Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

McKay and King lead Academy fightback

i don't think you should be giving each player a rating like that. It seems very unfair to do such a thing on a website such as this.

It's just his way to try and say "Andy King, best thing since sliced bread, should, be playing week in, weekout, with the captain's armband"

It's just his way to try and say "Andy King, best thing since sliced bread, should, be playing week in, weekout, with the captain's armband"

I often find it more interesting to be watching a few players who might be capable of mending our weak spots than listening to the same old excuses for playing the same old players.

Having watched the video highlights from Fulham I couldn't believe we had defenders collecting marks of around seven. It was X certificate as far as I could see.

Anyway, as far as the youth team was concerned there were plenty of others there who will doubltess offer their opinion. But as far as I could see King and McKay were way out front as Man of the Match contestants.

And 20 goals between them in 31 matches pretty much speaks for itself.

I often find it more interesting to be watching a few players who might be capable of mending our weak spots than listening to the same old excuses for playing the same old players.

Having watched the video highlights from Fulham I couldn't believe we had defenders collecting marks of around seven. It was X certificate as far as I could see.

Anyway, as far as the youth team was concerned there were plenty of others there who will doubltess offer their opinion. But as far as I could see King and McKay were way out front as Man of the Match contestants.

Although I won't dispute that some of the defending was atrocious for the goals - and as far as I recall I gave a couple of 7s and a couple of 6s I think in the ratings - they kept Fulham extremely quiet going forward in the first half and I thought McAuley in particular looked very comfortable and would have got an 8 from me if it wasn't for his lack of pace being exploited by Radzinski for their first goal. On looking at the highlights you could point the finger of blame at each of the defenders for the goals conceded but the bottom line is that they defended well in the first half and we were overrun in midfield in the second half and they had a hell of a lot to do. Sometimes the highlights don't give you a fair reflection of an individual's workload and performance during the game as a whole.

Were they extended highlights? 7 is definately a bit high; 5 for Paddy Mac and 6 for Kisnorbo would be fair, and maybe 6.5 for the two fullbacks. We made some awful mistakes, yeah, but also soaked up a lot of pressure at times from an attack of better quality than we usually play against. It was really more good than bad, just a couple of silly mistakes and a bit of bad luck, really.

Yes but the thing you don't seem to realise is, they aren't playing at championshiplevel.

Why's that then?

It just feels a bit wrong, and actually a bit creepy to be honest.

It's an unecessary performace evaluation that could cause problems, because trust me, most of them look on here and they have mates who regularly do as well.

if anyones going to rate them let it be the management, i'm just a bit uneasy about it, because it's already started to lead to people picking on certain individuals.

Although I won't dispute that some of the defending was atrocious for the goals - and as far as I recall I gave a couple of 7s and a couple of 6s I think in the ratings - they kept Fulham extremely quiet going forward in the first half and I thought McAuley in particular looked very comfortable and would have got an 8 from me if it wasn't for his lack of pace being exploited by Radzinski for their first goal. On looking at the highlights you could point the finger of blame at each of the defenders for the goals conceded but the bottom line is that they defended well in the first half and we were overrun in midfield in the second half and they had a hell of a lot to do. Sometimes the highlights don't give you a fair reflection of an individual's workload and performance during the game as a whole.

You were there and I accept that.

At the time I gave the defenders for the fulham game these

McAuley - 8

McCarthy 6

Kisnorbo 7

Maybury 6

I think McAuley's had something to do with the goal and him playing slightly out of position.

I could have easily have given McCarthy 5 and Kisnorbo 6 but it was a really open game on wedneday and in Montella they came up against a European and International class player.

It's an unecessary performace evaluation that could cause problems, because trust me, most of them look on here and they have mates who regularly do as well.

if anyones going to rate them let it be the management, i'm just a bit uneasy about it, because it's already started to lead to people picking on certain individuals.

Not the same management who signed Low and Sylla? :D Only joking.

Seriously, you've made some important points and have hgiven me a lot to think about.

In truth the player ratings serve no great purpose and I can see they could conceivably heap unnecessary pressure on young players who are still learning their trade.

On the other hand those players are going into a business where internal and external criticism are part and parcel of what they'll have to get used to. It's not always going to be easy being a footballer. Especially when you make mistakes.

I can guess who you're referring to and, if that guess is right, would have had something to say about it after today's game, had I been manager.

But I'm not. What I can do is bear in mind what you've said and perhaps take a more understanding and sympathetic tack in future if you think it will help.

