.

My point about Mattock is that he is clearly a strong personality and I wouldn't want that to change, but I would like him to use that strength, and his vocal strength in particular, to gee people up rather than to wreck their confidence.

Why? Because if there's a weak link in a team on any one day it probably won't mend if confidence is further shattered by a verbal lambasting.

We perhaps differ a bit on the relative importance of passing and 100% commitment. Fans often seem to appreicate, as I do, what they see as wholehearted players - the Stuart Peace, Danny Tiatto types - and more easily forgive their shortcomings than the posey sorts like Gareth Williams/Kinkladze/Hoddle.

But a football team needs a combination of qualities. Not everyone's going to be a headless chicken and personally I think bad passing is just as destructive as bad attitude. We've had too many bad passers in our first team for too long and if I had to give a single reason for our failings it would be that rather than any lack of spirit.

Ummm. Debatable that first paragraph. Injuries decimated the Academy back four in the FA Youth Cup and Mattock was never especially convincing when forced to shoulder more responsibility.

Yes, he's a valuable cog in the wheel but I reckon there's perhaps five or six players ahead of him when it comes to being vital to the Academy's success.

In fact, defensively, we're not that clever at all. It's just that it isn't always apparent because of the time we spend at the other end and Mattock, of course, contributes to that..

Terrific post and lots of good points that I accept almost entirely.

My point about Mattock is that he is clearly a strong personality and I wouldn't want that to change, but I would like him to use that strength, and his vocal strength in particular, to gee people up rather than to wreck their confidence.

Why? Because if there's a weak link in a team on any one day it probably won't mend if confidence is further shattered by a verbal lambasting.

We perhaps differ a bit on the relative importance of passing and 100% commitment. Fans often seem to appreicate, as I do, what they see as wholehearted players - the Stuart Peace, Danny Tiatto types - and more easily forgive their shortcomings than the posey sorts like Gareth Williams/Kinkladze/Hoddle.

But a football team needs a combination of qualities. Not everyone's going to be a headless chicken and personally I think bad passing is just as destructive as bad attitude. We've had too many bad passers in our first team for too long and if I had to give a single reason for our failings it would be that rather than any lack of spirit.

But Mattock isn't that bad a passer of a football really. Sometimes he over complicates things by trying to make quick passes with the outside of his boot, I think you'll know what I mean. They look impressive when they come off but if they don't then it can leave him with egg on his face a little. I would say his performances around the start of the new year haven't been as explosive as they were at the beginning of the season, I'm just encouraged to see him training with the first team. It can only be good for him. He may end up as a left midfielder not a left back, he's got a lot of developing still to go so who knows all I'll say is he's got the kind of mix that a modern day footballer needs. Ability, workrate, strength, physical fitness and bit of pace. Some of his downfalls are things that will probably come with experience and matches. At least it looks like he's got the enthusiasm to learn which is importnat for his long term progression. I would hope that next season when he's a second year scholar and no longer one of the 'youngsters' he will watch his mouth a bit more. He'll have less need to make himself heard then and will be expected to act with more maturity as an 18 year old.

As I don't get down to watch the academy & reserves as much as I used to, the one player that did impress me the most last season and the few times i've seen them this season is Mattock.

Got something about him that makes him stand out on the pitch. Might be presence, but the lad has ability. So do a few of them in the under 18's.

If rumours are true, Mattock has had Man United and Chelsea both trying to pinch him. We need to keep hold of this lad. Could be the left back we badly need.

This will be brilliant further experience for Mattock and if he's training with the first team squad it is obvious the management rate him highly.

I can imagine him being just Kelly's type of player. He's very much in the Tiatto mould in his approach - always tenacious and all over the opposition. And like Tiatto he's also got skill and gets himself right up the park and even to the opposition goalline on occasions.

The big thing he has compared with all the players who've played left-back for us is his drive to support attacks.

Just like Tiatto, and as referred to by JBF, he's got the touch to play left midfield although whether he'll have the quality, the smooth long-life engine and the effortless movement of Tom Tejan-Sie I don't know.

Power, strength, and competitive aggression are the watchwords of modern football and, while champions have things on top like speed, guile and an ability to conjure-up the unexpected, Mattock ticks some important boxes.

If any person's demeanour expresses Kelly's catchphrase of "Hard to Beat" it is Mattock. Whether attitude and outcome would be the same at first team level it will be interesting to see.

I thought perhaps you'd played against him! :D

Nope, never did. I watched him playing football when he was maybe 13, 14, and he was very good, certainly, but there were people I played at school with who I thought were better, maybe even if they weren't. makes you realise that the coaches and scouts do a helluva job spotting raw talent and moulding it - they must be a mite disappointed when their conveyor belt produces more conference players than Leicester first-teamers, even if that is the harsh reality in most cases.

I think the last time I spoke to him and we were proper matey I was about 10, 11. I raced him and lost by less than half a yard and was crushed because I used to be about fastest person at my primary school. lol

Just like to point out that Mattock is only 16, not 17.

Ah right, I only thought he was 17 because when going out to train Ian Miller made a comment about him being a big, strong 17 year old. Good to know the coaching staff know what they're working with! :rolleyes:

Archived