Academy Get Their Spurs

Leicester City's under 18 side got back to winning ways with a 3-2 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Belvoir Drive training ground on Saturday afternoon.

The focus for the weekend had been placed on the youngsters after the Foxes' first team clash against Birmingham City was postponed.

And the young charges didn't disappoint - coming back from 2-0 down with three goals in the second half to take all three points.

Max Gradel got the ball rolling from the penalty spot, before a trademark Andy King header and a late Billy McKay strike gave City their first victory of 2007.

The Foxes are now level on points with Reading at the top of the Group B table, but have a game in hand over their rivals.

Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "We played some excellent football in difficult conditions. The game was one of the highlights of the season to date for us.

"We went two goals down against the wind in the first half, but I was pleased with the way we played throughout.

"It looked as though the Gods were against us when Carl Pentney, our goalkeeper, saw an early clearance ricochet of their striker and into his goal.

"But the lads kept their heads up and thoroughly deserved the victory on the day."

City: Pentney, Magund, Lycett, Garner, Mattock, Gradel (Rowe-Turner), King, Tejan-Sie, Beswick, McKay, Odhiambo (Rochester).

From a Spurs website. :ph34r: Good to see the under 16s winning as well. ;):thumbup:

SATURDAY 20TH JANUARY, 2007

FA PREMIERSHIP ACADEMY UNDER 18S

Leicester U-18s 3 (0) Spurs U-18s 2 (2)

Leicester scorerS:-

Gradel (pen)

King

McKay

Spurs scorer:-

Pekhart (2)

Teams:-

Leicester:- Pentney, Magund, Lycett, Garner, Mattock, Gradel (Rowe-Turner), King, Tejan-Sie, Beswick, McKay, Odhiambo (Rochester).

Spurs :- Button; Hughton, Archibald-Henville (Capt.), Casey, Martin (sub Mdantari); Fraser-Allen (sub Townsend), Kassim, Wells, Hutton; Pekhart, Hutchins

Subs not used:- Stroud; Mills; Medley

"Marco B. Wilde" is a member of several message boards, including Spurs Odyssey. Marco took the trip to Leicester's Belvoir Drive Training School yesterday, and has kindly allowed us to publish here his thoughts on the game. It certainly looks as if he saw a better game than I did at Craven Cottage!

I decided to pop along to Leicester City's training ground this morning to watch our U18's play the league leaders. It was a decent game although the weather played its part with strong swirling winds. We were 2-0 up at half time from a Tomas Pekhart double. The first after he closed down the Leicester keeper who was making a clearance on the egde of his own box. The ball cannoned off the Czech striker's back & flew into the far corner of the net. The second was on the stroke of half time from the egde of the box. The truth is we weren't that much better than Leicester.

Leicester's passing throughout the whole 90 minutes was crisp, effective & pleasing on the eye. We were ahead because of Pekhart's clinical finishing. In the second half Leicester were by far the more ambitious & composed. Their first goal came from a penalty, they had a shout a little before that that we were lucky to get away with after one of their strikers had been hacked down on the edge of the box. The penalty was given for an identical offence. It was difficult to see in the melee who had committed the foul but the player looking the most guilty was Chris Casey.

Leicester City's Max Gradel stepped up & put the ball into the opposite corner to Button's dive.

Their second was bundled in from a set piece. (King header)Their third by Billy Mckay came from the sheer probing from midfield. We were looking very panicky & they just sliced us open on their right hand side before the ball was placed into the far corner, although David Button seemed to have saved it before it squirmed through his hands.

You have to factor in the conditions which were pretty rough on the lads although obviously applied to both sides but ultimately we just didn't pass the ball well enough. There was nice stuff centrally at times but it was all safe little triangles that didn't really take us anywhere. Whenever we had the ball at the back we seemed to just end up hoofing it aimlessly into a pack of blue shirted Leicester players. The opposition played some nice stuff & genuinely worked our defence. The front 4 (strikers & wingers) weren't a unit, we didn't make use of opportunities in the wide areas & Pekhart & Hutchins were essentially trying to do the same holding up job up front.

I'm sure we can play better & I know we will do but Alex Inglethorpe (who was in the dug-out along with Academy director John McDermott) needs to get the players believing in the passing game. It was that lack of belief that cost us in the end, as well as some sloppy defending when it really counted. Its also important to remember that there were one or two players missing & quality players at that, in Terry Dixon, Jake Livermore & Jamie Davis. We missed all of those today.

As an aside, the U16's were playing their Leicester City equivalents on the upper pitch & ran out 1-0 losers.

Academy Get Their Spurs

Leicester City's under 18 side got back to winning ways with a 3-2 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at the Belvoir Drive training ground on Saturday afternoon.

The focus for the weekend had been placed on the youngsters after the Foxes' first team clash against Birmingham City was postponed.

And the young charges didn't disappoint - coming back from 2-0 down with three goals in the second half to take all three points.

Max Gradel got the ball rolling from the penalty spot, before a trademark Andy King header and a late Billy McKay strike gave City their first victory of 2007.

The Foxes are now level on points with Reading at the top of the Group B table, but have a game in hand over their rivals.

Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "We played some excellent football in difficult conditions. The game was one of the highlights of the season to date for us.

"We went two goals down against the wind in the first half, but I was pleased with the way we played throughout.

"It looked as though the Gods were against us when Carl Pentney, our goalkeeper, saw an early clearance ricochet of their striker and into his goal.

"But the lads kept their heads up and thoroughly deserved the victory on the day."

City: Pentney, Magund, Lycett, Garner, Mattock, Gradel (Rowe-Turner), King, Tejan-Sie, Beswick, McKay, Odhiambo (Rochester).

I think they've got that stat from here

Group B - As at: Sat 13 Jan 07 21:20

P W D L F A GD PTS

Leicester Yth 16 11 3 2 58 25 33 36

Reading Yth 17 11 3 3 33 18 15 36

Tottenham Yth 16 8 7 1 32 21 11 31

Aston Villa Yth 16 6 7 3 28 20 8 25

Watford Yth 17 7 4 6 33 31 2 25

Birmingham Yth 16 6 3 7 27 34 -7 21

Bristol City Yth 16 5 3 8 31 36 -5 18

Coventry Yth 17 5 3 9 20 26 -6 18

Cardiff Yth 15 1 2 12 12 34 -22 5

Milton Keynes Dons Yth 16 1 0 15 11 47 -36 3

But Reading didn't play yesterday and we played and won so we should be three points ahead and level on games played. Think that was just a bit of lazy journalism although could be wrong.

I think they've got that stat from here

Group B - As at: Sat 13 Jan 07 21:20

P W D L F A GD PTS

Leicester Yth 16 11 3 2 58 25 33 36

Reading Yth 17 11 3 3 33 18 15 36

Tottenham Yth 16 8 7 1 32 21 11 31

Aston Villa Yth 16 6 7 3 28 20 8 25

Watford Yth 17 7 4 6 33 31 2 25

Birmingham Yth 16 6 3 7 27 34 -7 21

Bristol City Yth 16 5 3 8 31 36 -5 18

Coventry Yth 17 5 3 9 20 26 -6 18

Cardiff Yth 15 1 2 12 12 34 -22 5

Milton Keynes Dons Yth 16 1 0 15 11 47 -36 3

But Reading didn't play yesterday and we played and won so we should be three points ahead and level on games played. Think that was just a bit of lazy journalism although could be wrong.

I think you're right JBF. Foxestalk leads the way! :thumbup:

How old is king, i'd like to see him get 20 minutes off the bench against maybe southend or barnsley to see what he's like.

Thrac has built him up a lot so people jsut take the mick every time he mentions him, but thrac was right about porter so why should'nt he be right about king?

He will probably have to wait till a porter type situation when we have few fit CM's, but when he get's his chance I hope he can do well , although if he doesn't come on and score a hattrick and set up 10 goals people will say he's not ready and should go back to playing academy, after the hype thrac has given him anyway :):P

What I was trying to say basically was, I hope king gets a chance i nthe first team this year, and I hope the people on here don't expect loads of him because Thracian has hyped him up :thumbup:

How old is king, i'd like to see him get 20 minutes off the bench against maybe southend or barnsley to see what he's like.

Thrac has built him up a lot so people jsut take the mick every time he mentions him, but thrac was right about porter so why should'nt he be right about king?

He will probably have to wait till a porter type situation when we have few fit CM's, but when he get's his chance I hope he can do well , although if he doesn't come on and score a hattrick and set up 10 goals people will say he's not ready and should go back to playing academy, after the hype thrac has given him anyway :):P

What I was trying to say basically was, I hope king gets a chance i nthe first team this year, and I hope the people on here don't expect loads of him because Thracian has hyped him up :thumbup:

Not every player that Thrac has said could do a job for the first team has materialised though. I remember him sounding very keen on O'Grady at times, for whatever reason, but I think that his sale was the correct thing to do. Thrac may disagree, I don't know. This isn't a dig at Thrac but for every Porter there's a Sheehan and even Porter hasn't made it yet although his second season will be a big pointer towards if he will be able to maintain his levels of performance after a season of personal success (like Richard Stearman this season- levels of performance have dropped).

I like King too, he sounds like a good talker as well as a footballer. Doesn't appear arrogant or over confident but composed and level headed, on the pitch anyway. He does the right things, my worry would be that he could do with a bit more bulk. It doesn't seem to effect him too much at the moment in youth team football where technique is the aim of the game and physical size is secondary. Just look at Stephen Hughes though who I feel has a good technique but his lack of pace and physical presence hampers his game regularly in the Championship. King isn't rapid but probably faster than Hughes but their physical size is similar. It would concern me, especially if the two were playing together either as a central partnership or just in the same midfield.

Not every player that Thrac has said could do a job for the first team has materialised though. I remember him sounding very keen on O'Grady at times, for whatever reason, but I think that his sale was the correct thing to do. Thrac may disagree, I don't know. This isn't a dig at Thrac but for every Porter there's a Sheehan and even Porter hasn't made it yet although his second season will be a big pointer towards if he will be able to maintain his levels of performance after a season of personal success (like Richard Stearman this season- levels of performance have dropped).

I like King too, he sounds like a good talker as well as a footballer. Doesn't appear arrogant or over confident but composed and level headed, on the pitch anyway. He does the right things, my worry would be that he could do with a bit more bulk. It doesn't seem to effect him too much at the moment in youth team football where technique is the aim of the game and physical size is secondary. Just look at Stephen Hughes though who I feel has a good technique but his lack of pace and physical presence hampers his game regularly in the Championship. King isn't rapid but probably faster than Hughes but their physical size is similar. It would concern me, especially if the two were playing together either as a central partnership or just in the same midfield.

I honestly don't think bulk in itself is important, there have been planty of instances of excellent scrawny midfielders (Muzzy?). What is important is how they use what bulk they do have, as in standing your ground, using your balance, making full use of leverage. Thay could do worse than getting some judo or similar marshal arts under their belts to learn these things.

I honestly don't think bulk in itself is important, there have been planty of instances of excellent scrawny midfielders (Muzzy?). What is important is how they use what bulk they do have, as in standing your ground, using your balance, making full use of leverage. Thay could do worse than getting some judo or similar marshal arts under their belts to learn these things.

If you're slow and weak, like Hughes has shown, you can have some ability but rarely have the ball at your feet to show what you can do with it. King is of a similar build, slightly faster, not rapid. Muzzy Izzet is in a different bracket. He had amazing ability, more so than Hughes and King lumped together but was no slouch either. He could nip in, take the ball away from a player and do his stuff. Musn't forget that he had Neil Lennon by his side for many seasons who could do the dirty work. Can't see Gareth Williams getting his shorts dirty just to win the ball and give it to King to do his thing. Bulk may not be important, I still think if you put Stephen Hughes into an Academy match he would find the going a lot easier than he does in the Championship and equally I think King will find the Championship a tougher proposition for similar reasons as Hughes does.

If you're slow and weak, like Hughes has shown, you can have some ability but rarely have the ball at your feet to show what you can do with it. King is of a similar build, slightly faster, not rapid. Muzzy Izzet is in a different bracket. He had amazing ability, more so than Hughes and King lumped together but was no slouch either. He could nip in, take the ball away from a player and do his stuff. Musn't forget that he had Neil Lennon by his side for many seasons who could do the dirty work. Can't see Gareth Williams getting his shorts dirty just to win the ball and give it to King to do his thing. Bulk may not be important, I still think if you put Stephen Hughes into an Academy match he would find the going a lot easier than he does in the Championship and equally I think King will find the Championship a tougher proposition for similar reasons as Hughes does.

Hi JBF, Agree, I wasn't suggesting these two players had the same physical capabilities as Muzzy just more or less the same build. I just think it's misleading to say that they aren't 'strong' enough just because they lack bulk when what they lack, certainly in Hughes's case is strength.

Use too play Footie with Billy on My old Field in me street, Lad was absolute quality, in all honesty i can see Billy going all the way in terms of high performance if he keeps the same attitude he had a few years back .. Good luck Billy mate =) Hope you make it at City.

For some fans who don't go to watch the academy, it might be good for them to keep up to date with who's playing well for the academy?

Stephen Dawson was one of the most imposing and outstanding footballers i've ever seen at youth and reserve level but never made it here. Ok, so he's highly rated by Mansfield fans but will he ever be good enough to play at Championship level? Your right about being cautious about some youngsters. King does impress me, but as you say he looks quite lightweight.

Archived